• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Here's a thought...

Re: Here\'s a thought...

I think "the hand" that Kosh sent Sheridan was an image, not a singular definition which only applied to him. A hand has an equal and an opposite, which was the metaphor for the juxtaposition of Justin and Sheridan. I think this will play out to be a similar deal with The Hand, which no doubt has an equal and opposite. The images are related, but not who the images refer to.

With the Thirdspace aliens, the Vorlons "considered" them Gods, just as they started to believe that they themselves were. They were wrong (unless you still worship the Vorlons...). IT's their perception of God, not necessarily the right one.

There is no one singular perception of God on Earth, so I'd wager this would fit in with jms's vision of a multi-denomonational future.

Also, Lorien wasn't considered God, or worshipped. Probably revered is the most accurate term. They trusted him, they took stock in what he had to stay, and "honoured" him by returning to Z'ha'dum, but I don't get a worship vibe of the Shadows or Vorlons. If the Vorlons considered Lorien a God, then why did they later believe that they themselves were?

I think the Vorlons equated God with power, the Thirdspace aliens were powerful, and Thirdspace itself more potent than normal or hyperspace, so a reasonable (for them) conclusion. For the Thirdspace aliens they were the only race where they were, so technically they were all Gods, or all peasants -- basically there couldn't be a heirarchy of races. No-one came before or after them as far as they were concerned, so why not think of themselves as Gods?

Lorien had power, possibly trancending anything that we've seen. But the fact that we didn't see much of it (only really when he raised Sheridan, etc) implies that the Vorlons may not have been as aware of Loriens power. Loriens true power lay in wisdom. He had accumulated more knowledge (assumedly) than any other being, but power is in the eye of the beholder. The true power comes not with arms, but with understanding. Sheridan's fleet couldn't defeat the combined Shadow/Vorlon fleet at Corianus 6 using force - they understood their way out. They "outgrew" their "parents".

Lorien is definitely the oldest, of that there is no doubt. Why didn't he mention them? He mentioned races that had passed beyond the rim. All the older races had left except the Vorlons, Shadows and the few other stragglers. As "The Hand" had been banished from our domain, this statement still holds true. After Lorien left, this fact was subject to change.

Lorien came back to collect Sheridan, so we know that the First One came back, and it's possible that perhaps the odd Shadow might have ventured back between the end of the series and the end of the universe! With that logic, other first ones, or whatever name applies to the Hand to fit them into the order of things, may return. Lorien's statement was, after all, only true at the very second he made it. After that "truth is fluid, truth is transitory."

The Vorlons were "younger" than the Shadows, and both the Shadows and Vorlons were among the younger of the first ones, so it stands to reason that there would be something older than the Shadows, with a power which would make them "look like insects" by comparison. The cycle of things is from Chaos to Order, and then to sythesis. Out of the chaos of the shadows, came the need for order which the Vorlons instilled. Finally all the races in the Third Age found a balance, and our own direction between the two. Are the Hand so old that they embrace chaos, or so developed that they have the wisdom to rival Lorien (to good or ill effect)? Do they have a completely different agenda?

I can't wait for jms to get his chance to answer all these questions (well some at least) and to pose new ones...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by newstarinthesky:
The Vorlons were "younger" than the Shadows, and both the Shadows and Vorlons were among the younger of the first ones,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait a minute. The Shadows were the oldest of the first ones, second only to Lorien's race.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

It's a race of Susan Ivonava's!!! Season 4, ep 85 "Between the Darkness and the Light"

"Who am I? I'm Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I'm death incarnate and the last living thing that you're ever going to see. God sent me."

See! Says it all right there. The last three words: god sent me!!! This proves it's a race of Susan Ivonava's.

------------------

I don't think it is too wise to emphasize who is really god in this universe, since JMS has the final say and can take it any which way. As Lorien might say "If I tell you my name is God, what good does that do? It tells you nothing, yet it is a name, and names have power" and in this case this name has the power to confuse.

Lorien never claimed to be god, he insinuated that there was a power greater than him (the Universe at large?) The Shadows and Vorlons considered themselves gods ... as I recall Lorien said this as an explanation for their giving up on their "rules of engagement", but it's anybodies guess who has the real power in JMS's mind.
So I guess all that can be certain is that the Vorlons were aiming for "God" in Thirdspace, the door swung the wrong way (as best they were able to figure, according to Lyta) and bang you got beings more mentally powerful than some Vorlons. I gotta wonder how the Thirdspace race matches up against the Shadows.

------------------
"Humanity IS my business"
or the always popular
"You can get farther with a kind word and a 2 b four, than you can with just a kind word"

I think the whole point of the "stronger more powerful alien race" is that no one has absolute power. There is no "god" race. Some are stronger than others, but none are so strong as to be untouchable.

------------------
Alec McClymont
3D Artist - GVFX
"Something is only impossible until it's not."

Something else that sparks a thought, if the Thirdspace theory is solid, I wonder who set up the portal that was destroyed in the Rangers pilot, it took a feat of great tech. and power source to open the thirdspace gate, yet some other older? group did it amongst some ruins. Very large gap in tech there, sounds more like technomage kind of skills to open into another dimension. Speaking of which, it doesn't seem to me JMS would open all these different dimensions up, more likely just one dimension from both Rangers and Thirdspace, he's just not that sloppy in my opinion.

------------------
or the always popular
"You can get farther with a kind word and a 2 b four, than you can with just a kind word"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slade:
I think the whole point of the "stronger more powerful alien race" is that no one has absolute power. There is no "god" race. Some are stronger than others, but none are so strong as to be untouchable.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would tend to agree. I think JMS is very aware of the whole balance thing that exists in life and just as there is good in every bad thing, and bad in every good thing, nothing is without weakness to some degree. That is important to keep in mind while discussing all these races, thanks.

------------------
or the always popular

Personally I don't think the place the Hand were sent is another dimension. I tend to think of it more like a prison. It might be something that was constructed to hold them. In any case, we really don't know at this point.

------------------
Alec McClymont
3D Artist - GVFX
"Something is only impossible until it's not."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Talathanar:
It's a race of Susan Ivonava's!!! Season 4, ep 85 "Between the Darkness and the Light"

"Who am I? I'm Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I'm death incarnate and the last living thing that you're ever going to see. God sent me."

See! Says it all right there. The last three words: god sent me!!! This proves it's a race of Susan Ivonava's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good to me, just sick her on those Hand guys, they won't know what hit them.

------------------
or the always popular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slade:
Personally I don't think the place the Hand were sent is another dimension. I tend to think of it more like a prison. It might be something that was constructed to hold them. In any case, we really don't know at this point.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must agree. There are no concrete revalations to be made yet. If we laid all the quotable facts out on a table, the puzzle would not even resemble anything certain yet. But speculation IS fun, so long as everybody knows the score. JMS needs to publish a "hitchhikers guide to B5 parallel universes and carved sections of space" (that may be used for prisons) sounds like a typical thing to just open hole and dump some unwanted garbage in, but hole to what IS the question?

------------------
or the always popular

I don't think that the Thirdspace aliens and the Hand are the same thing. The Thirdspacers' object of destroying all life except for their own was made clear in the movie Thirdspace. The Hand's object wasn't made clear in the Ranger movie, except perhaps revenge for being banished to this other dimension that G'Kar and Martel speak of.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Wait a minute. The Shadows were the oldest of the first ones, second only to Lorien's race.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't remember this heirarchy being given. Makes sense due to the order out of chaos babylonioan creation myth though. Do you remember which episode stated that the Shadows were the second oldest? If so let me know and I'll give it another viewing.

------------------

Delenn tells Sheridan that the Shadows are the oldest of the first ones. This is not one hundred percent reliable because the Vorlons had an interest in making themselves appear in need of help but from various JMS posts other than leaving out Lorien the Shadows appear to be the oldest race in our galaxy. One such post is this:

"So, if that is the case, were there ever species older than the shadows?
"

Well...at least one....

jms

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back