• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Has anyone else noticed...

Recoil

Regular
And perhaps this has been mentioned before, but since I haven't seen it, here goes anyway...

Joe Straczynski
Jeffry Sinclair
John Sheridan

All have initials of J.S.

Coincidence? Doubtful.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Yeah, I brought this up on a couple of occasions:

1) I think someone was saying something about JMS' character, and I said something to the effect that he is allowed to do egotisical things like have the hero's character have the same initials as his own, and that I would do the same thing.

2) On one of the threads about "what would happen if Sinclair stayed," I pointed the initials thing out as a possible hint that Sinclair should have stayed on longer.

Basically, I'm guessing it's like when Stephen King and Alfred Hitchcock make cameo appearances in their own movies, and even JMS in the last B5 episode. Just a silly little fun way to put you fingerprints on it.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

JMS created Babylon 5, that required gargantuan effort of his behalf. He's entitled to a few indulgances, like putting his name on the back of the station.

------------------
"Watch the Shadows, they move when you're not looking..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> like putting his name on the back of the station.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I saw a note somewhere that JMS said the FX guys did that without telling him they were going to do it.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:

Basically, I'm guessing it's like when Stephen King and Alfred Hitchcock make cameo appearances in their own movies, and even JMS in the last B5 episode. Just a silly little fun way to put you fingerprints on it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or Francois Truffaut. I remember in French class, my teacher (an ex military police schizo) would take pains to point him out whenever we watched a french film (which was inevitably a Truffaut film).

regards

------------------
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again..."

A while back, I also mentioned in a different thread that the first initials of the major human male characters are J M S:

Jeffrey Sinclair or John Sheridan
Michael Garibaldi
Stephen Franklin

Coincidence?

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Yeah but who the blinking flip is C.S?

Catherine Sakai
Carolyn Sykes

This could be the B5 "Rosebud" here!
shocked.gif

Who or what do all the initials relate to? If J.S relates to jms, then who or what could C.S be? Given the fact that both Carolyn Sykes and Catherine Sakai were romantic interests for Sinclair, I am given towondering if C.S was a childhood sweetheart of jms'.

Then again maybe it was just his sled!
wink.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

In the B5 Universe, there's no such thing as coincidence.

Thanks, Mondo Londo, I missed that.

Scary.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

Incidentally, Truffaut had a cameo in Close Encounters, as did R2-D2 (albeit upside down... he was one of the UFO bits at the end!)

JMS in Rangers is also using another auteurs trick, he's using an actor he's familiar with in the lead role. (Though not as deliberately as Hitchcock).

Undoubtedly JMS IS an Auteur when it comes to B5! Produced, wrote, directed, even acted in it at some point... and that's not to mention all the other things he's done behind the scenes in consultation over appearance and music!

------------------

I'm just waiting for Alfred Bester's superior in Psi Corp to come up.

I'm guessing his name will be:

Timothy Nathan-Taylor!

Please work this one out, it shouldn't be too hard to spot
wink.gif

I am sure JMS will have great fun spacing him, squishing his head in a cargo door or some other REALLY nasty (and deservedly so), death worse than fate!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Galahad (edited October 25, 2001).]

The JS initials thing was something I noticed a long time ago. I just chalked it up to JMS realizing that people with those initials are truly great individuals.

Joe Straczynski
Jeffry Sinclair
John Sheridan

Sincerely,

John Sugden

------------------
The views expressed in this posting do not reflect in a mirror.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
All have initials of J.S.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He says they're cameos.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:
Given the fact that both Carolyn Sykes and Catherine Sakai were romantic interests for Sinclair, I am given towondering if C.S was a childhood sweetheart of jms'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He's said that the scene where Sinclair and Sakai sit down and talk about haw bad an idea it is for them to get together again was taken word for word from his past...

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:

Catherine Sakai
Carolyn Sykes

shocked.gif

Who or what do all the initials relate to? If J.S relates to jms, then who or what could C.S be? Given the fact that both Carolyn Sykes and Catherine Sakai were romantic interests for Sinclair, I am given towondering if C.S was a childhood sweetheart of jms'.

wink.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The initials C.S. may not mean anything themselves, but when the actress who played Sykes wasn't back for the series, Sinclair's new girlfriend may have been given the same initials, since she took over the Sykes role in the story (captain's girlfriend who flies around space a lot). The same may have been done with Sheridan.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

There's a third CS, athough she hardly features very much. Caroline SAnderson, Bester's pregnant blip girlfiend, who is taken by the Shadows, and altered so that she can be the central core in a Shadow vessel.

------------------

Now I think we're splitting hairs, here.

"Sheridan" and "Sinclair" are very upscale hero-type names... I doubt it would have been as impressive with "Captain Duffy..."

But now that you say it, hmm... makes me think...
smile.gif

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I doubt it would have been as impressive with "Captain Duffy..."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know a math instructor named "Bubba". That does throw the students a bit, wondering what to think of "Professor Bubba". He's a great instructor, though. Gets teased about his name a little, because that name is not common in this area of the country.
smile.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Catherine Sakai
Carolyn Sykes

shocked.gif

wink.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Isn't JMS married to Catherine Drennan?

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

JMS's wife spells her first name "Kathryn". I wonder if the K and D in Ko'Dath, G'Kar's first attache have any correlation to his wife's initals.
smile.gif

I also wonder how many C.C.'s he knew before Claudia came along.
tongue.gif

------------------
RW, the salad ambassador. Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

[This message has been edited by RW7427 (edited October 26, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back