• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Has anybody got the new trading cards

Haven't seen them or heard about them. Could you elaborate what they're like?

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to citizens of NY, DC, and to us all.

Holographic. The current one is David Martel, and the next one (this coming Friday) is Sarah Cantrell
wink.gif

You can find them on Scifi.com 's Rangers site.

Regards

------------------
Calculus and alcohol don't mix. NEVER drink and derive.

The were ok for a feebie, but I think they should have been more in the leauge of gorgeous or stunning if they're to be more than a minor curiosity. Also, they should have used some decent compression on the video clip.

One thing that could backfire, though, is the email a friend function. Since it doesn't provide any way to enter your own, it could be interpeted as spam.

------------------
"When a spark goes online, there's great joy --
When one's extinguished, the universe weeps." (audio)
-- Rhinox, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

Oooh! Trading cards! I'm in fifth grade again!

I'm afraid of what I'm seeing develop in this marketing campaign. The television ads are great, but the banners and trading cards (directed towards Internet already-B5-fans) seem... well, not dumbed down, but not exactly intelligent, either. IMHO.

Question - wasn't the Enfalli at one of the battles of the Shadow War? It was called by name by Ivanova in one of the late season three episodes. Was our gallant captain there during the battle?

I'm one of those cynical types when it comes to fandom...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
The were ok for a feebie, but I think they should have been more in the leauge of gorgeous or stunning if they're to be more than a minor curiosity. Also, they should have used some decent compression on the video clip.

One thing that could backfire, though, is the email a friend function. Since it doesn't provide any way to enter your own, it could be interpeted as spam.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with drakh about the cards ... interesting but I am not sure what to think of them yet. I will collect them being the insane B5 fan that I am however.
laugh.gif

Hey, at least we got a clip even if it was crappy quality.
wink.gif

I had a bit of trouble with the email function (trading) at first but I seemed to have worked it out since I got the following email:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:23:33 -0400
To: xxx@xxxxx.xxx
Subject: A friend wants you to have this digital trading card.

Someone you know has sent you a Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers Digital Trading Card.

To download your card, click below.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/tradingcards/

Watch Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers
An original SCI FI Movie.
Sat. Jan. 19th, 9PM/8C on SCI FI

"A new kind of evil demands a new kind of courage"

SCI FI www.scifi.com/b5rangers
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out the date it was sent!
shocked.gif
If I had gotten that email I would have definitely put it in the spam bin. If I did happen to open it up, I would have probably checked out the web site. However, it would annoy me to not know who sent me the email!
mad.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited November 26, 2001).]

Well, I gained some shocking knowledge from this card. The Minbari have been pussyfied (on loan from Gkarseye, will give it back to him once this post is done)
I mean how could you even dream of having a human beat a Minbari??
Granted, he was a very weak looking Minbari but that doesn't make it right.
Cards are cool, but..... pointless...
I don't wanna sound all negative, but I actually find them very very useless.

------------------
I am Yu Lau! I am nobody's bitch! You are mine!

I thought the trading card is a nifty use of Shockwave, and I especially liked the Minbari interface. I've decided to be the next Max Eilerson, and figure out the new Minbari script. I'm just seven letters away from a full translation key.
Nobody happens to know what the glyphs on "power", "trade", and "countdown" stand for, do they? They don't match anything I've found so far. Then there's the blinking letters to the left of the profile screen - the best I got was "_a_nmic_". No clue what (if anything) it means, though.

Deciphering a fictional alien language - a true sign (symptom?) of fanaticism.

------------------
What do you want? -Morden
A shrubbery! -Knight who says Ni!
And then what? -Morden
Another shrubbery!!! -Knight who says Ni!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I'm afraid of what I'm seeing develop in this marketing campaign. The television ads are great, but the banners and trading cards (directed towards Internet already-B5-fans) seem... well, not dumbed down, but not exactly intelligent, either. IMHO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They're going for the "scifi fanboy" crowd, the ones that are probably easiest to get excited and to start spreading the word. As you note, the TV ads cover a wider crowd, and for the more "intelligent"
laugh.gif
fans there is always this site.

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited November 26, 2001).]

Not necessarily. Minbari might have millions of characters for all we know. I mean just look at chinese. I don't think you could make a decription key for chinese. You'd need to know the language and understand it. I mean, even if a decryption key were possible, we'd just get a jumble of letters numbers and other symbols without any coherence whatsoever.
I applaud your effort, but I doubt that it's that easy.

------------------

Solaris, here's a URL for a Chinese English Dictionary site.
http://easyhosting.ipoline.com/dict-gb.html

People do translations using computers and language calculators all the time.

It does take a knowledge of the language for anything more than simple words or phrases, but it's not impossible.

For instance, it tells me that "dian shi ji" is a (more or less) phonetic rendering of "Television set" in Chinese.

There are about 2000 basic Chinese characters that anyone with a decent education (in China
wink.gif
) is expected to understand.
The advanced, special characters add a few hundred more.
The REAL problem comes when you start to Combine those basic characters to represent other, more abstract words and concepts. Starting from a base of 2000, the number of possible combinations of just two or three characters numbers in the hundreds of thousands.

It's actually a problem Asian scholars worry about.
With so many Other things to learn these days, most people just don't have Time to learn all the possibilities.
Character combinations are actually dissapearing from the Chinese language every year as people forget what they mean.
It mostly gets noticed by people who try to read books written years ago. They find character combinations that just aren't listed in common references.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Actually, Solaris, it is that easy. Minbari is after all, completely made up, and not a real language anyway. It's just little squiggles that stand for English letters. If you know what each squiggle stands for, it's possible to translate a sign on the Liandra from "squiggle-squiggle" to "TNT Sucks" (Which JMS mentioned is there somewhere)

------------------
What do you want? -Morden
A shrubbery! -Knight who says Ni!
And then what? -Morden
Another shrubbery!!! -Knight who says Ni!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solaris5:
Cards are cool, but..... pointless...
I don't wanna sound all negative, but I actually find them very very useless.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't feel you're being needlessly negative; I mean, they are useless. But... so what?

There's some valid concerns about the spam-mail style of sending them and the size of the file itself. But how do you make something useful? It's a newfangled version of the e-greeting card, nothing more. It's purpose is to be looked at and sent on.

Plus it's got the nifty countdown timer.
smile.gif

I agree with Drakh, personally - why should they advertise to those of us smart enough to know that B5 kicks butt? They need to appeal to the sci-fi fanboy who watched the original episode of Enterprise for the gel scene.
wink.gif
They have *US*, they need the people who are distracted by... shiny... thing...

Don't you just hate it when you're halfway through typing a sentence when you realise how icky it is? Oh, well. The point is... yeah, of course they're useless. They're nick-nacks, spam, and e-greetings. Their only purpose is to get the numbers raised up high enough to give us a new show.
smile.gif

------------------

‹ç - dog
Cool, but again, it's done with a database, which was compiled by someone with an understanding of both languages. Someone that already had the translations. I'm saying that if you don't know what something means and just know which english character it corresponds to, you cannot get a translation.

------------------

Well, you can only see it if you have chinese encoding turned on in your browser.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Has anybody got the new trading cards? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No... GO FISH
laugh.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."

Finally downloaded the first card... a cute little thing, but it really seems more of a treat for the already-fans than something to capture the potential new fan.

Of course, once the full set has been released, the added effect might pique the curiosity of some would-be fans as well.
smile.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Anybody able to find a difference between the Win98 and the WinXP pack? I have Win98SE, and both seem to run fine.

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back