• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Harry Potter 3, Prisoner of Azkaban

Sindatur

Regular
Searched several Combos, couldn't find it.

Watched it this weekend, and really enjoyed it.

There's been alot of people who complained about Dan Radcliffe's portrayal of Harry in the first two movies, about the "Deer in the Headlights". Personally, I thought that worked well for the first two movies, that's where Harry was (regardless wether it was Dan Radcliffe's good acting, or his inability to act). I've found myself wondering if Dan is capable of potraying the Harry of Book 5, if/when that movie comes around. I no longer have to wonder, Dan did a really good job in this movie. The character of Harry was more angry, and take charge in this film than he is shown to be in the book (PoA), but the fifth book was a bit jarring, how quickly he all of a sudden became so angry, so, for me, this was a much more realistic progression, even though it doesn't happen this quickly in the books.

The cartoon/comic book technicolor imagery from the first two movies is gone, which also rang true for me. Harry was in awe, and a fish out of water in the first two, for this one to have toned that down, is very appropriate, because it showed Harry isn't noticing every little magical thing, he's accustomed to it, it's all still there, but it's in the background, not spotlighted.

The Dementors are chilling, and the Hippogriff is also great.

There were a couple of things missing that I would have liked to see them add another 15 minutes to the movie, in order to have gotten them in
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Not enough Marauders background for the Non readers of the series:
1. Animagus was only mentioned twice I think, and no real explanation was given of what it was, you just kinda had to figure it out.
2. They didn't really go into why the Shrieking Shack was shrieking.
3. No mention of Snape being sent by Sirius to the Shack, and James preventing Snape from being killed by the Werewolf. I thought this was important to the story, as it gives Snape yet another reason to hate James, and therefore Harry (Life debt to James from saving him, and then he goes and gets himself killed before Snape can pay it back)

Had they added this little bit in the course of 15 minutes, the movie would still have only been 2hrs, 36 minutes.

Some changes were made, none of them really bothered me, once such was:
Hogwarts was a bit more battered, to show the years of abuse by underage wizards wild magic (Chris Columbus had it all shiny and new looking). Once again, I see this as a change in Harry, no longer in awe, so he notices the detail.

Hagrid's hut was bigger, but it seemed like Chris Columbus made it too small to begin with.

OK to have street clothes outside of Academia

I am an avid reader of the series, and thought it was the best of the movies so far. My better half is not a reader of the series, but watches all the movies with me, and also thought it was the best so far.

I have to agree 99% with you. Definately the best of the films so far. Too bad Cuaron isn't directing any more. However, he is the one that finally freed the franchise from strict adherence to the novels (which would've become almost impossible) and gave them the "permission" to do more of what Jackson did with LOTR, which is stay true the characters, true to the story that's most important to tell, and remain true to the spirit and heart of the books while not being a slave to their every word.

With this film, Cuaron also finally began to give you a sense of a much larger continuing story that's going on, instead of the one-off, film-by-film feeling of the first two. Rowling does have a larger arc going on in the novels, and PoA finally showed you that in the films.

I loved the new look and feel that was brought to this film, I only hope that Mike Newell stays with the new feel and look and doesn't go back in any way to the bright and happy look Columbus gave us.

I could tell they were moving away somewhat from the Columbus style "we're at school" thing to more of a "the school is only a backdrop" feel in order to foreshadow that the next books move more and more away from Hogwarts.

Sindatur:

As for your points, the animagus was explained in the scene where Snape took over the dark arts class. No the dialogue wasn't Scooby Doo'd and did pass quickly, but the explanation was there. Agree on the Shrieking Shack, though I'm not completely sure how important it was in the big picture.

I should explain, that while I am a reader of books, due to my film work I haven't had the time to read much in the last two years. I want to read the Potter books, but haven't had the chance to pick them up (my last series, which I still haven't finished yet was Card's Ender's Shadow novels). My roommate on the other hand has read all of the books and is my tool for comparison.

Ok, back to the film and the Shrieking Shack. Since I haven't read the novels, I don't know what importance the shack's explanation played in the overall big picture, or if it did at all and was just a neat little part of the story. I personally did not really miss an explanation of its name. I would point out here that Jackson cut the gift giving scene in FotR, which is important but was explained away for the audience's need to know in later moments and the next film. So the question is how important was it? Remember, Cuaron gave them license to step away from minor stories and tell the main one since film is such a different beast than novels.

As for the Snape, James/sending, saving, life-debt thing, as well as the image of the buck seen on the other bank that wasn't explained. I know that Cuaron worked with them on the concept of leaving certain elements for the next film and not feeling like you have to explain it all away. Leave some elements that might play better for films in the next installment, and leave some images and moments a mystery, thus clearly reminding folks that there is a much larger story going on here and giving the films more of a continuing feel and thread.

This is but one of the things Cuaron brought to the franchise and has been praised for by critics and TPTB (including Rowling).

It's the first time in the series of films that I felt a bit more like I did with LOTR, that I can't wait to see the next one to see the next stage of the story, not just another film.

Anyway, I would give it **** out of ***** stars. The best of the summer films so far. For some talk about what I was referring to with regards to Cuaron and what he brought, read the article in the Entertainment Weekly from last week. It's very informative and give you great insight into just what Cuaron has done for the Potter films.

Now on to Riddick and Stepford! :D

CE

In actuality, in the books, you really can't feel the depth of the story in the first two books, it's not until the third that it becomes so clear, so I don't think Columbus fell real short there. There were a few things he could've tossed in to look back on after seeing later films, but, to stay true to the books, you shouldn't feel the depth of the story, from only watching the first two films. The next one Goblet of Fire, is being directed by Mike Newell (4 Weddings and a Funeral), and is apparently being approached as a Psychological thriller/Horror (This will be great for the Graveyard Scene).

I am a bit concerned about GoF, as that book is twice as big as PoA, and I'm afraid too much may have to be cut out.

A couple characters introduced in the 3rd book, and playing important parts in the 4th and 5th book, are being introduced in the 4th movie, so that may well eat up some time available for the actual content of the 4th movie.

Yes there was a brief explanation of Animagus, but there is a deeper explanation, and what it was all about. Perhaps in the fourth movie you'll learn a bit more.

Spoiler

The biggest reason I was surprised that the animagus thing wasn't explained was how clearly and how often the names of the map's creators' was given. I expected a extra minute or two from Lupin at the end explaining the names, Patronus shape and perhaps the shack/whomping willow signifigance. Otherwise they did an excelent job of cutting to the chase without losing too much.

A big change already noted was the background. Seeing this one made me realize that all the sets in the first two felt like sets or theater backdrops. In PoA it felt like a real/tactile world.

Wonderful acronym that, PoA.

Jason Carter should have been in it. That is NOT my image of Professor Lupin.

Have you actually seen the movie yet? I was concerned when the Pics started surfacing, but, for me the performance worked very well, and I can totally see him as Lupin now. If you haven't seen it, watch with an open mind, and there's a very good chance Thewlis can capture your heart with his portrayal of Lupin.

As far as Jason Carter goes, I saw him as Sirius before Gary Oldman was announced, but Oldman did a great job with his character too.

Saw the film this afternoon.

The problem is that I imagined Jason as Lupin from the moment he appeared in the book. He would have made a good Sirius though.

I heartily enjoyed Azkaban, it was a more energetic and far superior to it's predecessors. I really wasn't impressed with the first two films, they managed to be rather limp and lifeless.

I adored the visuals. The Whomping Willow, the new look of Hogwarts, this movie is a visual feast.

That said, I did have a few problems.

1. I also found the movie to be lacking in some details I thought were important. Often I felt like I was filling in the blanks with my memory of the book.

2. I occassionally felt like a pervert. First, if one's sense of humour skews towards the gutter, there are a bunch of moments of inappropriate humour. I mean, the movie starts with Harry playing with his wand under the covers. Second, I was checking out Daniel Radcliffe, which is wrong.

3. No Oliver Wood eye candy. At least he's only three years my junior instead of nine. More inappropriate humour, Oliver is played by Sean Biggerstaff.

4. The ending shot was pure pungent cheese.

Still, an awesome movie. I want to check out Y tu mamá también now.

At least it's not Oliver Biggerwood.

SPOILER QUESTION:

Can anyone tell me why when Harry and Sirius are saved from the Dementors, the image we all saw, which Harry thought was his father, looked like a luminescant deer with big ass antlers? This is not what we saw the second time around.

In the book, you find out Harry POtter's father's Animagus, is a Stag (The name Prongs on the Marauders Map). It so happens that Harry Potter's Patronus is a representation of that, so Harry's Patronus is a Stag. A patronus that is completely mastered has distinct shape and form. A Patronus that is not completely mastered can be anything less than that, including just a puff of silvery translucent smoke.

Harry's Patronus should have been completely formed and Corporeal from both viewpoints, so the only explanation I can come up with, in the second viewpoint, perhaps our view was too close up and we just were not able to distinguish the form of it. That, or they blew it ;)

At least it's not Oliver Biggerwood.

SPOILER QUESTION:

Can anyone tell me why when Harry and Sirius are saved from the Dementors, the image we all saw, which Harry thought was his father, looked like a luminescant deer with big ass antlers? This is not what we saw the second time around.

Cuaron chose not to explain it in this film. From what I've been told, the explanation comes up again in the next book...so they will explain it then probably when it's more important to the story. So, someone can explain it, if you want to be spoiled that is...or you can wait until the next film where I'm sure you will be enlightened, and until then let it be a mystery (which is what IMO Cuaron wanted it to be for now).

CE

Cuaron chose not to explain it in this film. From what I've been told, the explanation comes up again in the next book...so they will explain it then probably when it's more important to the story. So, someone can explain it, if you want to be spoiled that is...or you can wait until the next film where I'm sure you will be enlightened, and until then let it be a mystery (which is what IMO Cuaron wanted it to be for now).

CE

I wouldn't count on that CE, Prisoner of Azkaban book is less than 400 pages (American Version), and they left some big chunks out of the movie, Goblet of Fire is almost 800 pages (Amer Version) and far more threads running through it.

Prisioner of Azkaban introduced 3 new characters, and didn't introduce at least 2 more they should have. In Goblet of Fire, you have those other two characters to introduce, plus you have about 5-10 other characters to introduce, so, including anything missing from PoA in GoF movie, is going to be a major challenge, without hacking the heck out of the book.

Like I said in my previous posts, I think PoA would've been fine if they used just a few more to about 15 more minutes, to go into deeper explanations of Harry's Parents Friend and such. GoF is going to be a major challenge to limit to only 2 1/2 hours.

CE

I wouldn't count on that CE, Prisoner of Azkaban book is less than 400 pages (American Version), and they left some big chunks out of the movie, Goblet of Fire is almost 800 pages (Amer Version) and far more threads running through it.

Prisioner of Azkaban introduced 3 new characters, and didn't introduce at least 2 more they should have. In Goblet of Fire, you have those other two characters to introduce, plus you have about 5-10 other characters to introduce, so, including anything missing from PoA in GoF movie, is going to be a major challenge, without hacking the heck out of the book.

Like I said in my previous posts, I think PoA would've been fine if they used just a few more to about 15 more minutes, to go into deeper explanations of Harry's Parents Friend and such. GoF is going to be a major challenge to limit to only 2 1/2 hours.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the run time of the film. However, I also have read that one thing Cuaron gave them (especially Kloves, the screenwriter) was the freedom to no longer feel a slave to the novels. I talked about this in my earlier post. The idea of staying true to the spirit of the books and characters without going verbatum from them.

After talking with my roommate, who's read the novels, I felt that since Cuaron made such a clear point of showing us the stag without explaining it, that there was some plan to give the explanation at a later point where it might fit into the film storyline better. Remember, film has a different language and sometimes things either play better in other places or don't play well at all.

Given that we are clearly shown the stag without any explanation of it, lends to the idea that it was a visual done on purpose as a point of mystery (remember, not everyone who sees the films has read the books -- the only reason I haven't is due to time constraints over the last couple of years).

The next film will be written and made with the new ideology that Cauron brought into the franchise...be true the main story of the book, the overall arc of the novels, the characters and spirit, but loose the rest.

The stag, etc., was explained to Harry by Dumbledore at the end of the novel...this conversation could easily be moved to a different moment in time (perhaps even a different setting -- one with more tension even) and done in a few lines in the next film...since the stag image recurrs in the next story. To do this would not be that difficult.

All I'm saying is that Cuaron made a point of showing the stag clearly...if no explanation is ever going to be given, then he wouldn't have made such a big deal of showing it.

I'm pretty sure the dialogue that explains it all will be given in the next film with a few lines. You also have to remember that the next script was being written and finished while Cuaron was making PoA..and he had several conversations with Kloves about the GoF script while it was in flux and PoA was still being filmed...easy to move and change things that way. "Hey, let's put the explanation for this in GoF...I think it would play better there and as a bit of a visual mystery for PoA."

Film is a different language...and this one is the film that gives you the first real since of a larger story arc...the stag image was one of many good ways of leaving points of story unexplained and leaving the audience hanging.

It all makes sense to me...and isn't that hard to do.

Jackson moved lines and scenes and gave lines to different characters all over LOTR.

CE

Second, I was checking out Daniel Radcliffe, which is wrong.

Hey, we got that danger on the other side of the line, too. Whoever it is who plays Hermione is growing up fast. Dangerously so.

Still, an awesome movie. I want to check out Y tu mamá también now.

Do so. It's worth it.

About the cutting out the Dursleys, good. Just not that important for the next book.

Agreed, it would be fun to see the fireplace and Toungue Ton Toffee scenes, but cuts need to be made, and those are very reasonable. The World Quidditch Cup will allow several of the new characters to be introduced (Plus Cho and Cedric haven't been introduced yet either), and they may even be able to re-arrange the stoy a bit to introduce some others. I'd like to see something of the Dream sequence though, and the end of the Quidditch cup is very important to set the tone of the movie. Alot of people really want the Ball too, but I'm OK with it being cut as well, if they choose to.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Speaking of Double Entendres, I didn't get the one in the opening scene. I had heard about it before seeing the movie, so I looked for it, but I didn't see anything suggestive. I was expecting some kind of "specific sound" or the sheet moving in some kind of way, but, it looked perfectly innocent, and I couldn't read anything into it. Just Harry reading under the sheet, turning the light on when Vernon left the room, and off when Vernon entered the room. What did I miss that made the scene suggestive? Did my theatre edit it or something?

E
N
D

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Latest posts

Members online