• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

G'Kar a semi-regular?

Re: G\'Kar a semi-regular?

Well I'll take anything I can get as regards to a reoccuring character if rangers goes into a series of course .

------------------

Since I was never a Lochley fan, seeing her on Crusade was boring for me. Now, if they could've done the Bester episode, things would have picked up considerably! I really hope that they can use a lot of the B5 cast in guest-appearances if Rangers becomes a series. I miss those characters. Also, I've met most of the B5 actors & would love to see them together on TV again!

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

JMS seems to be saying it is simply to be expected that some of the B5 cast will visit Rangers. Maybe only one here and one there, or as Joe D suggested perhaps in a mini-arc of episodes.

I just hope the series can get a chance! I have always felt that science fiction never made it for long on network tv because their ratings expectations are simply too high for our purposes. Much to my disappointment, most people just don't give sci-fi a chance.

But at least Rangers as a series won't be cancelled before it airs, as Crusade was by TNT, Total Network Trash.

------------------
(Spirit): “If it is too hard a lesson for you to learn, then learn this lesson:”
[Shows emaciated children at his feet.] (Ebenezer): “Are these yours?” (Spirit): “They are Man’s. They cling to me for protection from their fetters. This boy is ignorance, this girl is want. Beware them both, but most of all, beware this boy.” (Ebenezer): “Have they no refuge, no resource?” (Spirit): “Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?”

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

re: my last post. I hope no one got the idea that I'm not excited about the new cast! I'm very excited about the Rangers movie because I always liked the idea of the Rangers. I like what I've seen of the new cast so far, & it's great that the actors have come here to interact with us. So while I do miss the B5 actors, I am really looking forward to the possibility of a new series in the B5 universe, with new characters.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I miss G'Kar and Londo the most. I hope that if Rangers gets picked up as a series that there are at least two characters with as much depth, intensity, emotional variety, growth & development, conversational sytle, and character interaction as those two.

And if G'Kar himself ends up being one of those characters on Ranger, so much the better.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

As much as everyone would like to see recurring characters, I'd like to bring up Warf, from Star Trek. In TNG, he was, IMO, the most interesting character on the show. On DS9, however, he really didn't do much more than fight and date a hot chick. The character lost its "umph."

The B5 characters should not take away the spotlight from the Rangers characters. They'll be there, it'll be cool, but they won't be more, story wise, then incidental characters.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I'm pretty sure that's the intention, GKarsEye. G'Kar is probably in Rangers to give it a transition feel from the old to the new - the real center of the story is definitely the new cast.

I think, if we see Sheridan/Delenn and any of the others, it'll be a lot like we did in Crusade - Franklin was an accessory to the story on the Excalibur, not the main focus of it.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

And then there's one thing -

B5 surrounded the people at the nexus of the Shadow War, the center of a large movement. I think the comparable people today would be Arafat, Sharon, Bush, Bin Laden, etc., to give a VERY loose example. The Rangers we follow are, comparably, the guys serving aboard the USS Arizona.

Sorry if I bring up an already-made point, but won't it be unrealistic to have Martel & Co in any scene with the President of the Interstellar Alliance?

See, with the Excalibur it was believeable, because that was a damned important ship.

Umph, I guess I'm just going to see on January 19th. I'm letting my speculation run away with me.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Sorry if I bring up an already-made point, but won't it be unrealistic to have Martel & Co in any scene with the President of the Interstellar Alliance?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless they stumble upon something enormously important and thus gain an audience with the Grand President Himself, or have to visit Minbar to get word to him or Delenn.

Or Sheridan decides to check out how the Rangers are getting on and chooses - completely by accident - the crew of the Liandra for his visit.

Certainly it's not something that would happen every day but if done right, I don't think it would be too unrealistic.

I have to admit that the only original character I just cannot imagine making a guest appearance is Londo, especially because of the Centauri trilogy. Unless it's a flashback or something.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Point taken, Kribu -

After all, we do see Rangers kicking their way into an Earthforce General's office (think of the security in that kind of place!). I have a feeling that they can basically get anywhere, if they really wanted to.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
The Rangers we follow are, comparably, the guys serving aboard the USS Arizona.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The same can be said about the people on B5 during the pilot and the first two seasons... The only ones with any notable influence were Delenn and Kosh, and we didn't know that from the start.

------------------
"I know how you're feeling... You don't know whether to kiss me or kill me."
"I'm a black widow spider you idiot - I can do both." (hear it)
-- Silverbolt & Blackarachnia, "The Agenda, part 2", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

N_S:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And if G'Kar himself ends up being one of those characters on Ranger, so much the better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But G'Kar's days of "depth, intensity, emotional variety, growth & development" are largely over by the time of Rangers. He has finished becoming the person he was meant to be, and now is merely living his life. It is the regulars of a Rangers series who would be undergoing such changes, not the "old guard" guest stars, who have already been through their own personal fires.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The same can be said about the people on B5 during the pilot and the first two seasons... The only ones with any notable influence were Delenn and Kosh, and we didn't know that from the start.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it was precisely because the story was about the station and the people on it that Sheridan was not regularly meeting with the President and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Since Rangers will be about the crew and their missions, we shouldn't expect to see them meet (or even talk to) President Sheridan any more often than we saw Sheridan or Sinclair speak to their superiors. (Less so, actually, since B5 was a high-profile assignment and its commander the military governor, de facto Earth Alliance ambassador and a political appointee. David Martel is none of these things, and he leads a team of covert intelligence gathers and operatives.)

What is much more likely is that we'll get a scene where President Sheridan and Entil'Zha Delenn approve a dangerous covert mission which is then assigned to Martel & company - without any direct contact at all.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> After all, we do see Rangers kicking their way into an Earthforce General's office (think of the security in that kind of place!). I have a feeling that they can basically get anywhere, if they really wanted to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wasn't a security breech.
Ivanova Said that she'd given Orders that Any Ranger was to be admitted Immediately.
A couple Idiots assigned to her staff had evidently been trying to make him cool his heels in the outer office while they "impressed" him with General Ivanova's Importance.

It happens.

My bet, if JMS were to ever explain these idiots, is that they were the pampered pet children of "influential" parents.
Snobs, IOW, trying to enhance their Own importance by insisting on Ivanova's.

It's the only explanation for why Ivanova didn't reduce them to grease spots instantly.

Or transfer them to a nice assignment guarding the ice mines on Pluto.
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Joe, I don't entirely agree with you about G'Kar's growth and development being finished. True, he has come a long way, and we are unlikely to see such major changes in him in the future, but I believe that the path he is on continues, and he would continue to develop and evolve spiritually in the future. Of course, where that could lead, only JMS could tell!

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
What is much more likely is that we'll get a scene where President Sheridan and Entil'Zha Delenn approve a dangerous covert mission which is then assigned to Martel & company - without any direct contact at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I sincerely doubt that jms would spend large amounts of money dragging Boxleitner or Furlan to Canada just for a cameo role. When they do appear, they'll be pretty important to the story at hand.

Garibaldi stumbled across the assasination evidence, giving Sheridan the opertunity to talk directly with President Clark. In the same episode, the guest star is also General Hauge - one of Earth Force's chiefs of staff.

I suspect the crew of the Liandra will have an increasing importance in the ISA, and have a greater and greater reason for interacting with bigwigs. I mean, they're already figting the super dangerous "ancient evil", and I'd expect the resolution to come on screen, executed by our characters, rather than a few lines of dialogue about how the enemy went home after Sheridan nuked their main base.

------------------
"I know how you're feeling... You don't know whether to kiss me or kill me."
"I'm a black widow spider you idiot - I can do both." (hear it)
-- Silverbolt & Blackarachnia, "The Agenda, part 2", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

What I'm wondering is: does this mean that G'Kar will become the Rangers' "Charlie"?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Delbert:
What I'm wondering is: does this mean that G'Kar will become the Rangers' "Charlie"?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean handing out assignments, sending them off on missions, providing them with important & background information etc?

Interesting idea. Although somehow I doubt that... still, quite interesting.
smile.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Well... G'Kar's days of self-realization and growth aren't over. If there were, he'd be dead. We grow all our lives.

But, story-wise, yes - he's done with. His journey was in Babylon 5.

This is primarily Martel's journey, and Cantrell's, and Dulann's, and Sasaki's. G'Kar might learn, and grow, but it's going to be in a different capacity for him than for the main characters on the Liandra.

We'll see where it goes.

Hopefully.

*crosses her fingers*

I'd hate to fall in love with these characters and get them snatched away, like I did with Crusade.

------------------

Well... G'Kar's days of self-realization and growth aren't over. If there were, he'd be dead. We grow all our lives.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but the fast growth times are the most interesting times, and that's the kind of stuff that's usually the basis for what's shown on TV.

For G'Kar, I think the slope of his growth curve is still positive, but it's a smaller number than it was after Dust to Dust.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I'd love to see any of the B5 cast in the Rangers series, especially Sheridan, Delenn, and Ivanova. I also think it would be cool to see Galen, Dureena, and Gideon from Crusade make some appearances too.
cool.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back