• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

GHOSTS!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Why ghosts? Why, why, why?!
Why did there have to be ghosts? That was what I really hated about this show!
What in the name of Booji was the reason for having ghosts in the show?!
Did anyone else find this really confusing?

I think having 'ghosts' is a really cool element. B5 has always favoured unexplained themes within the Universe.
Besides, they may not be actual 'ghosts' in the classic sense, but that the ship is re-playing recordings from the past for reasons unknown.

------------------
'I plan to live forever, or die trying' - Villa Blake's 7

I'll second that Orac. With jms things are never as they seem.

laugh.gif

Phil

------------------
"And that, Mollari, is why it will not be your people, or mine, or the Gaim, or the Drazi or the Vorlons or the Shadows who in the end will stand astride the galaxy like giants. It will be the humans."
"I think you are the one who is mad, G'kar," Londo said. "I can choose just as well as the humans. I can choose to stay in this cell, with you, or I can choose to leave."
"Yes, but can you choose for there not to be a cell at all?"
"I don't understand," Londo said.
"Exactly," G'kar said. "Exactly."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breen:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect that in an earlier draft of the plot they may well have played a larger role 9so to speak) but were cut from the final print - they did seem rather like an "after-thought" - I didn't mind too much that there wre "ghosts", but was aa bit annoyed that they didn't follow up on that element in the story (lack of time I guess). Well it leaves something to be explained further if the series goes ahead.

------------------
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breen:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! Other than a temporary plot element, I have to wonder how ghosts can occur on a ship without outside intervention - ala: a Soul Stealer. Also, I agree that there was much lacking in the way the ghosts were handled in the end. Seemed tepid, and hasty.
crazy.gif

------------------

They were there to add to the mystique of the Liandra for the series (this is a pilot, after all) and for the plot point of the warning about the traitor. And I'm glad that they weren't more prominently featured and hope that they're used very sparingly in the show. (Like maybe once more when they get exorcised for good.
smile.gif
) They made for a nice bit of atmosphere, and one more reason that the Liandra assignment is at least partially a punishment for David.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orac:

Besides, they may not be actual 'ghosts' in the classic sense, but that the ship is re-playing recordings from the past for reasons unknown.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> When Dulann saw the ghosts, they were trying to communicate with him. I don't think that could be a "replaying" of a past event, but something that was happening in that time. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Perhaps the Liandra is akin to the equipment the technomages use, if you have read the trilogy I am refering to the last book concerning Galen and his 'connection'.
wink.gif
The Minbari ships are pretty advanced, we know they have AI, hell, even EA has AI. More in terms of the Vorlons however. And like Ivanova in that short story, Dulann feels it is 'alive' but if he is a stronger teep he has a better communication with it. Or the other way around, the ship is more 'alive' than the warlock. *shrugs* Just a few ideas.
smile.gif
</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

[This message has been edited by Dark Lord (edited January 20, 2002).]

about Dulann spoiler and council

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Did anyone else get the impression that Dulann was telepathic? Or maybe clairvoyant? The Grey Council dude did make a comment about him "seeing David's soul" after all... </font></td></tr></table>

[Deviot-edited to add spoiler box]
------------------
We are Gray. We stand between the
darkness and the light. I am Gray. I
stand between the candle and the star.
Is'hilzha venii... in Valen's name
Faith manages...

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited January 20, 2002).]

You should probably spoiler box that.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Yes, I believed it was briefly stated by David or someone that he is slightly telepathic. I suppose he'd be like a P5 or lower in the human scale. Just guessing though. But yes I do believe it was stated that he is slightly telepathic. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

From the lands yet to see the film I come, Britain to be precise.

I'm just hedging a bet here, but I reckon your ghosts could well be the crew of the Liandra past, who are not dead, but infact trapped in the dimension the hand are coming from. It might be the real reason the Ranger Rustbucket was sent out a second time in such a poor state. It has a unique connection with what the high ranking Rangers suspected the current mission might encounter.

To quote Grig in "The Last Starfighter"

"Death is a primitive concept.... I prefer to think of it as battling evil... in another dimension!"

So there may yet be a twist.

Though this is pure speculation!

------------------
Back when I was a kid in Sunday School, Father Minkowski once said: "Given the crucifixion was a terrible thing for anyone to endure, if you could go back in time 2200 years, would you prevent the crucifixion of Christ?" Well after a heated debate, we all agreed the answer was no. The crucifixion was necessary to redeem the world. - Lt. John Matheson "The Needs of Earth"

"We live for the One. We die for the One!"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back