• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Gerry Doyle Interview

I also remember reading plans for Bester and Garibaldi to be on Crusade.

Bester is featured in the unfilmed episode 'Value Judgements' and Garibaldi is lurking in the background of that episode, too

IIRC, wasn't Bruce basically hacked off about the fact that B5 finished "before its time", i.e. much the same sentiment that Jerry Doyle expressed in this interview, and discovering that Sheridan was not going to be a central character in the spin-off series, contrary to his initial understanding.

Also IIRC, didn't JMS originally state that there was a sub-story involving The Rangers that could become a spin-off.

I can see that having become ISA President and then Entil'Zha (probably spelt wrong) JS would be a logical lead character for a series like that. When the spin-off then became Crusade, focussing on the Excalibur rather than The Rangers, the character of Sheridan was not going to play as big a role, if any.

As to the involvement of JMS in any new B5 stuff, for me that would have to be an essential. Without him, the whole universe becomes nothing more than a franchise - how could you expect someone else to come in with the fire and passion for the story (someone else's story) that JMS has.

As an aside, a while ago I started reading some of Tolkein's lost tales - some of which were uncompleted at his death and finished off by his son Christopher. Now he tried his best and did a pretty good job, but you can definitely see the join.

Because he (logically) didn't have the depth of knowledge and experience of that universe and those characters that his father did.

I wouldn't want B5 to go the same way as that. You could get the most talented writers in the world in to do it, but they will never have the intimate knowledge of the B5 universe and how it works that JMS does, and I the depth of story-telling would inevitably suffer.

Not saying I wouldn't still watch it though!!

:LOL:

As to the involvement of JMS in any new B5 stuff, for me that would have to be an essential. Without him, the whole universe becomes nothing more than a franchise - how could you expect someone else to come in with the fire and passion for the story (someone else's story) that JMS has.

Agreed. While the acting on B5 (at least the main characters) was outstanding, it was truly the writing- the story itself that made B5 so great.

IIRC, wasn't Bruce basically hacked off about the fact that B5 finished "before its time", i.e. much the same sentiment that Jerry Doyle expressed in this interview, and discovering that Sheridan was not going to be a central character in the spin-off series, contrary to his initial understanding.
He wasn't "hacked off" about it finishing "before its time." He did express that he felt the show could run for a few more seasons though. He did know it was a 5 year run show, but expressed to JMS that he could or should keep it going for a season or two.

JMS's reply. Not what we want to hear.

A couple of points on this.

There have been no discussions concerning a return of the Babylon 5 series
between myself and WB or any other studio or network. Nor do I think anything
is likely in that area.

Jerry took umbrage when, a few years ago, I commented on his statements that he
would be able to put togeether a new B5 series deal. From the interview, he
still seems to be in high dudgeon over this. But the fact remains: I was
correct in my statement, he didn't have the pieces in place to make it happen.
If he'd had the wherewithal to make it happen, it would've; it didn't, so he
didn't. My statement was correct.

Once again, the pieces simply aren't there. He has lined up a radio guy who
feels the show should return. Which is great, it's a terrific compliment. But
that is not in any way, manner, shape or form anywhere near anything of a
serious nature in terms of getting a show on the air.

I've always been happy to listen to anyone -- Jerry, his pals, anybody -- who
would come to me with a serious proposal and have the moxie, the money, and the
resources to make it happen. It hasn't. That's the simple fact of it.

Jerry's a terrific operator, he always has an angle going, he's always working
it...but that ain't the same thing as always having the real deal in hand. If
WB were involved in this -- and they'd have to be -- both Doug and I would be
in the loop by contract. But that is not the case. I spoke with Doug five
minutes ago as I type this, and he confirmed: there is nothing happening on
this front other than Jerry talkling with the radio guy.

As for his notion that the characters in Crusade were just B5 characters with
the names changed...as the person who created those characters, nothing could
be further from the truth. Nor was Bruce ever set to be the star of Crusade.

There's a natural tendency for people to hear or think what they expect, what
they want to hear. I told all the B5 cast members as a group that there would
certainly be opportunities for guest appearances throughout Crusade, but at no
point did I promise Bruce that he would be the lead of the series, or that we'd
simply transplant the characters. It wouldn't be a new series if we did that.

Finally, in his interview, both Jerry and Bruce seem to blame me for B5 not
being in its 10th year right now. Which is true and not true. B5 was always
meant to be a 5 year story; every actor knew that going in. It wasn't like
this was a surprise at the last minute. We all knew the deal.

WB had told us to shut down after year 4 because even though the show was doing
well, our network, PTEN, was going out of business. At the last minute, TNT
took on the task of financing a fifth year *in order to get the end of the
five-year story*. They never talked about anything beyond that, nor did anyone
else. So anything else is a moot point. I don't think that TNT would ever
have committed to anything more than one season in any event. They wanted the
end of the story to make the package complete. If that had been a six-year
arc, they would not have picked it up because two years would've been too
costly.

So them's is the facts.

Yes, there's one or two things percolating n the B5 universe that may be of
interest, but neither of them are series deals.

I hate to throw water on this, but I don't want fans to get all excited about
something that's simply not happening anywhere except in Jerry's interview.

He probably won't like that I said this any more than he did the last time, but
then as now, I have to put out the facts and let the passage of time validate
them.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2003 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)

It may not have been what people wanted to hear, but I think it is what people needed to hear. It helps keep hope in check with a dose of pragmatism.

But what I'd like to know is, where did you hear that Boxleitner had an "initial understanding" that he would have a central role in the spinoff series? That's something that I've heard from the rumor mill since 2001, but have never been able to figure out where it came from. I have some suspicions that it's an invention of the AICN/IGN echo chamber, and would like to know if the story has ever been confirmed by a different source.

I wonder why Mr. Doyle is obsessing so much over this. It was a great 5 season run. It's just awful there couldn't have been more of it.

Oh well. Such is life. One moves on now. :rolleyes:

And maybe I just don't know the nature of the business, but it almost sounds as if he's been trying to take B5 away from JMS. I'm not saying JMS would have to write or even be part of a new B5-universe production. But I'd hope he'd have to be in the loop somewhere, as JMS said.

I think I'm beginning to see why he's enjoying writing graphic novels and such now. Fewer costs, fewer hassles, and fewer people to deal with.

It does not sound like he's "obsessing" much over anything. Just thinking loudly and wishfully -- in a manner which differs from the ways of JMS (who appears to prefer a far more quiet and secretive approach, generating less rumour but often conducting business more easily).

I wonder why Mr. Doyle is obsessing so much over this. It was a great 5 season run. It's just awful there couldn't have been more of it.

Money :rolleyes: For 5 years he had a well paid, reasonably secure job. Then it ended. I don't think he's worked much since, so it's likely that he looks back on those balmy days with fondness and regret, and will do whatever he can to get those happy times back.

It's a little sad, but those are the risks inherent in an actor's life, I guess :(

Jerry Doyle is a pretty sharp businessman and salesman. As such he knows perception is more important than reality when it comes to pushing a product -- in this case B5. He knows there is increased interest generated by DVD releases and Scifi's continued airing of B5. Thus, IMO, sees an opportunity to push for a continuation of the series, or at least a spin-off, so is trying to increase backer interest, the interview being part of his strategy, to make it happen.

And, from the way I read JMS's post, it seems JMS wouldn't be adverse to a B5 continuation but wants to see the firm commitment (with funding) before jumping aboard. In fact, it seems to me JMS is hoping Jerry Doyle can put an acceptable package together. Whether Doyle can, or can't, remains to be seen. I hope he is but I will not hold my breath.

I had not thought about it from that angle, Gangster. Yes, that actually makes sense. If someone out there with the bucks did sense a huge interest, maybe it could spur on a project.

Personally, I'd be delighted just to see a tv-movie or miniseries. (I'd rather have Crusade, but that is not going to happen.)

The question now becomes...
With all the apparent grudges being held over the years between jms and the actors (Claudia, Bruce, Jerry), will they be able to put all this behind them for any future B5 project? :confused:

No big surprise here Jerry Doyle is just blowing some hot air .It all was just talk an nothing more . :( As for the two potential projects I won't hold my breathe on this either.

I suspect that Bruce was confused by "A Call To Arms". It was known that ACTA was the (near) pilot for Crusade and that Sheridan was the lead character. Bruce therefore assumed that Sheridan would be the lead character in Crusade. Unfortunately Sheridan had the same role as Charlie in Charlie’s Angels.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back