• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Galen Bio Help!

Adam

Beyond the rim
Hey im still working on my site. Im updating the charater page and the last person is Galen. I have the info about galen from the series and little parts of Book 2. So if anybody remembers all the information about galen in the 1st book tell me. Please dont tell me book 2 beacause i wont add it untill book 3 comes out and im only 1/4 done of the book.

------------------
If you have an B5, crusade, or Rangers site and you want to join a webring join the Intersellar Alliace:
The Intersellar Alliance Webring
Home of the index of Alien races of Crusade: http://babylon5crusade.cjb.net

Parents were both technomages who died when Galen was young. Either late single digits or early doubles. I don't have time to look it up right now but will later.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

Well... Elric is his teacher, master or something like that.
He has loved truely only one woman, Isabelle.
He's quite silent person and he knows really powerful destruction spell, no one else technomage knows spell like that.

------------------
We live for the One, we die for the One

Galen's "spell language" is in the form of mathematical equations; he pictures them in his mind like they were written on a chalkboard.

He feels he is not as skilled with his hands as some of the other young mages.

He has little skill at creating energy shields, at least in the first book anyway.

He has difficulty dealing with his emotions because they are so intense that they seem to scare him, especially his anger and fear. Because of this, he tries to close himself off from feelings.

But others he respects, including Isabelle, tell him that he must stop "hiding from himself" if he wishes to become all that he was meant to be.

This shutting off of his emotions is an Achilles' heel to him, as it sometimes makes him blind to what others can plainly see, like the motives of other people. It makes it easier for him to deceive himself into what he wants to believe, which can prove costly.

He notices the beauty in the natural world around him, and he appreciates the honest simplicity of other races not as cerebral as the mages.

He has always wanted to be a mage.

I believe his parents were good friends of Elric, and that was how Galen ended up staying with him after they died. (They were burned, I think in an explosion.) A couple years later (I think) Galen formally became Elric's apprentice.

The books are really well-written and worth the read.

'Hope this helps.

------------------
Create the peace.

[This message has been edited by StarSong (edited August 21, 2001).]

(Oops - clicked the wrong link!)

------------------
Create the peace.

[This message has been edited by StarSong (edited August 21, 2001).]

He wanted to be a healer, (hence, his chosen name, Galen) but found that he had no talent for healing magic, which is the most complex.

He was 11 when his parents died.

He grew up on the planet Soom.

He doesn't particularly care for immitation breen made of meal worms and assorted chemicals, nor is he very good at making said fake breen.
tongue.gif

"Stop pretending you're busy and come over here and taste this." -- Isabelle

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

http://www.kellishaver.com/webring - technomage webring

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Also he is bald. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

quite deliciously so too!

alex

------------------
"I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."--Max eilerson

Galen isn't Bald.

There is a ritual Technomages perform which removes all their body hair. It seems to most resemble taking a shower in flaming liquid, except that the flame is created by their Tech.

It is a very painful way of shaving.

They do it deliberately as a way of controlling the Shadow Tech when it stimulates their agressive impulses.

The Negative side of being a Technomage. The tech is designed to encourage them to go Berserk when they are angry.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

It was a joke. It was supposed to be cute and funny and silly.

Damn, a guy can't say anything here without the JMS patrol on your ass.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I'm with Alex on that one.
tongue.gif

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

http://www.kellishaver.com/webring - technomage webring

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> There is a ritual Technomages perform which removes all their body hair. It seems to most resemble taking a shower in flaming liquid, except that the flame is created by their Tech.

It is a very painful way of shaving.

They do it deliberately as a way of controlling the Shadow Tech when it stimulates their agressive impulses.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So does Isabelle wear a wig? And why does Alwyn still have hair? Albeit only round the edges
smile.gif

------------------
Demon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demon:
So does Isabelle wear a wig? And why does Alwyn still have hair? Albeit only round the edges
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I'm new here! waves to all her friends from the Slipstream

According to the book, Isabelle was wearing a wig in the bits we saw in Well of Forever.

Apparently the hair/no hair thing is a matter of personal preference, with new technomages often following the their mentor's lead. Alwyn is notorious for thumbing his nose at technomage traditions, too. He was one of the few (maybe the only?) technomages that didn't leave in the exodus before the Shadow War.

[This message has been edited by Rhea (edited August 24, 2001).]

The technomages still have hair - the human ones do, anyway.

Like somebody stated above, they singe it off with fire as a personal discipline.

When they're in public, they conjure an illusion of hair, and/or clothing, or change their whole appearance if it suits their purpose or their fancy.

In the Crusade ep mentioned, Isabelle was indeed actually wearing a wig, since they were trying to avoid being detected as mages and so were creating minimal illusions.

BUT

I must say that putting the source of the "tech" on this board, when the person who started the whole topic hasn't read the second book yet - and that without a spoiler -

Well, it's hard to keep all these posts straight, so I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally. Hopefully no harm done. I'm sure I'll be guilty too sooner or later.

"Gale, Gale, Gale!"

------------------
Create the peace.

actually, she's conjuring an illusion of hair in the scene we see in The Path of Sorrows. they had been wearing wigs before that, but by the time of the scene they had already gotten rid of them.

------------------
-dief, the scholar
Hail Booji!

[This message has been edited by dief (edited August 24, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dief:
actually, she's conjuring an illusion of hair in the scene we see in The Path of Sorrows. they had been wearing wigs before that, but by the time of the scene they had already gotten rid of them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup this is true because i remember Galen was frustrated with Isabelle because she was using her eneargy to keep up her appearance of health and hair, when he thought she shoulda been resting or trying to heal herself even though it would be useless she was going to die no matter what.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back