• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Future of the Alliance

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> If the humans had become like the Vorlons, which race would be the Shadows? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably the Drazi - any time one of them is on the screen, they are hassling someone or causing some kind of trouble.

------------------

Would Earth learn it's leason after the Great Burn? (probably not!)

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

I have seen Deconstruction of Falling Stars, and although it's not one of my favorites, I still enjoy watching it.

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
If we ever go to space for good - it won't be as an Earth Alliance, or as a Federation. It will be the Americans and the Chinese and the Russians and the Venezuelans and...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about that, Channe. Look at some of the aspects of the Earth Alliance; for the most part, it's the "major powers" of Earth. That means that it's not REALLY an earth alliance; it's just an organization pooling its resources for a common goal. That's VERY likely; we're already taking steps in that direction. But just because something is done by a group "working together" doesn't mean that everyone in the group is out for the common good. And just because there's a "United Nations" doesn't mean that we've got a global government or any kind of lasting peace.

The Earth Alliance is already here, and it means just as little in the B5 Universe as it does in ours.

------------------
"Now, get the hell out of our galaxy, ya dad-gum kids! You keep tracking dirt on my planet. And if I see your dog again..."

The international effort on Space Station Alpha looks a bit like the beginnings of an Earth Alliance to me. But as to the commercial use of space, at least four nations are launching for hire right now, so I think it will be a mix, as it is in B5, and Enterprise.

But to answer Elizar's question, in the context of the show, we only know that the Rangers survive for certain. Perhaps the Alliance survives past the reconstruction following The Great Burn, but we can't know for sure. I would think that if it did survive until the time when humans became firstones, it would be rather different than when it began.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

The only thing we can be Certain of is that, in a Million Years, Everything, even the Rangers will have changed.
Otherwise, what's the point of evolving?
While the Ranger's badge is still being worn, it's a certainty that the Purpose of the organization would be Very Different once Humans rise to First One status.

By that time, Rangers would probably be a legend to the younger races on a par with the Vorlon/Angel legend for present day humans.
Something they tell their children about, but which few, if any, can ever claim to have Seen.
An invisible, possibly divine, force that, once in a very rare while, does something miraculous to help someone.

Who WAS that Masked Man?

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Regarding comments about the Alliance surviving past 'The Great Burn'. Frankly I am suprised this didn't occur to me before. But here is my take on things, and it fits with what happened:

Keep in mind the Great Burn was limited ONLY to Earth, and those living there. The rest of the galaxy went on with life and left Earth alone. The alliance is located on Minbar, and would be unaffected by that. The Alliance, and Rangers, from the looks of things, did decide to help Earth rebuild, but did so slowly, gradually, and in more of a natural way of rebuilding. So outside Earth, things continued on as normal. As for records and things about all that happened before. Yes people on Earth were trying to find all they could to restore information, but this was part of the natural rebuilding process. They never said that all information stored OUTSIDE earth was lost...it wouldnt have been. That information was only lost to those on Earth. For those of you who read the short story by JMS 'Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic' it describes a HUGE ISA database and storage planet (300 years after B5 era) that houses all the records of events, in addition actual PERSONALITY images of key people:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Like Ivannova, which is what brings Marcus there for those of you who have read it. </font></td></tr></table>

That being known, it kind of stands to reason that all events were not lost, or forgotten. They were only lost to those people on Earth, and the Rangers are slowly helping Earth rebuild, and remember, but doing so in a slow natural way so as they learn from the mistakes of those who were there before. Which seems to be a big theme in B5.

Someone elses point about humans being like the Vorlons in 1,000,000 years I dont think is correct either. I think we are neither like the Vorlons OR the Shadows, because we learned from their mistakes. We will make new ones of our own
smile.gif

For those of you who want to know about that Short Story, I believe there is a link to it, on the 'Intergalatic Gateway' which is a site run by Pat Tallman. I wish I had the link handy, but it is on my other PC at home. If anyone has it, paste it here. That story is listed in with the episodes I believe...

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

'Deconstruction of Falling Stars' is a brilliant episode in that people have very different views on what it means, especially the Human Encounter suit. This has been disscussed elsewhere so I won't go into an in depth disscussion here. But it seems to show to me that we have become just like the Vorlons, aloof and manipulative (that is not to say we have the same ideology as the Vorlons, just the same methodology). It has all come full circle and the struggle will begin again.

------------------
"Watch the Shadows, they move when you're not looking..."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back