• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Flash ahaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...

Darkheart

Just watched the flash gordon dvd (love that theme song) :D. Although its still a great watch I think they should remake it, looking a bit aged and daggy in places. My flatemate disagrees and said its stood the test of time. What do you think?

It contains the greatest line ever in a film.

"Flash! I love you, but we only have fourteen hours left to save the Earth!!!" :LOL:

I would not complain if nothing ever gets remade.

I'll second that emotion. Apply that law both movies AND music. Ohhhhh, the butchering of Roy Orbison......ohhhhhhhh the humanity.

As for Flash on DVD......that must be an older DVD or a non american one as I have not had any luck finding one here in the US of Eh. How could I pass up a thread with such a title......"For Gods sake.....STRAP YOURSELF IN!!!!!"

As self-proclaimed #1 Music Fan of the board, I disagree with remaking songs.
For one thing, my favorite music, jazz, is often based on interpreting material.

But even with pop and rock, there are a lot of fantastic covers. Here are some of my favorites:

Prince- Joan Osborne's "One of Us" turning that annoying song into something worshipful and gorgeous. Yes, it's Prince, I know, but he is freakin' great.

Isaac Hayes- The Beatles' "Something" soulful, orchestrated, BIG sounding version of the classic ballad.

If the butchering of Roy Orbison you're referring to is Van Halen... yeah, no one can do like Roy, 'cause he was the man. But it was probably fun in concert.
I dig VH but I don't have that album (Diver Down).
PS: Van Halen only ROCKED with Diamond Dave, capice everyone?

Didn't Queen do the soundtrack for Flash? Or was that just for The Highlander?

Yes, Queen was Flash Soundtrack. I love that movie, campy as all get out. It's my understanding there is a new Flash movie in the works, I believe this time around it's meant to be serious Scifi.

Korn's cover of Another Brick in the Wall is really good, but, the remake of Imagine that has recently come out, is flat and uninspired, IMHO.

A Perfect Circle did the new Imagine. Their new album consists entirely of covers of songs with social content, re-working them to be moody and weird. It's an interesting concept and varies for cool to silly. Their other albums, however, are wonderful.

Of course it just reminds me that their singer's other band, Tool, is about due for another masterpiece.

Yes, I believe I like other songs by A Perfect Circle, but, the Imagine remake just doesn't do anything for me. If they were gonna do it, they should have done something with it, change the tempo, make it more melodic or rounded vocals, something. But, to me, it comes off as watered down.

As self-proclaimed #1 Music Fan of the board, I disagree with remaking songs.

If the butchering of Roy Orbison you're referring to is Van Halen... yeah, no one can do like Roy, 'cause he was the man. But it was probably fun in concert.
I dig VH but I don't have that album (Diver Down).
PS: Van Halen only ROCKED with Diamond Dave, capice everyone?

Didn't Queen do the soundtrack for Flash? Or was that just for The Highlander?

Actually there is a Celine Dion cover of "I Drove All Night" that is being played inexplicably often and it creates homicidal tendancies within me.......every frickin time I hear it....can't people just see the name Celine Dion next to a Roy Orbison song title go "uhhhhhh, No. We shouldn't make that."!!!!

There are some worthy covers and while I fully value the place interpretation has in art and especially music, it's hard to do properly and an insult to a good song when done badly which is frequent. I do like the cover No Doubt did on Talk Talk's It's my life. A quality cover can reevoke memories of long forgotten songs from the past as this did for me, but that kind of spot on version is "rare, very rare".

And yup, Queen did both movies Highlander and Flash and both were awesome soundtracks being more a fan of movie songs and scores than pop music (save the 80's which are burned into my favs from my youth). Some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard are from movie and japanese anime scores.

Other great lines:

PREPARE HER FOR OUR PLEASURE!
NOT A CHANCE, MING. DALES'S WITH ME!

Bring me the bore worms.
NO! NOT THE BORE WORMS!

GO FLASH GO!

A quality cover can reevoke memories of long forgotten songs from the past as this did for me, but that kind of spot on version is "rare, very rare".
Oh, I don't think that good covers are all that rare. I mean I own 8 different versions of "Summertime" by Gershwin in my CD collection. None of them is the "original"; since, unless there is an "original cast recording" of the very first production of Porgy & Bess (which I kinda doubt), there isn't any such recording. I like 'em all; Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald with Louis Armstrong on trumpet, Big Mama Thornton, Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company, Sam Cooke, Lambert Hendricks & Ross, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker (the last two are intrumental versions).

You seem to mostly be responding to versions of songs that you already like being re-recorded by artist that you don't like (in general). I just ignore such things.

You seem to mostly be responding to versions of songs that you already like being re-recorded by artist that you don't like (in general).

Well I do like some Celine Dion, but ABSO-Fraggin-LOUTLY NOT doing Roy Orbison.

I just ignore such things.

That sounds ideal....i need to learn that trick. It seemingly has a wide range of applications. :rolleyes: :D

Kill me now.

KD Lang's version of Orbison's "Crying" has always been a favorite of mine. Orbison liked it too. :D

KD Lang is one of those artists who I've been meaning to hear for a while.

Pillow, I wonder how many versions of Summertime I have. I have most of the ones you listed (though I've never heard Cooke's) as well as a bunch more jazz instrumental versions. Of course Miles would have to rank as my fave, as part of the album he and Gil Evans did of the whole score. And while I enjoy both, it's a song much much better suited to Billie than Ella, in my book.

Here's another cool cover: The Talking Heads doing The River. :)

Oh, I don't think that good covers are all that rare. I mean I own 8 different versions of "Summertime" by Gershwin in my CD collection. None of them is the "original"; since, unless there is an "original cast recording" of the very first production of Porgy & Bess (which I kinda doubt), there isn't any such recording. I like 'em all; Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald with Louis Armstrong on trumpet, Big Mama Thornton, Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company, Sam Cooke, Lambert Hendricks & Ross, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker (the last two are intrumental versions).

I own an album that wasn't the original cast album of P&B, as they didnt' record one, but Anne Brown, the original Bess, sings "Summertime". It's not a great recording, as it was done in the 30's, but I love having it.

Chap that made the Mummy and Van Helsing is inline to remake it. I shudder. The bloke that filmed Sky Captain was considered, but they passed on him...

Ditto on remakes generally, they suck.

Latest posts

Members online

Back