• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Firefly Movie (More rumors and speculation)

Glacophane

Regular
Universal pictures has added "Serenity" to their list of upcoming movies on their website. From what I understand that is also the working title of the movie and of course the name of the ship. The movie company has already registered the domain name Serenitymovie.com as well. Looks like things are gearing up for a movie, but you know how quickly these things can fall apart,but I'm hopeful.

I'm sorry but I have to question how this is getting made into a movie. I know the order got messed with and got the usual time slot support but it did get canceled rather quickly. Why has a recent short-lived space western cry out to be made into a movie?

If you liked it I'm glad it's getting made for your sake but it does make me wonder. It really hasn't had time to build a cult following bigger than the audience that got it canceled. Huh?

I think that through the efforts of initial fans of the show, the fanbase of Firefly that exists now is significantly larger, especially with the show having been released on DVD. Additionally, there might be some thought toward the decision to make the movie coming from some of the powers that be having realized with the successful DVD sales of Firefly that the people at Fox screwed up big-time and the production of a movie is a way of trying to rectify that mistake.

They would only do it if they thought they could make money not to right wrongs.

I'm certainly not upset it's getting made into a movie just perplexed why. I wouldn't think the clamor for a Buffy movie would be great enough to give Wedon a vanity project.
Are the DVD sales numbers that good? Does anyone know?

They would only do it if they thought they could make money not to right wrongs.

I'm not saying that as a whole they're collectively doing it to right a wrong, but that maybe someone or a few people involved factored it into their decision to commission production of the movie. It's not unreasonable to believe that at least a couple people in the world of the Suits has qualities to their persons that exists aside from money-only-thought.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I know that just the presale alone on Amazon.com sold out in 24 hours.

They won't to release the exact numbers, despite having been asked by several online news sources. This has led to speculation on the fan boards that the DVD sales are much higher than they expected them to be, even high enough to make it obvious that the series failed because of network issues (such as, airing episodes out of order with the pilot last, airing two episodes than putting it on hiatus for 6 weeks because of baseball, cancelling it just when the internet buzz about the show was getting started) rather than any real problem in the show itself. As a regular read at a couple of Firefly boards, I can tell you that I see a lot of posts from fans who never watched the show when it was on Fox, but fell in love with the show when they watched the DVDs.

As a regular read at a couple of Firefly boards, I can tell you that I see a lot of posts from fans who never watched the show when it was on Fox, but fell in love with the show when they watched the DVDs.

My mother and I are both just such people! I bought the Firefly DVDs having not seen a single episode. I was hesitant to do so because of that. But I love Joss's storytelling ability and my trust in that ability won out over my hesitancy, and I purchased the DVDs. I put in the first episode to watch one day when I was home alone and I fell in love with the show before I even got to the openning credits and knew I had to get my mom to watch the show with me when she had the time. As we concluded watching each episode, we found ourselves being completely baffled by how the people at Fox could have mismanaged the show so much. The quality of the show, of the characters, is so tremendous!

The support of the fans made the DVD set possible! Before the DVD announcement Amazon started a poll in order to find out who would be interested in buying 'Firefly' on DVD.

I think that little short-lived show was a surprise to everyone. For a first season these were great episodes, remember the first season of TNG! :mad:

Maybe Universal thought a survivor like 'Firefly' could make it to the big screen.

I think after so many seasons of 'Buffy' and 'Angel' there's not much more to tell whereas 'Firefly' still has a lot of potential. :)

One of the issues I was concerned over when I first heard of the show was the show's dual space-western motif. I like space stories. I'm not exactly fond of western stories (I don't hate them, they're just not something I go out of my way to watch). So, from this bred my hesitancy. But I decided to trust Whedon and give it a try, and boy am I glad! Firefly is amazing.

...remember the first season of TNG!

I do, actually, and they're fond memories. But then, I was considerably young at the time (I think I was about 7 y/o) and was vastly less academically critical of stories than I am now! But I am truly thankful for TNG as it was one of the first strongly impactful science fiction sources I had.

I think the main reason it's getting made is that there is a good story to tell. Remember, the movie wasn't greenlighted right off the bat - it was pending Joss's script. He turned in a (presumably) good script, and so the movie's getting made - and there was much rejoicing.

I loved Firefly, no, I LOVED Firefly. :) I mean, I'm a fan of most Genre TV (except Farscape which I just never got into, and Enterprise which unfortunately bored me into a coma), but something about Firefly really struck a chord with me...

I think it may have been that its world was just so cohesive, and well thought out. And I liked the silence in space too. :)

By the time they started showing it in the UK, it had already been cancelled, but it still got great ratings on SciFi.

roll on the movie! :)

VB

One of the issues I was concerned over when I first heard of the show was the show's dual space-western motif. I like space stories. I'm not exactly fond of western stories (I don't hate them, they're just not something I go out of my way to watch). So, from this bred my hesitancy. But I decided to trust Whedon and give it a try, and boy am I glad! Firefly is amazing.

...remember the first season of TNG!

I do, actually, and they're fond memories. But then, I was considerably young at the time (I think I was about 7 y/o) and was vastly less academically critical of stories than I am now! But I am truly thankful for TNG as it was one of the first strongly impactful science fiction sources I had.

It certainly was. What I meant to say was that the TNG was not at its best in season 1. TNG came into full bloom in season 3 and the following seasons (except perhaps for season 7 :( ).

So, the first half season of 'Firefly' is really great compared to that and I see great potential for a theatrical movie and maybe another TV series.

If I had to decide between a 'Firefly' TV series or a thatrical movie, I'd vote for a TV series. :D

I live in the Netherlands, where the first episode of Firefly is airing next saturday. From the previous posts I understand the show has great quality, so I'm certainly curious about it.

What I would like to know is, just how soon was it cancelled (how many episodes) and does it give an satisfactory ending? (altough this isn't THAT relevant with a movie coming up that will pick up the storyline)

There were 14 episodes produced. Fox only aired 11 of them. Fox also aired them out of order with the show's PILOT episode being shown last. Watched in the correct and intended order, the show is great. Watched out of order, and I can't blame anyone for being confused and finding difficulty in having their interest caught.

they don't really tie up any of the arc plots, but equally they don't leave you on a cliff hanger, like Dark Skies...

In the UK, we got them all in the right order, and it rocked: hopefully you will get them in the right order too...

VB

they don't really tie up any of the arc plots, but equally they don't leave you on a cliff hanger, like Dark Skies...

Hmmm, no 'real' ending but no cliff-hanger either... Although I didn't expect a real ending on a cancelled series, but (strange as it may sound) too bad there's no real cliff-hanger either (which might have happened accidentally). With a cliff-hanger the connection with the upcoming movie would be more logical (if that line of reasoning makes sense with you).

But well, I'm getting ahead of myself here - first episode airs tonight, and I can't wait.

***** Well, I'm back to edit my message. 'Tonight' has come and gone, and I've watched Firefly....man what an amazing series!! It's the best sci-fi I've seen since that OTHER show we so obsess about on this messageboard.

One downside though, the first episode was 'The train Job', and NOT the two hour pilot. It looks like the dutch tv-station that shows Firefly took it's que from FOX on in which order to air the series.....grumble.....grumble.....grumble....

Missed this post when I was scanning through looking for Firefly stuff, so I launched my own thread....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back