• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester - Question

bakana

Beyond the rim
No page number, but I do remember it from the Telepath trilogy.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I think that's when Lyta gets killed instead, but I'm not sure. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

I don't know where in the book that happened.

Since that time period is not covered in the book, it must be a brief reference either in the dialog or in the thoughts that we (the audiance) are privy to (maybe Bester's?).

That means that it could be almost anywhere in the book.

------------------

Lyta's trap is on page 212. In Star Wars terms Bester detected the large disturbance in the Force caused by Lyta's presence.

Lyta's death is page 228 of "Babylon 5 - Final Reckoning : The Fate of Bester" by J. Gregory Keyes.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A_M_Swallow:
Lyta's trap is on page 212. In Star Wars terms Bester detected the large disturbance in the Force caused by Lyta's presence.

Lyta's death is page 228 of "Babylon 5 - Final Reckoning : The Fate of Bester" by J. Gregory Keyes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha!
laugh.gif

Thanks.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

The B5 Chronology http://www.chronology.org/b-five/ has the following:

2264 - "Lyta nearly kills Bester, ..."

...as coming from this book.

Anybody got a page number for that???

I made notes in all the books, but this isn't one isn't among my notes, and that's why I don't remember it, and don't think it's in the book.

It'd be nice if all the novels were available in electronic form. Word
search would have come in handy so many times.
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 11, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> In Star Wars terms Bester detected the large disturbance in the Force caused by Lyta's presence. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which would imply that Lyta let her anger get the better of her. If she'd been Paying Attention, she could have kept her telepathic talent so quiet that Bester would never realize she was there until she fried his brain.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Which would imply that Lyta let her anger get the better of her. If she'd been Paying Attention, she could have kept her telepathic talent so quiet that Bester would never realize she was there until she fried his brain.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but then we wouldn't have had
Spoiler for Psi Corps Book #3

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Garibaldi getting Bester.</font></td></tr></table>

I admit this failure of Lyta does seem odd and disappointing. I'd have much rather had Garibaldi and Lyta go after him together, and nail him. The trouble is, who gets to make the kill?

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
I admit this failure of Lyta does seem odd and disappointing. I'd have much rather had Garibaldi and Lyta go after him together, and nail him. The trouble is, who gets to make the kill?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would have always been Garibaldi - the rogue that Matheson "forgot" to sleeper in "Path of Sorrows" was originally to have been Lyta, (just as the head of Mars security in erm, can't remember the title, was originally meant to have been Garibaldi) but due to budget constraints (plus any other rumours you want to throw in) they couldn't do it so parts were recast/slimmed down.

Hence the entire "weapon" speech that Lyta gave Garibaldi in season 5...

------------------
Paddy Sinclair

"I think it's an excellent plan. But then, I've been shot through the head on five or six occasions"- Troop Leader Keitel, The Corps

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Lyta was being quiet, Bester probably detected the energy in her block.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frobisher:
It would have always been Garibaldi - the rogue that Matheson "forgot" to sleeper in "Path of Sorrows" was originally to have been Lyta,...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Knew that, but since she wasn't in Crusade, JMS can change things. Lennier was also supposed to have been there.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frobisher:
... (just as the head of Mars security in erm, can't remember the title,...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruling from the Tomb

... was originally meant to have been Garibaldi)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't know that.

Hence the entire "weapon" speech that Lyta gave Garibaldi in season 5...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, you're connecting Lyta's "weapon" speech in Objects in Motion to what was supposed to have been Lyta's role in The Path of Sorrows.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 14, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back