• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Favorite Crusade Episode

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Basically I'd like to make up a poll for this one and see how votes we get and so can discover which styles and moods, scripts and acting are better than others.

So if everyone who has watched Crusade right through, who have either liked it or disliked please present what you thought was your favorite ep or what you considered better than any of the others.

Well My vote would be for:

THE MEMORY OF WAR

Excellent episode which includes all of the characters has action, mystery and explains alot about Galen and also had the potential arc for Gideon's need for the Apocalypse Box and how it said not to trust Galen.

Okay, Cast your votes.

------------------
"It is the Errors and faults of we,
That we fight for our nation,
Against a darkness that we forever see."

The Path of Sorrows. I always liked the way they integrated the back stories of the characters into one great episode.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Yeah, The Path of Sorrows was good, but there still was that weird feeling that it's messed up somehow. The best from my point of view is The Needs of Earth. There is everything that B5 had: jokes, action and drama.

------------------

I've thought about this but can't really choose partly because I can't remember the names of the episodes. I liked the one where Dr. Franklin came on board, just enjoyed seeing someone from B5. Also it seemed to have something to do with solving the plague problem which many episode didn't.
smile.gif

------------------

That was the last episode and my fav aswell, you get a small glipse of a warlock
smile.gif

The ep is call Each night I dream of home

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
I've thought about this but can't really choose partly because I can't remember the names of the episodes. I liked the one where Dr. Franklin came on board, just enjoyed seeing someone from B5. Also it seemed to have something to do with solving the plague problem which many episode didn't.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jomar, I agree completely!
I loved finally seeing someone from Babylon 5... In fact, I loved everytime they mentioned someone or something from B5 (like when Gideon was telling Lochely how he admires John Sheridan... I just flipped when I heard him say "John Sheridan"
laugh.gif
).
I don't really get why they didn't have more actors from Babylon5 on the show... I'm SURE neither Bruce Boxleitner, Jerry Doyle, or any other actor from B5 would mind attending to at least one epsiode... I just don't get why of all the "oldies" it had to be Lochely adn Franklin... I like them both (Well, I like Lochely less), but I'm sure fans would react much better to the show if it had guest appearences by more popular charachters such as G'kar, John, Garibladi or anyone else.

I also agree with Jomar that there weren't enough episodes that were actually dealing with the plauge... But that can be excused since no one knew they're gonna have to wrap it all up in 13 episodes
smile.gif

------------------
"If I don't see you again here... I will see you, in a little while... In a place where no shadows fall."

Babylon 5, my dear dear fellow fans, is the greatest thing on this earth. Understand how lucky you are for knowing it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Infested Londo:
I don't really get why they didn't have more actors from Babylon5 on the show...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1. This wasn't the B5 guest star of the week show - it was trying to establish itself as something seperate.

2. TNT decided after the first 5 that connections to B5 should be minimzed. They backed off this later, but that was just before the production stopped. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I just don't get why of all the "oldies" it had to be Lochely adn Franklin...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Because they were apropriate for the story. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I also agree with Jomar that there weren't enough episodes that were actually dealing with the plauge...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Offhand, Visitors From the Down the Street and Patterns of the Soul were the only ones where the crew weren't searching for information that might help find a cure.

My favourite... I think The Rules of the Game is underated. It's a very good character ep for Max and Gideon.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

"Each night I dream of home." I also liked seeing the good doctor...and the warlock cruiser....sweeet. Music started getting better towards the end as well.

Philip Voss NYC
A sad day for all
frown.gif

------------------
"There is no memory with less satisfaction in it than the memory of some temptation we resisted."
-Harlan Ellison quoting James Branch Cabell

Patterns of the Soul.

It really got to the heart of characters, what makes them tick.

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

'Appearances and Other Deceits'

I liked getting the Nightwatch guy back and his comments about how he has learned to adapt to changes. I loved Kevin the Fascist Fashion Designer, and his interaction with John Matheson.

The episode gave Max some good opportunities for soul searching and Gideon some good action scenes.

I've always wondered if Gideon allowed Matheson to lead the away team to the alien vessel because he has a problem with going out into space in a suit, after the Cerberus. This is the only time we see Gideon not leading a mission himself.

I love the opportunity the episode gave Gary Cole to show his comedy skills in his interactions with Kevin and the new uniforms.

Great switch of emotions right at the end from the 'bellhop' comment to dictating the letters to the families of the dead crewmen. Very poignant.

------------------
Demon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I've always wondered if Gideon allowed Matheson to lead the away team to the alien vessel because he has a problem with going out into space in a suit, after the Cerberus. This is the only time we see Gideon not leading a mission himself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it was because Matheson LOVES going out in a suit. It was basicly a favor for a friend.

There is also the possibility that Matheson's telepathic abilities might be Useful in dealing with aliens. We know that there are a Lot of new rules for Telepaths, but we don't know what they are. Perhaps this is one of the few situations where he'd actually be allowed to Use them.

There is also one of the things Garibaldi pointed out to Sinclair way back in Season One of B5.

As Captain, Gideon is NOT supposed to be leading those teams himself. If he gets himself killed, it causes all Sorts of problems.

Administratively the Captain is the only "irreplaceable" member of the crew. Anybody else gets killed, they just keep going.
OTOH, if the Captain gets killed, they have to go back and get a replacement.

Not that this would stop JMS from killing Gideon if he felt like it, of course.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited September 12, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by drakh:
2. TNT decided after the first 5 that connections to B5 should be minimzed. They backed off this later, but that was just before the production stopped.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I guess this explains it then
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
Because they were apropriate for the story.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it would be too far-fetched to write a story that would have John or anyone else in it... It doesn't even have to be a story about them, just ahving them in some scenes would be nice. I don't think the actors would object or would demand too much money, since some of them were probably around the set anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Offhand, Visitors From the Down the Street and Patterns of the Soul were the only ones where the crew weren't searching for information that might help find a cure.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well what I meant is that they never seemed to be getting any new information, except for in the final episode... I just think the plot went a little too slow, though, as I said, they didn't know it's gonna be over so soon.

------------------
"If I don't see you again here... I will see you, in a little while... In a place where no shadows fall."

Babylon 5, my dear dear fellow fans, is the greatest thing on this earth. Understand how lucky you are for knowing it.

Live For The One
Die For The One
Eat At Joe's
Etc, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> As Captain, Gideon is NOT supposed to be leading those teams himself. If he gets himself killed, it causes all Sorts of problems.

Administratively the Captain is the only "irreplaceable" member of the crew. Anybody else gets killed, they just keep going.
OTOH, if the Captain gets killed, they have to go back and get a replacement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In theory ITA. In practice, Gideon is another Captain Kirk
smile.gif
In War Zone, The Long Road, Patterns of the Soul, Path of Sorrows, Racing the Night, Memory of War, Needs of Earth and Well of Forever, we see him leaving the ship, or leading landing parties, sometimes when he and everyone else KNOWS he shouldn't.

In the remaining 5 episodes he leaves to go to safe destinations twice (Mars and B5), and twice no one leaves the ship at all (Visitors and Each Night I Dream of Home).

Once, and only once, in the nine episodes where there is a need to leave the ship to go to an unknown and potentially unsafe destination, does Gideon allow Matheson to lead the party.

Matheson's telepathic powers could have been useful on other occasions too, so why does Gideon let him lead this one but not the others?

Two reasons are possible as far as I can see:

1) As you said, a favour to a friend. If John likes going out in spacesuits, Gideon might give up the opportunity himself.

2) Gideon has a phobia after the Cerberus incident.

I think the latter interpretation is quite possible. It might actually be surprising if he didn't have a phobia after such a trauma!

------------------
Demon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Matheson's telepathic powers could have been useful on other occasions too, so why does Gideon let him lead this one but not the others?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, for the Teep angle, it's a pretty good bet that he's NOT allowed to use his abilities where there is any chance he might scan a Human, even by accident.

In the case of the alien ship, he might be the only one who stood a chance of finding a Survivor in time.
This is probably the only circumstance that Does allow him to use his abilities.

I'm not going to give any credence to the phobia idea.
Gideon was certainly checked out thoroughly before being returned to active status after he was rescued.
Since the job sometimes requires EVA, if he had any phobias, they would not have let him back on active status until they had been dealt with.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

I'm going to go out on a little bit of a limb here, and cast my vote for "Visitors From Down the Street."

Why? Because it was a brilliant piece of both parody (of X-Files, obviously) but also satire.

As parody, it was hilarious, almost fall-down funny at times.

As satire, it reminded us of just how ridiculous we can be when we get caught up in conspiracy theories, and how sometimes the search for what we believe to be the truth can blind us to what the truth really is.

True, it didn't have a lot to do with the search for the cure, but it demonstrated that Crusade as a show could work quite well beyond that premise.

Peace,
Jamie

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Since the job sometimes requires EVA, if he had any phobias, they would not have let him back on active status until they had been dealt with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good point. But I still think he probably has an aversion if not a phobia, too much of a conicidence that he let Matheson lead just this once. We may have to agree to differ
smile.gif

------------------
Demon

My Faves were (in rough order):

Racing the night
Path of Sorrows
Memory of War
Needs of Earth

Don't feel like going into the why's and wherefore's right now
wink.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Entillzha:

Basically I'd like to make up a poll for this one and see how votes we get and so can discover which styles and moods, scripts and acting are better than others.

So if everyone who has watched Crusade right through, who have either liked it or disliked please present what you thought was your favorite ep or what you considered better than any of the others.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is how I'd rank them. The further indented an episode is, the less I liked it. The Order is JMS's order.

"RACING THE NIGHT"
~~~~"THE NEEDS OF EARTH"
"THE MEMORY OF WAR"
~~~~~~~~"THE LONG ROAD"
~~~~~~~~"VISITORS FROM DOWN THE STREET"
~~~~"THE WELL OF FOREVER"
~~~~"EACH NIGHT I DREAM OF HOME"
"PATTERNS OF THE SOUL"
"THE PATH OF SORROWS"
~~~~~~~~~~~~"RULING FROM THE TOMB"
~~~~"THE RULES OF THE GAME"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"WAR ZONE"
~~~~~~~~"APPEARANCES AND OTHER DECEITS"

Tier 1:
"RACING THE NIGHT"
"THE MEMORY OF WAR"
"PATTERNS OF THE SOUL"
"THE PATH OF SORROWS"

Tier 2:
"THE NEEDS OF EARTH"
"THE WELL OF FOREVER"
"EACH NIGHT I DREAM OF HOME"
"THE RULES OF THE GAME"

Tier 3:
"THE LONG ROAD"
"VISITORS FROM DOWN THE STREET"
"APPEARANCES AND OTHER DECEITS"

Tier 4:
"RULING FROM THE TOMB"

Tier 5:
"WAR ZONE"

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for the new series
"Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2, 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited September 16, 2001).]

I'm going to say The Memory of War is my favorite with Racing the Night a close second. Both had some nice interaction between the crewmembers and good story lines.
Sadly, the two episodes that might have topped even these were never filmed - the two scripts that were on Bookface for a while which would have been the season finale.
frown.gif
They would have been fine to watch on the screen.
Margot

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back