• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Exit Lou Welch; Enter Zach Allan

Recoil

Regular
Lou Welch was always one of Garibaldi's top guys throughout Season 1, and part of Season 2. He was never his second in command, but he was a common re-ocurring supporting character. The last Episode I remember seeing Lou in, was GROPOS.

He was eventually replaced by the character of Zach Allan (although Zach appeared in an episode BEFORE Lou was replaced). Zach's first Episode was "Spider in the Web" which was about 4 episodes before the last one we saw Lou in.

Does anyone know why this change was made? Was it something to do with the actor being available? Decided on a more "likeable" character? Was there ever any discussion around this?

I'm just curious really, I do like Zach a lot, but thought Lou was cool in a blue-collar working class kinda way. Zach was the same type for the most part, but Lou looked more like a plumber. :p I was just curious if there was a reaon the switch was made, or if it was one of those things that just happened.

Lou Welch was always one of Garibaldi's top guys throughout Season 1, and part of Season 2. He was never his second in command, but he was a common re-ocurring supporting character. The last Episode I remember seeing Lou in, was GROPOS.

He was eventually replaced by the character of Zach Allan (although Zach appeared in an episode BEFORE Lou was replaced). Zach's first Episode was "Spider in the Web" which was about 4 episodes before the last one we saw Lou in.

Does anyone know why this change was made? Was it something to do with the actor being available? Decided on a more "likeable" character? Was there ever any discussion around this?

I'm just curious really, I do like Zach a lot, but thought Lou was cool in a blue-collar working class kinda way. Zach was the same type for the most part, but Lou looked more like a plumber. :p I was just curious if there was a reaon the switch was made, or if it was one of those things that just happened.

I know this will come up later in the disscussion so I'm going to mention it now. Lou Welch's fate after the show was shown in the Legions of Fire Trilogy book number 2, Armies of Light and Dark. :)

I know this will come up later in the disscussion so I'm going to mention it now. Lou Welch's fate after the show was shown in the Legions of Fire Trilogy book number 2, Armies of Light and Dark. :)

Yes, I remember what happened to Lou in the Centauri trilogy, but that doesn't explain what happens to him on the show and why you don't see him any more after Zach's emergence, does it?

Yes, I remember what happened to Lou in the Centauri trilogy, but that doesn't explain what happens to him on the show and why you don't see him any more after Zach's emergence, does it?

David L. Crowley, who played Lou Welch, decided he wanted to do other things, so the character just kind of faded away. I liked big, dumb Lou myself.

To replace him, the producers contacted Jeff Conaway, who just happened to be a regular viewer and fan of the show. He jumped at the opportunity to come onboard.

David L. Crowley, who played Lou Welch, decided he wanted to do other things, so the character just kind of faded away. I liked big, dumb Lou myself.

To replace him, the producers contacted Jeff Conaway, who just happened to be a regular viewer and fan of the show. He jumped at the opportunity to come onboard.

Aside from everything else, I think Lou wouldn't have gone for the Nightwatch crap. Having Zack as the new guy made it easier to do.

Aside from everything else, I think Lou wouldn't have gone for the Nightwatch crap. Having Zack as the new guy made it easier to do.

Yea Mike, I read the Centauri Trilogy so I was aware of his fate. My question was more along the lines of why the change was made in S2.

I think B5_Obsessed nailed the background story that I was looking for. Actor decision for the most part. I agree, I liked the guy myself. I also agree with what was said above about Lou probably wouldnt have gone through the NightWatch stuff, but remember Zach WAS around at the time, so they could have had him still go through it.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, that pretty much sums up what I was wondering. :)

Yea Mike, I read the Centauri Trilogy so I was aware of his fate. My question was more along the lines of why the change was made in S2.

I think B5_Obsessed nailed the background story that I was looking for. Actor decision for the most part. I agree, I liked the guy myself. I also agree with what was said above about Lou probably wouldnt have gone through the NightWatch stuff, but remember Zach WAS around at the time, so they could have had him still go through it.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, that pretty much sums up what I was wondering. :)

Interesting.

I just mentioned the Books because I figured some one was going to bring it up eventually.

Interesting.

I just mentioned the Books because I figured some one was going to bring it up eventually.

SPOILER

SPOILER!

I didn't like Lou's fate one little bit, but I guess he was expendable at that point. I never really understood what was up with Throk. Lou should have been able to wipe the floor with him, but he seemed to possess superhuman strength. I waited for an explanation as I read along, but none was forthcoming.

Then Throk went *poof*.

SPOILER

SPOILER!

I didn't like Lou's fate one little bit, but I guess he was expendable at that point. I never really understood what was up with Throk. Lou should have been able to wipe the floor with him, but he seemed to possess superhuman strength. I waited for an explanation as I read along, but none was forthcoming.

Then Throk went *poof*.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back