• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Enterprise vs. Rangers

In regard to marketing, the cast was always told that Sci Fi had intended to run trailers for the tv movie in movie theaters, just as they had for Dune. This is a gutsy move in my opinion since the trailer would obviously be compared in production quality with the other "feature" trailers (with budgets ten to thirty times the size of Rangers') and might suffer from that, not to mention how few people really know anything about B5.

On the flip side it would show a real determination on Sci Fi's part to market this thing. If they also give us the same billboard campaign that Dune got, we might get some serious awareness in the general public. We all know how well Dune did from their relatively aggressive campaign.

I'm certainly going to be interested if they follow through with their original ideas. I know some people outside of Sci Fi who are responsible for drumming up awareness are a little disappointed with the networks silence. On the other hand, Sci Fi's publicity department has been doing some ground work. We have to remember this thing is still a long way off and major publications work months in advance of release. Not that we're going to get the same saturation as Enterprise obviously.

We're all going to get a sense of Sci Fi's interest in Rangers from their campaign. That of course will also be determined to a degree by who ultimately owns the rights - Warner Bros. or Sci Fi.

It will all be very interesting.
crazy.gif

Regards,

Dylan

------------------

I was reading JMS's posts about Babylon 5 before "The Gathering" even aired and I don't Ever remember him "behaving childishly" or posting "screaming and kicking like a wronged child".

Usually JMS posted "relax and wait, Babylon 5 will be Much Better" type messages to Other people who were annoyed on his behalf.

The following is a JMS post that addresses the subject.
Pay particular attention to his statements at the end where he Emphatically Defends Berman & Pillar.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Re: DS9 vs B5 comments

20 Jun 1995

Ted: I think your note is even-handed and well considered. For me, any one of the items you discuss being present isn't a big deal; it's the cumulative effect of all of them being present in both shows, at the same time, airing within weeks of one another.

The result of all this nearly killed B5 in its early stages, which I think was the desired effect. You must understand that when B5 was announced in the trades for the first time in November of that year (2-3 months prior to the announcement of DS9), in articles that described it pretty succinctly (space station, rogues, renegades, all the usual H'wood hype), it was often referred to as Warner's attempt to create a space franchise (see above re: hype).

There has *long* been bad blood between Paramount and Warner Bros. Particularly since Paramount was then already setting the blocks in place to create its own network, and PTEN was being birthed right then, setting the stage for major conflict. The number of syndicated stations is very small, and the hours available per station equally small. Faced with that kind of scenario, big guns tend to be pulled out.

Whatever the sequence of events might have been, the result was that I ended up sitting in meetings with Warner execs who said, "How am I supposed to sell this show? It's *identical* to DS9 in any way that matters, the syndicated market can't sustain two identical shows like this, and they've go the Star Trek name to entice station owners. Nobody knows from 'Babylon 5.'"

Understand, since the debuts, the shows have gone off in different directions, but we're talking the first season and the pilot. Nearly all the articles described them as nearly identical at that stage. And the details of character don't often play to TV execs who only see the broad strokes, the "quick concept."

The fact that the two shows were so similar at that time, one a nobody show from nowhere, the other bundled with the STAR TREK (tm) name, came within an inch of killing Babylon 5. (Which wasn't helped by A Certain Studio telling advertisers that B5 was going to be crap, cheaply produced, and not to bother.) That's one of the main reasons why it took nearly a period of four months before we finally got the go order for year one, after everybody crunched the ratings, and the demos, and decided to take a chance on it. And even THEN we were told, "The syndie market can't sustain two shows like this; you're gonna get creamed."

Through the clipping service, I saw one newspaper/magazine article after another calling B5 a "clone" of DS9. Because they considered them identical. Many ST fans felt the same way, and said so, openly. "Jeez, they copied EVERYthing," one noted. Now, when we point out which really came first, suddenly some of these same folks say, "Nah...they're not alike at ALL. Don't be silly."

One could get whiplash from such a thing.

To step back a second, the reality is that this sort of thing happens in hollywood all the time. When "The Abyss" was being produced, several other films with identical concepts were rushed forward (remember Deepstar 7 or 9 or whatever that was?). Consequently, one of the things you most protect are the details of your project. You don't want a possible competitor to know what you're doing. Unfortunately, right there in the files at Paramount was every last detail about how we were going to do B5, the station, the stories, everything.

{sarcasm]
Now, I'm sure that the Paramount execs said, "No, no...we won't look at it, we won't open the drawer, we'll remain pure and virginal and even though we're trying to beat Warners in creating a new network, even though they're threatening to break our monopoly on space/future shows, we won't open that file drawer, no sir."

They could not possibly have said, "Okay, open the file drawer. Let's take a peek at what they're going to do. We won't copy it, exactly, but knowing what they're doing will allow us to co-opt a little of their franchise, enough to cut them off at the knees in the marketplace. We won't tell Berman or Pillar about this, because they would never go along with it, but we'll just *guide* them here and there. We give notes all the time in development, who's to know where they came from?" [/sarcasm]

And just to be clear, so the sarcasm doesn't get in the way: I have never, *ever* felt, or believed, or thought, that Berman or Pillar EVER saw or knew about the B5 information. Had anyone suggested anything of a less than straightforward nature, they would have refused; of that I have no doubt.
No sarcasm, that's what I think.

jms <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

As Kosh would say, the truth points to itself. I'm sure any similarities will be only superficial, and JMS's vision/writing/story arc will soon make it clear which is best. I've been a ST fan since TOS, but any discussions I have with friends about it invariably center on holes in the plot, or why did they do one stupid thing or another. With a new series, I look forward to having interesting BB discussions about the significance of this detail or that, and trying to figure out what will happen next. I think SciFi's real mistake is not ironing things out with WB and getting the series into production as fast as possible, once they saw the finished film.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindrome of the month: Satan, oscilate my metalic sonatas.

im not worried b5 is no longer the new kid on the block its got a big hardcore fanbase and 1/4 of them are fed up treekies
wink.gif

i really do hope enterprise goes really well i dont want to see trek die it still has a lot to offer...just the wrong guys at the weel, b5 will do fine n will more than likely beat the crap outa enterprise even if it is good
smile.gif

i cant see how they could copy this time since they have not script lol
smile.gif
basics mabe but the rest will be much much diffrent

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

[This message has been edited by Cleron (edited September 04, 2001).]

The superficial similarities between what I've heard/read about Rangers and Enterprise sound striking, that is true. Although I must agree with some of the posters above and say that the two will probably be different enough, so that those who want to follow both shouldn't have to worry.

Basically, the idea (or premise or whatever it's called) is not all that original for either of the two. What matters is the execution. For example, The Sopranos could be described as just another maffia story - and it is - but it's a good maffia story, with great characters and some excellent dialogue, and that sets it apart from many other similar stories. (This is a personal opinion, not stated as a fact.)

The one thing I fail to understand is the attitude so many people seem to have (not the people on this board but viewers in general) - that if you have one story, then the other must be a boring copy, not even worth checking out.

Why? If you like one story, if you consider it good and interesting, then why not give the other one a chance as well, even if you originally think it's a "copy" of your favourite? Chances are that even if it has some similarities with your favourite, it would be just as good and worth watching, if not better. And if you don't like it *after* giving it a chance, then fine.

Slamming something before you've even seen it really is something I don't get. I watch very little TV myself and frankly am not interested in most of the stuff that's on - but I certainly don't waste my time attacking those shows. They may not be my cup of tea, but if others like them, then I have no problems with that.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

I can see how unassuming people might be persuaded to think Rangers is somehow a subpar copy of Enterprise, but by the time Rangers come around, they may all have been so disappointed with Enterprise they'll flock to Rangers in droves!

As you can see I'm not overly optimistic about Enterprise - although I do want it to succeed, or at least offer something more progressive for Trek.

Another thing... I'm hoping some positive reviews/press of Rangers will counter any "bad copy" stigma and get people interested in watching both shows. I'm not sure what the critics thought of B5's pilot, anyone remember?

PS. I know this is off-topic, but I'm interested SataiDelenn, what was the show that ripped yours off, and what was so controversial about your pilot?

I'd like to think our country doesn't shy away from potential controversy in it's TV productions...maybe i'm naive?

I would love to see the trailer in movie theaters - that would totally open up a world of promotion. We are definitely jumping the gun, because it's still four months until airing; even Enterprise wasn't heavily promoting itself this early. But still...

The product is very risky from a marketing standpoint. Although the original series was very good, it was never on at a decent time anywhere in the States after the fourth year, nearly got cancelled, and left the tube still relatively unpublicized (ME, the premier SF fan of New York State, had no idea of its existence until it came to Sci-Fi.) The only OTHER spinoff series based on B5 failed. Miserably. We love it, but the Gods of profit don't!

There's no way to beat the Trek juggernaut, so the PR honchos at whoever decides to buy B5LR are going to have to come up with a different kind of campaign in order for it to be seen as an something different than Trek's malign little brother, if that's possible. They need to stop running the thing behind a standpoint that says "Look at our risk-taking captain, flying submarine and plotline in a universe filled with the new and adventurous!", which, again, seems to be Trek's major claim during this campaign.

They just need to market Rangers differently, that's all.

Don't join 'em. Beat 'em. As Lochley would say.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Granted I don't know squat about "The Biz," but it seems like the situations of B5 vs DS9 and Enterprise vs Rangers are very different. B5 had to worry about competition in syndication. This time, the two shows are in different markerts: Enterprise on syndication, Rangers on cable. As long as they're not aired at the same time, then there really isn't direct competition.

As far as what execs or viewers might think of the press? Who knows? People think all sorts of screwy things. Perhaps one solution is not more marketing, but better marketing. Maybe it's possible to have ads, articles, etc, that emphasise the qualities about the show that are different than Trek without saying as much.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Thanks, Bakana, I never encountered that post.

I've only been on the InterNet a year, just under. About three months ago I discovered some archieved JMS posts from GENIE while on a hunt for the reputed discussions he had with fans, as he fed tid bits to the audience before and during B5's original run. The posts, according to the archiever, are incomplete.

If I insinuated that he spoke ill of Berman and Pillar, then I apologise. What I meant was that he was often snide about Star Trek.

There is one post where he seemed to accuse Paramount of directly ripping off Babylon 5 - this might be true... if so, then that is obviously terrible behaviour on Paramounts behalf. But there are a number of other posts where he takes what seemed to me to be unnecessary shots at Star Trek, at times its themes, and on rare occassion its characters (in his defence he also praised aspects, but the damage - as I see it - had already been done). All this to his audience. It struck me (personally) as a bad move.

This is all just one persons comment and opinion. I'm not slandering his character but I am questioning his judgement about making those comments at all. The Paramount ripping off B5 comment, I understand - especially considering the war going on, and especially if it is true. Catering to the bitchiness of the fan base... I just don't get.

As it is, and I have typed before in other posts, JMS is a hero of mine, and a human being I respect greatly for his efforts and his aspirations.

The funny thing is that when confronted by the very human side of those you idealise, you are sometimes taken aback that they are as mortal as you. Sometimes it's disappointing, and sometimes it is enouraging. For me, with JMS, it has moments of both. Encouraging because like the rest of us he is still striving through this adventure we call life, and despite his 'inner bitch', he can create such beautiful and wise, noble and true characters, stories and words that actors give life to. That is what makes me love the guy even more. Some people are just nasty or closed minded every moment they draw breath. Others are just cynical and jaded, but move on to make something incredible.

Disappointing for me because I recieved a forced reality check. I'd allowed myself to be lulled into this absolutely ridiculous reality where JMS was some marvelous wise sage spinning wisdom from a secluded mountain somewhere - so far above the rest of us who are striving for a taste of Minbari serenity and wisdom, or Sinclair like resolution and nobility.

Any frustration that came through in my last post were for two reasons - I remain bewildered at Sci-Fi's indecision and wait and see attitude, though I understand its logic. And second to me it was happening all over again (in a different way) when I read somewhere about 'insults to TNT in Minbari' about the Liandra's bridge, mentioned in a recent article.

But that is just ME. I believe that our thoughts and our actions affect for good or ill everything we do. Like attracts like. I was saddened that JMS seemed to me to be dragging the past into the present, and showering his show with a splash of negative energy. No doubt, I got carried away.

To me JMS is a great and extraordinary man with a fantastic vision, it just bewilders me when he goes and throws himself of the character cliff, and gets a little rabid.

I freely admit that I ask myself "WHY? Why did he do that? What message does he think he is sending?"

Rather than blindly defend the man, I would love to question him and grow to understand him. Not that that chance is likely to ever present itself.
smile.gif

As it is, I remain a fan, and one day would love nothing more than to work with him, but even more to interrogate him (nicely
laugh.gif
) about the things I have read, the reasons for it, and to swap views of existence. I think we'd have a wonderful time smacking each other in the head with our demented world views.

But again, thanks Bakana, that post was wonderful, but it confuses me even further!
crazy.gif
I just keep asking... why?!

------------------
Sheridan: "It's... damn inconvienient!"
Delenn: "The truth often is."

[This message has been edited by SataiDelenn (edited September 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by SataiDelenn (edited September 04, 2001).]

Isn't it interesting (in these forums) how someone now and then reads a post, and then angles in on one part of it and gets a little defensive?

Sorry... to quote from Satai Delenn, I'm letting my inner bitch out for some air.

Anyway... *shoves inner bitch back in box*

Enterprise vs Rangers.

Dylan, I suppose there is cause for concern. It is most certainly unfortunate that this is happening... again.

The biggest part of the unfortunate scenario is that it effects you and your collegues, JMS and everyone else responsible for attempting to bring us quality science fiction. If the series dies because of any similarities, or fails to reach its potential, it effects YOU guys. We fans will recieve some dissappointment, but we'll live. Very little in our lives is running on whether or not the series airs.

You know, returning to my inner bitch... as a fan, sometimes I get really sick of fans.

*inner bitch forces her way back out of the box*

Don't you think that we can be a bunch of occassionally self righteous, anal retentive, bitchie, self indulgent arseholes who just pick and pick and pick at something until it bleeds (some... not all!).

So what if Enterprise and Rangers are similar, or DS9 and Babylon 5 were similar? REALITY CHECK time, it's cosmetic. They are two different shows, from two different minds (or three if you want to get exact about it), with two different but equally quality casts and production teams.

How incredibly insane is it to even begin to bother to compare Star Trek with Babylon 5? The similarities are not important. So completely beside the point.

Sure, it's fun and what this site is all about... Babylon 5. But let's do ourselves a favour and remember that it doesn't matter which is better. Are we in High School?

Whether you like it or not, Star Trek IS quality science fiction. So what if some of the stories suck? It's production values and attention to detail is incredible.

Babylon 5 is quality science fiction as well. They're different, and that is one of the best compliments I can give.

No. The similarities do not concern me as a viewer, but someone who has a sincere interest in the lives of the actors behind the characters we will come to love, it does concern me. But in my honest, high and mighty opinion, when it all comes down to it, we're going to laugh about these concerns when the grand finale decends in 2006.

I'm stepping down off my pedestal now... I think I broke it somewhere during my self righteous, heavy handed, bitchie, anal retentive, self indulgent speech!
laugh.gif

------------------
"Officially, I'm a P5. Unofficially, my range is more... much more."

[This message has been edited by Catheryn (edited September 04, 2001).]

*blush* Hmmm...

Just re read my initial post.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you wish you could kick yourself in the head?

I just did.
blush.gif

"Screaming and kicking..." what was I on about? Talk about extremes... of stupidity.

------------------

Fah!
F-Enterprise! I, for one, most likely won't be watching that.
Rangers will be much better I'm sure!
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

I doubt any of us are happy about it, but the Trek franchise is an 800 pound (364 kilogram?) gorilla; and no amount of stomach acid generated by us is going to change that.

B5LR still has 4 months until launch, so I doubt we'll see too much promotion immediately.

If we are going to get our shorts in a knot over anything, it should be over what we can do to push out the news on our end, not all the shiny new equipment the other team has. It's just too counterproductive.

So I'm open to suggestions -- email campaigns? arrange movie watching parties on launch date?

It's not my place, and I hesitate to suggest it -- but I'd like to see moderated chats with the B5LR cast & crew here on this site; and I'd like to see those chats promoted. Who, how, when, etc. I can't say....

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Rather than blindly defend the man, I would love to question him and grow to understand him. Not that that chance is likely to ever present itself.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not?? He is on line and posting every day. You are welcome to join the service where he posts.

And, speaking from experience, if you ask thoughtful, provocative questions that catch his attention, he's likely to answer.

Or, you could post something that is outrageously Wrong and get his attention that way.
wink.gif

As far as the "insults to TNT" in Minbari or Vorlon in the new series, hey, JMS is the first to admit to being a grown-up fanboy.

He didn't Create these (so far as I know), but I see no reason he shouldn't find them Funny. Some of the people on the crew for Rangers were with Crusade when TNT messed up. They lost a good Job and might be forgiven for taking a little subtle revenge.

The fact that they did it in Minbari is a nice touch.
laugh.gif

Now, if you want to hear about JMS ability to hold a grudge "until it dies of old age, then send it out to the taxidermist", catch JMS at a convention and get him to tell the story about the Fake Script that had Londo & G'Kar jumping into Bed together.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

It's a story of Revenge, carefully plotted, faultlessly exectuted and elaborately designed. Paybacks are Hell. Neitehr Peter nor Andreas will ever get caught playing practical jokes on the Great Maker again.

Besides, after hearing the line:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."
Ivanova to Sheridan in Babylon 5:"Voices of Authority" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How could you doubt that JMS has his Puckish streak??

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited September 04, 2001).]

You know, that line is explainable. Ivanova could be quipping. After all, the B5 universe could have had a show named Star Trek in its history, too.

The divergent point in Star Trek was 1990, when they had the genetic supermen rising up against the people.

The divergent point in B5 is about thirty-one hundred years in our future, where a bunch of fat aristocrats with funny hair show up and tell us that we're their lost colony.

Who knows?
smile.gif

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

"Submarine spaceship" that is a description of the Excalibur. Enterprise is not ripping off B5LR but Crusade. It is hard to rip off something they have not seen like the Rangers but easy to rip off a JMS show from 2 to 3 years ago.

In the pilot 'A Call to Arms' Excalibur was a brand new ship that had engine trouble. In the series Captain Gideon was definitely unconventional. There are a few other similarities as well. The rest sounds like a retread from Star Trek : The Original Series.

I wonder how long before the crew of the Enterprise have to save Earth from the super virus?

As has been said before, the big differences are that the Liandra is a 20 year old rust bucket where as the Enterprise is the brand new flagship. The crew of the Enterprise will be official heroes of Earth where as the crew of the Liandra are in disgrace.

There are sufficient differences to defend Rangers against a charge of being a copy whilst showing Enterprise is a copy of Crusade.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

It sounds like the similarity issue is a lot more important than I thought it was. Did the whole DS9 thing hurt B5's ratings throughout its time? Or did it just make B5 much harder to launch as a series?

I sincerely hope that the similarities between "Enterprise" and "Rangers" will be minimal and get even smaller as time goes on. It's absolutely unreasonable that someone has to go through all of this AGAIN. I can see how JMS's patience is really being tested by all of this.
crazy.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

It is certainly a fact that Paramount had the outline for Babylon 5 in their files for six months. Whether they looked at it is a moot point. However, it does seem extraordinary that they came out with DS9 two months before Babylon 5. They then put a lot of effort in to disparaging B5 as a cheap copy of DS9.
shocked.gif

It is also true that there is a basic similarity between Enterprise and Rangers. Whether it will affect the Rangers series is not known. After all Enterprise starts in mid September and after three months it should be pretty easy to tell whether there will be a problem.

------------------

GKarsEye, trust me, I wasn't talking about Dylan! He and his 'crew' I feel most concerned for.

Besides... have you seen a picture of the man? He's a babe!
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

I was just commenting on how nit-pickish we are, and trust me - I include myself in that 110%.

I was mostly referring to all these "Babylon 5 is better than sliced bread" threads. Erm... I think I may have 'gone off' in the wrong place!
laugh.gif
That'll teach me to do a thirteen hour shift at a hospital, then come home and take my frustrations out in cyberspace!
crazy.gif
blush.gif

My mother said to me when I was young - "Cath, remember these words: Keep your mouth closed, because young lady, you will get yourself into lots of trouble."

BTW GKarsEye... *whispers* I won't tell anyone we agree!
wink.gif

Just let me at those Sci-Fi Execs!
tongue.gif

------------------
"Officially, I'm a P5. Unofficially, my range is more... much more."

[This message has been edited by Catheryn (edited September 04, 2001).]

Okay okay... I am appropriately humbled... *throws self on the ground and gives up
laugh.gif

I was WRONG! *shudders* I must have drank too much red cordial!!

Bakana, thanks for the additional information. I will execute the friend who sent me the quote via e-mail from the mag that JMS was interviewed in.

I can understand now, considering it was apparently the crew who did the clever graphics, and I suppose there is something amusingly ironic about the insults being written in Minbari!
crazy.gif
smile.gif
I can definately empathise with the crew, I've lost jobs and been none to pleased.

And if I were to stretch myself I could even understand JMS making snide remarks about Star Trek. I admittedly didn't like them, but also admittedly now and again thought he actually had a point!

I love the idea JMS is a self-confessed fanboy. I never knew that. Gods help us!

Now that I have been appropriately humbled today, I shall go climb into a box and flagilate myself! *laughs*

Thanks again! *mental note... tip out red cordial*

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back