• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dylan Neal is the first.......

channe

Regular
I'll definitely be watching. I saw "Kung Fu" on it's first run (what was it, six to eight years ago?) and this episode rings a bell. I don't remember Dylan being in it, but then again, it was six to eight years ago.

It'll be neat to see everyone's favorite Ranger captain in action.

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 09, 2001).]

Wow, talk about a flashback. I remember watching that show with my Dad. Caine, also known as Shaolin Kirk!

"Come ... to ... Chinatown ... I .. will ... help ... you."

I can actually hear the "flashback music".

Mind you, I can't say I remember the episode with Neal. I have watched Dawson's Creek, so I've seen Deputy Doug. I have to admit, some of his exchanges with Pacey (Joshua Jackson) are pretty funny.

Admiral Dave

------------------

I never watched "The Legend Continues" but I was a huge fan of the original show back in the 70s. The show was developed for and by Bruce Lee then WB, in one of their many brilliant moments, screwed him over and put an American in the role of Kwai-Chang Kane.

"If. I. Squint. A lot. I look. Almost. Chinese."

Not to mention he had zero fighting skills back then. He's taken a bit of Tai Chi in the past 30 years, but he ain't no Bruce Lee.

------------------
By Grabthar's Hammer!
By the Suns of Worvan!
You Shall BE AVENGED!
~Doctor Lazarus, Galaxy Quest episode 52, "Today is the Tomorrow of Our Yesterdays"

I understand David Carradine did one of the smarter things of his career way back when the origianl Kung Fu was cancelled.
He Bought the rights to the show.
The studio thought the rights to a "failed" show would never be worth anything, so they took his money.

Then, along came Cable networks...

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Can't say I'm overly pleased with this new "eye on actors" feature, in fact I'm debating about asking Antony to take me off the list. This show is a prime example of why I would rather not have old work (I did that episode in '92) spotlighted. It's one thing to spot an actors early work by pure chance while flipping channels late at night and having a good laugh, it's another to have a beacon shining the way to these obscure and invariably poor performances...

I realise others will say "you're an actor tough s@#$! Embarrassment goes with the career you chose..." etc., etc. And I would agree with that, except for the beacon lighting the way part.

Just my two cents.

Dylan

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
Can't say I'm overly pleased with this new "eye on actors" feature, in fact I'm debating about asking Antony to take me off the list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What makes you think you have any say in the matter? You're ours now! *laughs maniacly*

Seriously, though, this will only get worse if the series goes and you start to build up a personal fanbase. People won't stop until they have every frame you're in on tape... At the very least, they should be able to follow your continual improvement, highlighting your dedication to your craft (right?
wink.gif
).

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited November 09, 2001).]

And just to ad, I don't think Antony has anything to do with the list - It covers all B5 regulars (and some notable guest stars), and appears regularly in the Zocalo.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
I don't think Antony has anything to do with the list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ahhh... I hadn't seen the front page news update when I made that post. Still, the list shows up several places, and having Antony censor it only goes so far...

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited November 09, 2001).]

Drakh is right, Dylan.

While only the wackos will get every single frame of your previous performances on tape, you have, by accepting a role on a media SF series... well, let me put it like I've heard they put it to the Trek actors: "You have entered unto a world you will only exit upon death."

I'm a writer. Someday, when I make it in the world, and am the second Stephen King, I'll have people hunting down the stuff I've sold to magazines, journals, and tiny poetry presses within the past year.

I'm not going to say "you're an actor, tough noogies," because I'd rather not have people tracking down some of the stuff I've written for pay even today. I'd be embarrassed as hell for them to find it.

But, if I make it, as you seem to be very quickly doing, it'll happen!

And keep in mind that the good 85% of fans who read that list don't go out and make it a point to see the actors in their previous roles. I've done it twice in two years.

Welcome to the world of SF, where most of us will like you anyway.
smile.gif

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> ... like I've heard they put it to the Trek actors: "You have entered unto a world you will only exit upon death." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Channe, the Los Angeles Science Fiction Society has a slightly Different motto:
"Even Death will not release you!"

It's written into their bylaws.
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

of the B5LR actors to make it onto the prestigious "B5 Actors on TV" list. The list is circulated around care of Ranger Fredrica and usually contains all B5 Actor appearances within the next week or so.

So, Dylan Neal, this is your life!
Dylan Neal ( David Martel )

Kung Fu: The Legend Continues
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
60 min.
Peter's investigation into the disappearance of one of Caine's students leads to a white-slavery ring.

Reardon: Dylan Neal. Maurice: Roland Hewgill. Velasco: Alan C. Peterson. Caldrin: Ray Baker. Carol: Tamara Bernier. Blaisdell: Robert Lansing.

Category: Crime Drama

Show times
Date Time Channel
Monday, 19 4:00 PM EST TNT

So Dylan, did you get to spend any time with the late Robert Lansing? I was a big fan of his, both as "Control" and "Mister Seven".

------------------
By Grabthar's Hammer!
By the Suns of Worvan!
You Shall BE AVENGED!
~Doctor Lazarus, Galaxy Quest episode 52, "Today is the Tomorrow of Our Yesterdays"

[This message has been edited by B5_Obsessed (edited November 09, 2001).]

The original "Kung Fu" series concept was deleveloped by the martial arts expert and philosopher, the late "Bruce Lee"...

He lost out the role to caucasian actor "David Carridine" because the Network at the time thought that "Bruce Lee" looked too Asian! (Too Chinese)

What a big mistake that was!

Cheers! -Warren- "Kit"
crazy.gif

------------------

Dylan, I happen to agree with you.

Fandom is great, being a fan is interesting, but at times it can be a pathetic and embarressing thing. Geek is sexy, but then you get GEEK... which is just scary!

The past is the past, and only a moron will judge you by any performance (poor or otherwise) from way back when.

But, as others have mentioned, it will happen, and some person who gives sci-fi fans a bad name will big note him or herself by dragging it up and getting all smart arsish about it. It's sad, but as my peers have warned you... unavoidable.

I loathe "Dawnson's a Freak..."
blush.gif
sorry, "Dawnson's Creek", but do admit I watched it a couple of times because of YOU. I off course could never have guessed you'd enter the sci-fi hall of fame. It was just a perve thing, you're cute, what can I say! The show is teenage angst rubbish, but some of the actors in it are really very talented. You're one of them.

Don't worry, there are those of us here who are interested in your past accomplishments, but not obsessed with them, nor do we seek to judge you by what you were, when WHO you are now is really all that matters in life.

The spotlight for past shows IS a bad idea - I mean, come on guys, who likes to look at their old yearbook or have their mother flash baby photo's?

On the other hand, it would be interesting to have a spotlight that shows you in more contemporary rolls - ie 1999 to current.

I shall now raise my force fields to deflect all of the Pak'mara vomit, and rotten spoo and flarn, because no doubt I have upset someone.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
Sarah Cantrell: "Today is a good day to die."
David Martel: "Oh for you any day is a good day to die!"

Oh please, the Kung Fu show was pathetic. Even if the old one is tolerable, the new one definitely isn't. The one where Caine has a son in LA I think.

I grew up on Chinese movies and series where characters that routinely fly around and throw fireballs at each other is considered the norm of a good Kung Fu serial. In Kung Fu: The legend contiues, the footwork and martial arts were SO DAMN SLOW!!! Nothing comapred to Burce Lee in the Green Hornet. By the Gods, that was the most racist of times in America I think. The sixties and seventies if not mistaken. A real pity Bruce Lee was never casted in the role. Maybe doing the show would relieve stress for him and he wouldn't have worked himself to death doing Game of Death.

Hey Anthony!!! Mayhaps we should remove that eye on actors thingy. A little too overexposing our current heroes whom we may not even know are good actors yet.

OK, please don't flame me for saying this but I've never seen you, Dylan in action before. Never seen Dawson's Creek nor any of your old shows. What I'm saying is that fans shouldn't get so worked up over an actor they've not even see before.
blush.gif

Again, I beg your forgiveness Dylan, and any cast of B5:LR. I respect your acting capabilities but reserve judgement until I finally see you in B5:LR.

Good luck to you guys. To all of us I think in the hopes that B5:LR surpasses our wildest dreams.

------------------
May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

I guess I fall into the "just a little bit crazy fan" category or something...
blush.gif

I find it somewhat interesting to know what past projects an actor who for some reason interests me has been in - I don't go out of my way to search out those past projects, but sometimes I remember the name of that past project and if it happens to catch my eye in the TV Guide, if I'm bored, if it sounds at least halfway interesting and if nothing else is on that I want to watch, then I have occasionally watched something just before a certain actor is in it.

Since I really don't watch TV that much (and go to the movies about once a month at the most), I mainly base my viewing decisions on two things - I watch either something that really sounds interesting to me, or I watch something because I like the cast, or someone in the cast.

Therefore I have mixed feelings about such an "eye on the actors" thing.

I can understand why some actors might not want to draw people's attention to some early roles.
laugh.gif
OTOH, lists like that have made me aware of a couple of movies/shows that I wouldn't have cared/known about otherwise - but after seeing them, have been glad to find out about, and not just because of the featured actor but because they have proved to be rather good.
smile.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

Well, I don't know how much attention Dylan and Warren and the other cast members have drawn from the movie-viewing public at large, but I do know they've drawn the attention of B5 fans, and to me, that's not all that bad.
smile.gif

------------------
The Whitestar Salad Bar, the galaxy's best place for parties.

I never saw the original Kung Fu - but they put a Caucasian actor in the Bruce Lee role? A role meant for BRUCE LEE? *The* Bruce Lee?

*shakes her head* What is this world coming to?

My roommates adore Dawson's Creek (personally, I don't care for it). They're not sci-fi fans, but they're going to watch Rangers because you're in it, Dylan. I don't know how that would make you feel, but there's the fact.
smile.gif

They, like the rest of us, know that what you do in the past generally pales in comparison to what you do in the future. That goes with work, schoolwork, etc. That's the way of things. They're not SF fans, but they'll assume that something you did back in '92 is going to probably be worse than something you did ten years later. Most of the world is going to assume that.

Then, there's the other 10%, who are just wacko and give the rest of the fan world a *really* bad name.

But, I have to agree, in the end, with the eye on actors thing. The last thing I'd want is for someone to take out the article I wrote last summer for a magazine that will remain nameless and wave it around, saying, "Look! Look at what she did!"

Shudder.

SataiDelenn - in the course of our lifetimes, we will upset people by speaking our minds. The important thing is that we do, and continue to do, because if we don't, we'll end up at the end of our lives without having said anything meaningful at all.

------------------
-Aeschylus

If I'm in the house, I still might watch, though. I'm just interested, especially since it was a show I watched regularly... eight years ago. I wonder how my perception of it has changed since then.

*shakes her head* They shoved out Bruce Lee... that is just horrid.

Warren, I heard from somewhere that Kitaro joins David in a fight scene...?

------------------
-Aeschylus

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 10, 2001).]

Kribu, I'm like you in that respect. I often seek out films actors I enjoy are in. I love Carrie Fisher, for example, and have seen everything she's done... and there are some stinkers!
shocked.gif

But like me, you don't strike me as the sort of person who is going to hold a bad performance or a bad film against that actor.

I've met some fans in the past who won't even watch something because "he's in it" or "she's in it" and "they did that dreadful... (insert film/show here).

Bonkers!!
crazy.gif

I doubt there is anyone like that here, but I do understand Dylan's "*groan* give me a break!"

Channe and Angel, as ever, you make perfect sense! And Channe, you're right. If we don't speak out, what's the point! I'd rather be a person with an opinion, than one without!

smile.gif

------------------
Sarah Cantrell: "Today is a good day to die."
David Martel: "Oh for you any day is a good day to die!"

Past performance should serve as a benchmark anwyay. I mean, it only serves to see how Dylan and the rest have progressed throughout their acting careers. Even then we should never judge an acting performance even if he has one 10 Oscars and 20 emmys. Because if the director is lousy, the actor is screwed.

David Carridine sucked as Caine. The guy was a dancer when he acted in Kung Fu. Although now I believe he has earned a black belt in karate. But to shove Bruce Lee aside in favor of David?
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Serves to show how hypocratic America makes itself to be when they claim to be the most free country in the world.

------------------
May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back