• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVD continues to sell well

Just checked Amazon.com and the DVD is still rated #110 in sales rank... for comparison, Planet of the Apes is #55 and Star Wars Eipsode 1 is #18. I think it's holding up pretty well for a pilot and a made for TV movie!

I got my copy for Christmas and I must say, I'm extremely happy with the quality, both audio and video. I was especially impressed with "The Gathering." The picture quality and CGI was far superior to what I expected... it was easy to see that this was the remastered version. It looked as good, if not better, than any other DVD's I've seen. I actually felt the picture quality of the Gathering was better than ITB. I didn't see any of the artifacts previously mentioned by a few folks. And the sound quality of both, while not DD or DTS, was exceptional, especially in the bass reproduction. FYI, I have a 35" Sony XBR monitor, with a 100W x 5 Sony DD receiver and DVD player (SVHS connection), pushed through a set of Klipsch speakers and subwoofer.

I think that the value was exceptional. IMHO, to get two complete movies for less than $15, in this quality, is a steal. Using this format, they could easily put four episodes on a single two-sided disc, with an entire season of 22 episodes on six discs, and an extra two hours of interviews, outtakes, etc. for that season on the first or last disc. If the pricing stayed the same, the cost would be less than $90 per season. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd jump at that in a heartbeat. If they could sell anywhere close to the current DVD, that would amount to a lot of cash for WB. Let's just hope the beancounters figure it out.

Just think, Severed Dreams and Sleeping in Light on DVD with excellent sound... my debit card is burning a hole in my pocket!
cool.gif

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

[This message has been edited by wipster (edited January 08, 2002).]

I just checked over at Amazon and noticed that they are offering it in one of those "Great Buys" of theirs. If you buy it along with "Star Trek - The Motion Picture" then you save $11.00. Also, I noticed if I rated the DVD, then that "Great Buy" option disappeared.

Interesting that they paired it with the original ST movie. Wonder if that helps it any? Is there any other DVD you would pair it with instead?

[Edit note: The sales rank dropped to 130 while I posted this]

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
"Ah, you seek meaning?" ~ "Yes." ~ "Then listen to the music, not the song." —Ambassador Kosh & Talia Winters

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 08, 2002).]

That's weird... when I was there, they paired me with a Farscape DVD (which BTW was 335 in sales). Don't know why they chose Farscape for me, as I've never even watched one LOL!
laugh.gif

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

Ooh ... how sneaky of Amazon! Figures they would make use of their cookies and customer data in new and evil ways.
wink.gif
Still, I find it curious they picked the original ST movie since I have never indicated interest (in fact, I never liked it).

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
"Ah, you seek meaning?" ~ "Yes." ~ "Then listen to the music, not the song." —Ambassador Kosh & Talia Winters

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 08, 2002).]

Well, they are not offering it together with anything else at all to me.
lol.gif

I noticed though that Amazon is no longer listing the disk as possible RCE (they had that in the information before, I seem to remember).

I assume that means they have verified that it's not RCE, which of course I knew by now.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

Back