• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVD Actor Commentaries

Last weekend I watched the commentaries for Points of Departure, and I have to agree with all the above comments.
BB seems to have "done his homework" and did have som interesting things to say, if he only could have gotten a word in between JDs babblings! CC was in between, IMHO, not very good, but not obrusive either. It got a bit better towards the end, but... :(

I would have loved to see a commentary with BB on his own, or perhaps with ... hmmm ... Katsulas or Jurasik or perhaps one of the producers.

/IamS

Yeah Peter seemed to have some interesting things to say too. It's funny this, I only started watching B5 a couple of months ago. I have loads of Star Trek stuff on DVD and when you get the actors talking about Star Trek, they seem to be trying to forget it - or infact they dont care. Listening to BB on the commentries is very refreshing, someone who didnt see it as a job or a joke, someone who enjoyed it and seemed to have real enthusiam about it.

I think I felt screwed by shouting at the screen when my heroes of youth said something wrong about Star Trek...

Oh and BB did say in the Geometry of Shadows commentry that he wished it was still going and it should still be going...

Jerry wasn\'t that bad

I had this thread in mind while watching the commentary on "Falling Toward Apotheosis". I do not share your impression of Jerry on that commentary. To me, Pat and Peter were at least as noisy.
It seemed to me that there were some edits in the commentary. Why did they suddenly go silent?
<paranoid>Perhaps they edited out the worst parts for region 2 DVD?</paranoid>

I enjoyed the commentaries for what we get. But I do aggree that the actors should watch it through before starting the commentary, and that Bruce seems to know more than the rest of them.

I also think that pairing Joe up with directors and actors for commentaries is good. The commentary on The Face of the Enemy was good, although it was heavy on the bar fight.

I liked the commentaries for Black Hawk Down, since there were multiple tracks. You could listen to the writer, director, or even the real special forces guys saying "This really happened," or "That's not really how it was done". Maybe something to do for "Crusade". While listening to Joe commenting an episode, you could press the Audio button and hear cast members or JPL scientists commenting the same scene. Just an idea.

Re: Jerry wasn\'t that bad

Hey, I love Jerry Doyle. I think he'd be a lot of fun to be around, and to watch the show with. It's just that Bruce was trying to tell us something and Jerry was having a real good time.

I didn't want Jerry, Pat and Peter to shut up. Their fond remembrances are part of the fun of the commentaries. I just wanted them to let Bruce finish an entire thought.

Post by Flounder:
Why did they suddenly go silent?

I seem to remember that they would go silent in their commentary when Delenn was speaking, and then they laughed and said they did the same thing when Mira was speaking on the set. :D

No my dear good friend Tarondor. Jerry Was that bad when you listen the commentaries. He likes his own voice too much. :mad:

No my dear good friend Tarondor. Jerry Was that bad when you listen the commentaries. He likes his own voice too much. :mad:
I wouldn't say he was all that [Doyle interrupts] Hey, look at those divits in my head! Ain't they sumpthin'? Boy, I think I'll talk about them for the next twenty minutes....

I thought Jerry was funny. I loved the bit about Ulkesh being Doug Netter. You gotta remember, to these people, Babylon 5 is like watching home movies, all they can do is look at their hair, their eyebrows, etc. and laugh. It's a testament to their friendship. If these people weren't so close, we wouldn't get such spirited commentary. Yes, Bruce did try to analyze, but he was usually so far off, I think Jerry was doing him a favor sometimes by changing the conversation. Remember, they're not brain surgeons, they're just actors.

{snip} Remember, they're not brain surgeons, they're just actors.
They are actor who have not read the script.

In "Passing through Gethsemane" Pat Tallman was only given the scenes she was in. BB does not know his lines - see the Season 4 commentary about having his next line printed on Delenn's head bone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back