• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dulann?

I was reading through the summary for the B5 episode "Moments of Transition", and noticed that one of Delenn's rebuilt Grey council is named Dulann.

According to that episode, Dulann is worker caste - and if I'm not mistaken, we've never seen any worker caste as speaking characters, have we?

Anyway, I was wondering if this is supposed to be the same character. Knowing JMS, probably.

I'm still disappointed in the character names, though - too many of them sound exactly like already existing character names.

------------------
Joe Siegler
Webmaster - 3D Realms

well i saw delenn rebuild the grey council and added worker cast...also there was a discrepancy wasn't there that in the begining doesn't lenier say that there are 2 casts, and later on in the show there are 3?

------------------
War doesn't determine who is right, just who is left.

Yeah, i was wondering too that why in the series there wasn't nearly nothing about workercast. Always warrior and religious.
But maybe we now learn more about them when the LotR comes out.
smile.gif

------------------
We live for the One, we die for the One

[This message has been edited by Mr Excalibur (edited July 11, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Excalibur:
Always warrior and religious.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. I think JMS probably wanted it that way. The worker caste was always caught in the middle of the religious and warrior caste. They were always the ones who were left out.

------------------
"Good evening my friends. I thought you should know--today has been a very good day."

Lennier did say that there were only two caste's, but it's been explained away as just a further bit of evidence as to how much the Religious and Warrior overlooked the Worker caste. Much like the scene from the Life of Brian, where they talk about how the Romans had never done anything for Isreal expect for education, sanitation, law enforcement, irrigation, contruction projects, etc etc etc. The Worker caste had been so ignored, even other Minbari sometimes do not acknowledge thier presence.

By the way, couldn't we use the "same old name" argument for human character names too? Ex= John Sheridan and John Matheson, John Sheridan's sister and first wife were both named Elizabeth; David Sheridan is both Sheridan's father and son, etc. Dulann might just be the Minbari "John Smith"

------------------
-Devin Barber

My understand is that it it was originally two castes at the time Lennier said it, then JMS decided to add the worker. It was later explained that Lennier only mentioned the two castes because they have been at odds traditionally and do not pay much attention to the worker caste, as someone pointed out here.

It is interesting to note that b5tech.com
(which isn't canon) says that in Minbari ancient history, when they were still nomadic, it was the worker and warrior caste who competed for control until the establishment of major cities.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

When Sinclair is first on Minbar the only worker class who will even glance his eyes up from the ground and to his face spent time as a kid on Earth.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

I don't know how reliable/canon the B5 - CCG is but one of the cards shows a worker caste Satai called Durlan.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rashenn (edited July 24, 2001).]

Good point. The CCG cards are usually very reliable... and you can hear the difference in pronounciation in the episode where the new Grey Council gets formed. To me it sounds more like Durlan than Dulann.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

I've just watched 'Moments of Transition' again and it does sound like Durlan.
Speaking of the Worker caste and discrepancies... I noticed something odd when I read 'In the Beginning' and 'To dream in the city of sorrows'
I'll add a spoiler space just in case someone hasn't read them
smile.gif

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Lennon says in 'ItB' - before the Earth-Minbari war - that the Rangers draw their members from all 3 castes. Inesval however, says in 'TDitCoS' that the Anlashok had been closed to the Workers for a 1000 years until Sinclair joined the Rangers</font></td></tr></table>

So... who is right? Peter David or Kathryn Drennan? Just wondering...
smile.gif

------------------

Was the line ever uttered in the movie? I can't remember.

If it's only in the book (In the Beginning), then I'd vote for Drennan being right, although, as it has been noted, TDitCoS is not considered 100% canon.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's bad luck to die on an empty stomach."
- G'Kar, "In the Kingdom of the Blind"

It's a line that didn't make it to the movie - I've checked the tape.
So Drennan is (probably) right after all.
smile.gif

Thanks for the warning about the book - I thought it was completely canon to the series
(just like the other books)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rashenn (edited July 25, 2001).]

Of course, since ItB - both the movie and the book - was made after TDitCoS, it's also possible that it was one of the things JMS later changed his mind about.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's bad luck to die on an empty stomach."
- G'Kar, "In the Kingdom of the Blind"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sassy:
well i saw delenn rebuild the grey council and added worker cast...also there was a discrepancy wasn't there that in the begining doesn't lenier say that there are 2 casts, and later on in the show there are 3?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes he did. I am convinced that JMS SIMPLY CHANGED HIS MIND. Let's face it, he has gotten his own years wrong in the past, its a lot of detail to remember! I doubt he forgot about the 2 casts, he just decided to make it 3 and to have 3 an important number to Minbari.

Explaining that the worker caste was "left out" is like explaining how Klingons went from guys with big eybrows to the modern Kingon we see today. You can make up explanations if you'd like. But I'm pretty sure JMS simply changed his mind.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited July 25, 2001).]

With Valen and the worker caste I thought that he brought the worker caste into the rangers 1000 years ago and then some time after that the worker caste stopped being part of teh rangers..until 1000 years later when Sinclair goes to Minbar and becomes ranger one and then allows the worker caste to join teh rangers again..

Unless I am just got my facts all confused again..

Somtiems I cannot tell teh difference between my past dreams and my past real life .

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back