• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Direct to DVD

westtim

Beyond the rim
I believe that this is the only way any new B5 project can generate a profit. I doubt highly a theatrical movie. The market will not support such a project. Also the DVD sales provide a solid consumer base for a direct to DVD project.

Not as bad as you may think. See the latest news from JMS about the possibility of two upcoming B5 projects.

I believe that this is the only way any new B5 project can generate a profit. I doubt highly a theatrical movie. The market will not support such a project. Also the DVD sales provide a solid consumer base for a direct to DVD project.

Except for Disney, straight-to-DVD films do not sell a lot, which is why most of them have tiny production budgets. High selling DVDs like Highlander: Endgame, Equilibrium, Donnie Darko, and Below actually had theatrical release, although all four were on a limited (300 screens or less) basis. Others have been cable or television movies (like the TNT and SciFi movies). Yet, that limited exposure helped to create a core audience to boost interest and thus sales.

However, my guess is that given the recent interest in television and comic genre by the studios, something bigger than a 300 screen release would be considered. I mean, if a movie based on park ride (Pirates of the Caribbean) can gross more than $200 million in the box office, I think a medium-range Babylon 5 movie is a possiblilty.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back