• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Did Franklin do the right thing in "Believers"?

Re: Did Franklin do the right thing in "Believers"?

It's a very interesting discussion, and episode as well.

I'm just glad I live in a country where parental rights are limited when minor children are concerned. Minor Jehovah's witness children, for example, are guaranteed treatment by the government, even if it means taking them away from their parents permanently. Ditto Christian Scientists. Adults can do what they like, but not to kids, even their own kids. Denying medical treatment to a minor child on religious grounds can result, and has resulted, in convictions for second-degree murder.

Still, I'm well aware that this logic doesn't fully apply to another species. I wouldn't apply it fully to other humans, as I think that people who would deny their loved ones the best care on religious grounds deserve to lose their kids. The less such people breed the better.

I don't know if there was a "right" choice, but there was sound logic to using the telepaths to help fight Clark: if they didn't liberate Earth, Franklin would most likely not ever regain access to resources needed to help free the telepaths from the Shadow technology they had been implated with.

Yes Franklin chose to sacrifice several telepaths in order to prevent the killing of thousands of civilians by Clark's campaign.Kosh, who appeared as G'Kar's father said in "Dust To Dust":"Some of us must be sacrificed if all are to be saved".Well said, Kosh!

Interesting thread, by the way. Excellent question, as it comes up all of the time.

One thing that comes to my mind here is that not all cultures see children as being the property of their biological parents. The whole "it takes a villiage to raise a child" was basically taken (is basically taken) quite literally in some cultures around the world.

So yes, I think when it comes to children, parents have no right to act as if they are property or pets. If a child could get away, think rationally, and request assistance, that would be another matter entirely.

As far as the aliens go: odds are in order to bring them into any kind of alliance we'd have to allow them to exercise whatever laws they see fit, like it or not. Would it be right to interfere? I'll sidestep the question by saying "it doesn't matter what we think, if we want ANY contact or alliance with this group".

Just look at how we turn our back on much of what China does. And they are our own species, yet to make things work at all countries pretty much have decided that China must be relatively "untouchable". Same goes with the USA, I'd argue: many countries would love to (or have loved to) intercede with some of our global decisions, but who felt they could survive doing so?

That's the beauty of the story (which so many people hate, I know): there is no quick and clear right-or-wrong answer, in my opinion. That's what makes it an even slightly interesting episode, for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back