• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

details that screwed up the movie (SPOILERS)

Im not the number one fan of this movie in particular, but I wont knock it cuz its B5.

But there were some things that ticked me off a bit...

1. The animators used Maya instead of Lightwave for ship animations. Maya is usually only used to make characters (Jar Jar, and other fools). Lightwave is da ship stuff.

2. The maint bots on Minbar are the same kind from B5. I doubt the working caste of Minbar would let Earthlings take their work.

3. The Valen is named after the Minbaris best leader, yet they let earthlings design it (with engines that arent needed since Minbari use gravimetric engines)

4. The maint bots seem huge compared to the Liandra. This would make one believe that the Liandra is small. So it, not the whitestars would in turn be the smallest ship able to make a jumpoint. But keep in mind that the ship is 20 years old.

5. A race stronger than the Shadows?? Ok it took a few seasons for the peeps in B5 to beat the shadows. How can they beat a race even stronger, in less than 3 seasons (when crusade starts).

6. If the Rangers are trained in almsot all known martial arts, then why did the Captain have trouble beatin up that alien?

All this made me angry. It made t he rangers seem more watered down than how they were portayed in the series. The characters even pronounced An'La Shok wrong
mad.gif

------------------

As to number 6 - That caused me pause also, but then again I didn't recognize that alien. It's possible it was extremely strong.

Re: The Hand Yes, I groaned. Not another Super-Evil. How the heck can this even work? But I'll reserve judgement - *only* because it's JMS.

------------------
Sorry - life got fun and interfered with my plans to be diligent.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danny_in_space:
3. The Valen is named after the Minbaris best leader, yet they let earthlings design it (with engines that arent needed since Minbari use gravimetric engines)

5. A race stronger than the Shadows?? Ok it took a few seasons for the peeps in B5 to beat the shadows. How can they beat a race even stronger, in less than 3 seasons (when crusade starts).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3. Yeah well another name that ended in "za" "lann" or "nier" would of been the end of me too.

5. Is it that hard to have a race stronger than shadows? I mean really, the Shadows were just spiders that popped out every thousand years and got rid of a few races. They wanted to make the universe stronger, smarter and better while another race equal to the Shadows in tech. may be worse because instead of bettering the universe they may want to exterminate the universe. I just hope they're not the 3rdSpace Aliens.

------------------
"Ink on a page!" -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
"Life is life, whether it's wrapped in skin, scales or feathers." -Dr. Franklin

Ok, I look at the Rangers not being so Uber-hardcore in a positive way. Look at it this way. The Rangers of the series era were a far smaller, leaner and meaner unit. After given the law enforcement job for the entire Alliance it stands to reason that they've had to undergo a MASSIVE expansion in a short time. Invariably, when this happens, training suffers. Think of the United States airborne, during the Second World War the airborne was an 'elite' force going into the Normandy invasion. However, as the war continued replacements needed to fill KIA slots brought less experienced, less well trained forces onto the line.

------------------

If that first post sounded super angry and stuff, my bad.

The movie was good for a pilot, way better than the Gathering, yet not quite A Call to Arms.

With a higher budget and a lil more attetion to details, the show might actually go somewhere

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 1. The animators used Maya instead of Lightwave for ship animations. Maya is usually only used to make characters (Jar Jar, and other fools). Lightwave is da ship stuff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats actually quite untrue... maya is indeed *not* just used for character animations, although that is one of its best features and well known uses

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Also, I don't know if it was so much his training as that Naroon was just a lot more experienced. I think they're stronger too.

------------------
No choice, no choice at all.

As for the maintenance bots... I'd have to see them. I wonder how soon screenshots start popping up on the net... and whether the Lurker's Guide will do a synopsis of the movie.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>They wanted to make the universe stronger, smarter and better while another race equal to the Shadows <snip> may want to exterminate the universe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very adequate point. The Shadows never tried to destroy. They just wanted to cause chaos and evolution, to retreat and let the wounds heal again.

The Hand may be old. They may be technically advanced. Possibly comparable to the Shadows. What may make them worse is their attitude. Instead of shaking things up, they may want to conquer and control. They do not view themselves as teachers or guardians. No matter how flawed, the Shadows considered themselves guardians.

My opinion is: the Hand is an introductory plot device. Their job will be done in a few episodes. The series will be about rebuilding, not fighting another ancient enemy.

I may be wrong, but this is what I suspect.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 20, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If the Rangers are trained in almsot all known martial arts, then why did the Captain have trouble beatin up that alien?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Others too can be trained in martial arts.
smile.gif

Having the Rangers unbeatable would be silly. It would be natural for any Human, no matter how trained, to have trouble with beating up a Minbari or Narn. This alien might be comparable, if not stronger.

Marcus Cole had excellent skills with the fighting pike, yet he got beaten into pulp by Alyt Neroon. Ranger training proved to be worthless against warrior caste training.

No. This detail is natural, not annoying.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 4. The maint bots seem huge compared to the Liandra. This would make one believe that the Liandra is small. So it, not the whitestars would in turn be the smallest ship able to make a jumpoint. But keep in mind that the ship is 20 years old.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was in the Navy our aircraft carrier used to go into the shipyards every couple of years for upgrades.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> The Liandra may not have had the ability to make a jump point when first made. Jump engines could have been added in a later upgrade. Details can be explained in more detail if B5LR hopefully goes to a series.
laugh.gif
</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Remember dear readers, you heard it here first. Off the record, on the Q.T., and very hush-hush - Danny DeVito as Sid Hudgens in L.A. Confidential

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back