• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Desperate for Shadow Dancing

Ash

I had taped "Shadow Dancing" and watched it nearly ten times before accidentally taping over it. If anyone knows of anywhere I could get an Mpeg, Video, DVD, etc, could you please let me know??? Direct email is ok. I Love that ep. and SOOOO much want to see it again...

------------------
"You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word"

The whole series has been released on PAL video (two eps per tape) - since you're in Australia, you should be able to view that, right?

I don't know anything about the availability in Australian retail stores/rental places but if you have a credit card (or a friend with one), you could try ordering it, either from some Australian online store or a British one (such as http://www.choicesdirect.co.uk/ or http://www.blackstar.co.uk ). The shipping takes a while, of course, but if you're desperate enough...
smile.gif

The series has not been released on DVD yet, and I don't know of any MPEGs floating around.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

If you are truly desperate, there is one more possibility, but I would not recommend it and know next to nothing about its popularity in Australia.

You see, once upon a time, many episodes of Babylon 5 were released on a horrible abomination called "Laserdisc". Analog optical disks. Good for throwing, but very little protein. Zathras never get anything nice.
laugh.gif

Thus I would also recommend trying to find a tape. It will wear out by the time the DVD's (hopefully) arrive, but it's better than nothing.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

If you have a high bandwith net connection you might have some luck with Morpheus I think that urls correct. I have friend with cable modems and they have been able to get episodes of things far more obscure than B5.

------------------
As it is, such is life.

Hi! Thanks for your help Guys, esp. Kribu. I've got a bit a of a wait, but I'll have it on VHS soon enough!
smile.gif

------------------
"You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
You see, once upon a time, many episodes of Babylon 5 were released on a horrible abomination called "Laserdisc". Analog optical disks. Good for throwing, but very little protein. Zathras never get anything nice.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I have a one of each of those "abominations" that Image released, and they're great.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

There are many sources on the internet to find missing eps. I myself had quite a dilemma some time ago, where I had missed River of Souls and Thridspace. But after a suggestion from someone else I checked sites like kazaa or bearshare and even Mirc, and I have found everything I wanted and then some. Of course, as mentioned, a high bandwidth is a necessity, but it is well worth it.

Good Luck

------------------
"There are things in the Universe billions of years older than either of our races. They are vast, timeless and if they are aware of us at all, it is as little more than ants and we have as much chance of communicating with them as an ant has with us. We know. We've tried and we've learned that we can either stay out from underfoot or be stepped on."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Well, I have a one of each of those "abominations" that Image released, and they're great.
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From some aspects, yes.

1. Their picture quality is between a tape and a video CD.
2. Very little wear due to optical reading.

But there the good sides end.

They are analog -- and thus highly incompatible (and unlike tapes, they are also rare). Image quality is worse than a DVD, worse than an SVHS tape and worse than a properly manufactured Video-CD. Unless I'm severely mistaken, their sound quality it worse than that of a good tape.

As I said, good for throwing... but very little protein.
laugh.gif

------------------
-- Delenn

Hm... from what I've heard, laserdisks were a better medium than, say, a video-CD. I've understood that a laserdisk was almost comparable to DVD in picture quality and far surpassed a VCD.

The major drawback was the size and also the fact that a full-length movie could not fit onto one side of the disk.

Thus they're better quality-wise than either VHS or VCD (in which case the main plus is resistance to wear) but simply far more clumsy than DVD - and once DVDs hit the market with full force, the laserdisk was forced out.

Of course, I've never seen a laserdisk myself so that's just pure speculation.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ash:
I had taped "Shadow Dancing" and watched it nearly ten times before accidentally taping over it. If anyone knows of anywhere I could get an Mpeg, Video, DVD, etc, could you please let me know??? Direct email is ok. I Love that ep. and SOOOO much want to see it again...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You live in Auz? Target stocks B5 in quite good numbers. Every now and again they have a sale on and you can get a heep of vids for 10 buks. If blockbuster is stocking them you can often get them for five dollars.

------------------

There is a another solution. When I wanted copies of all the B5 eps - I hadn't bothered to record then, when they had been on air, I advertised in various papers. Someone had taped them [they weren't available on pre-recorded tapes at the time], and they were willing to let me borrow them for a week and dub them off. It was all quite legal as they had been recorded from broadcasts, not taken from a pre-recorded tape. I still have them. You could try advertising in papers, or even over this board - I live in NZ, so I can't really help you. I do have a copy of 'Shadowdancing', and would be willing to run you off a copy and post it, if you're really desperate, although I don't know if Australian VHS and Nz VHS play at the same speed. I know that the VHS speeds are different in NZ and the States.

-I've accidentally taped over stuff I've recorded to. Next time, take the tab out of the tape!-----------------

[This message has been edited by Bab5nutz (edited October 31, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> It was all quite legal as they had been recorded from broadcasts, not taken from a pre-recorded tape. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We beat the Copyright horse to DEATH a while back.
FWIW, this sort of copying is Still not Legal.
It's just that they can't really Do much except say "Stop Doing That!" unless Money changes hands.
Then, they can fine you according to the amount of money involved.
Or, if they feel like being real sh!ts about it, they can haul you into court until legal fees bankrupt you.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Well if your in Australia you will find it in almost any Target,Grace bros or Myers store even big w i think, its on the same tape as Z'ha'dum so highly worthwhile buying. its tape number 32 ,I hope thats of some help

Never watched those old laserdiscs but i remember they where about the size of a full length LP ,so really good for throwing..for the younger races I cant be bothered explaining what an LP is/was so ask Kosh!!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>so ask Kosh!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lennier: Tell me, what is an LP?
wink.gif

Kosh: Then the willows must scuttle carefully.
tongue.gif

------------------
-- Delenn

Back