• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dead Like ME

Love Deadwood, though it took me an episode or two to get into it (same with Rome. Carnivale had me hooked after the first episode, though.

They do seem to be taking pretty interesting artistic freedoms with Roman history, but as for Atia, there's very little known about her--so I imagine they're just fleshing stuff in as to what kind of Roman noble (female) she might be. I had a feeling from the start that they would be separating Pullo and Vorenus, though, since Vorenus ran off with Marc Anthony and we all know Pullo has a strong friendship with Octavian and will likely fight in his corner. Sad sad.... Poor Pullo, can't win for nothin!

What I recently learned about Carnivale is that the creator of Battlestar Galactica wrote more than a few Carnivale episodes. Found that very cool! Miss the show terribly, though I did hear rumors of the storyline continuing through novels or such. Not sure if anything came of that.

I recently rewatched DLM on the Scifi channel so I got to see the cleaned up versions but it was still enjoyable and I forgot what a fun little show it was. I was really looking forward to learning more about Rube and what made George so special in the afterlife. Even as much as Daisy annoyed me at first, I still found her character interesting.

I also really enjoyed Carnivale. And Firefily. Shoot, why do all the good ones die??

I recently rewatched DLM on the Scifi channel so I got to see the cleaned up versions
I haven't seen those "clean" versions, but ......

There were certain scenes in that show that I can't imagine working nearly as well with all of the "language" removed.

For example, the scene where Ray is explaining to George his line of reasoning about how and why men are pigs and women let them get away with it. It seems like the whole impact of that speech would be significantly altered if you take the F-bombs out of it.

In other places the swearing is directly the point of the following dialog (Reggie: "Gees, Mom. No need to drop the F-bomb."). The development of the Reggie-Joy relationship seems like it would take a hit if you took all of that out.

It's been a while since I have seen the clean versions but they definitely are not as good as the original ones. There were a few times where I remember thinking -- that is an odd edit or dub -- but for the most part I think it worked okay. Then again, I already knew the story and stuff that was cut or dubbed so maybe I am not the best judge. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back