• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusades Ratings

I can sign on to this page from my home computer (the email addy is not the same) can't I. I still prefer the email remaining this one (I spend more time on the puter here at work than I do at home).

Can I? If I have to sign up with a second name and stuff, I will.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Hey 4F, what is so good about Crusade to me was the pure potential it had. What you can piece together out of the TNT debacle is not as good as b5 as a whole but comparable to b5's first 13. What really gets some people excited is the unfilmed scripts which really set the story rolling. These were written after JMS became utterly fed up and ignored everything TNT said. How would you feel about b5 if they never got to Signs and Portents.

------------------
Bus
"Yes, he is handsome in an ugly sort of way."-Homer

Odd, but I never saw anyone give him the benefit of the doubt, and I just don't think that's fair. I've seen a lot of people that can get away with fighting an argument without using facts(drop by Flare sometime, look for Omega, and then tell me PoT is bad
laugh.gif
)
I think we should all just relax, and not really care unless he makes personal insults, otherwise he/she has a right to his oppinion, no matter how stupid you might think it is.

------------------
This short dewd in my pic scares me...

"I know what's in their budget to do at this moment, and I know they want to test the B5 waters in general with Rangers. I cannot imagine that, if the show does well, they wouldn't want to revisit Crusade."
jms

It's funny, but I've always assumed that the possibility of Sci-Fi Channel renewing Crusade depended on the ratings for the recent Crusade re-runs.

But now those ratings are in, jms has implied that the renewal depends on the ratings for LotR.

???

------------------
The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father
Trust the Corps

Well, the Crusade ratings would certainly be a factor. If the initial ratings were lousy, or if the ratings dropped steadily every single night than Sci-Fi would probably not even consider revisiting the series down the road.

As matters stand now, they have a pilot in production, which may become a series. If it does, of course they're going to want to see what kind of ratings that show draws before they commit to another series set in the same universe.

There was a certain amount of wishful thinking in fan circles (which JMS addresses in the message you took that excerpt from) that good Crusade ratings would lead to an immediate decision to put the show back into production. But, as JMS pointed out, TV doesn't work that way.

Also Crusade, overall, got the same ratings as the shows that aired in the 8 p.m. slot during the same period a year ago. This is good, because each adjusted rating point this year represents more households than a point last year. So the show either didn't lose ground or gained a little. But it didn't gain big. If Crusade had averaged a 1.2 instead of a 0.8, maybe Sci-Fi would have moved up its time-table.

As it is the show got good enough numbers to get past the first hurdle - it proved it has the potential to be a profitable series in a prime time slot on Sci-Fi.

Now it only has to get past five or six others (the issue of casting being the last and in many ways least important.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I consider the Crusade ratings to be nothing short of remarkable, personally. I mean, think about it: to anyone outside the relatively small circle of B5 fandom, Crusade is a dead show. Only those of us 'on the ins' have any idea that there might be a continuance. Only those of us on the ins know why the tone of the show varies so wildly, or why, in the SciFi airing, the uniforms keep changing back and forth.

And yet...Crusade got some of the best ratings for the channel for the weeks it aired, and, except for the drop-off on the very last episode (which I personally guessed would happen; I almost forgot that there was one more left) kept a pretty steady rating throughout. This wasn't just people hitting up one episode and turning away; this was people wanting to see the series.

I imagine JMS and SciFi have to be pretty damned encouraged about he prospects of B5LR, at this point, and about the possibility for bringing Crusade back. SciFi has to be able to recognize a potential franchise when they smell one...

Uncle Mikey

------------------

[This message has been edited by UncleMikey (edited May 19, 2001).]

I read on a website devoted to saving "Crusade" that another factor might help our cause. Like it or not, the old "Star Trek" reruns were bought by another station (I actually forget which one). Sci Fi is looking for a "franchise" of its own, and not being able to purchase ST meant a) they had more money to play with and b) they are still looking for a "franchise". Hmmm, kind of makes the B5 universe a little more appealing? Lets hope.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Sci-Fi lost a bidding war with The National Network (formerly "The Nashville Network") over the four Trek series. TNN ended up agreeing to pay something in excess of 300 million dollars over the next few years for those shows, as each becomes available when other contracts expire. (Although one wag suggested that TNN will get a partial rebate when the Voyager reruns start airing.
smile.gif
)

Sci-Fi was in the hunt right up to the end, so I'd say that SFC has a good-sized chunk of change suddenly available for series acquisition over the next few years. This certainly won't hurt the chances of Rangers or Crusade.

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Joe. I am still working on keeping Crusade on the table.

It's nice to see a little ray of sunshine after all that work. I will keep it up.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Sci-Fi lost a bidding war with The National Network (formerly "The Nashville Network") over the four Trek series. TNN ended up agreeing to pay something in excess of 300 million dollars over the next few years for those shows, as each becomes available when other contracts expire. (Although one wag suggested that TNN will get a partial rebate when the Voyager reruns start airing.
smile.gif
)

Sci-Fi was in the hunt right up to the end, so I'd say that SFC has a good-sized chunk of change suddenly available for series acquisition over the next few years. This certainly won't hurt the chances of Rangers or Crusade.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
As it is the show got good enough numbers to get past the first hurdle - it proved it has the potential to be a profitable series in a prime time slot on Sci-Fi.

Now it only has to get past five or six others (the issue of casting being the last and in many ways least important.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure you're right - Crusade still has a number of hurdles remaining.

But just how long will it take? Probably another year at least, considering jms's comment about the Rangers ratings. That will make it 3 years between seasons!!!!!

It got me to thinking....

Which show currently holds the record for the longest gap between seasons?

If Crusade is renewed after these 3 years, will the gap be written into the arc? Or will the new episodes take place shortly after the first season?

As for the casting, I would have thought it pretty important to get Gary Cole and Peter Woodward back at least. I can't imagine new Crusade episodes without Gideon or Galen returning (or with new actors in the roles!!!)

Crusade sure does have many hurdles remaining...

------------------
The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father
Trust the Corps

[This message has been edited by Bester (edited May 20, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back