• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade

In lieu of that, you could just try to hook some authoritarian world leader on the show.

"No, Kim Jong Il, I wasn't spying on your illegal nuke program, I was just smuggling these B5 DVDs into the country for you to watch. And I've never even met Parker and Stone. Honest..."

:)

He is a film fanatic. Don't know about TV. Do they have TV in North Korea? Can you have TV without electricity? :)

But he's had a couple of South Korean actors kidnapped and brought north to work for him, so you know he'll do whatever is necessary to keep himself entertained.

If Peter Woodward and Gary Cole suddenly drop out of sight, you'll know that phase one of my cunning plan is complete. :)

Regards,

Joe

He had some Japanese actors kidnapped, IIRC.

Okay, to make this work, we have to try and smuggle in some B5 DVDs, in such a way that he will catch them, and keep our fingers crossed. :LOL:

Then, there's the little problem of what his casting choices might be... :eek: :eek: :eek:

If it was made in the UK, it would be shot on one set, have CGI done by an 8 bit BBC micro, and star half the cast of The Bill.

Kind of makes me shudder...

or at the same time there could be plenty of profit in it for WB, go to them and offer to fully finance the show for them, you make no money back, but they get all the advertising cash plus international syndication, which would be worth millions.

Let's face reality, shall we, folks? There just aren't enough geeks in the world to truly support science fiction as a sure money-making venture. And why is this? Because we don't reproduce fast enough. For the good of the genre, we need to start having more babies.

A chance would be a fine thing!

I am twice cursed in they eyes of women... a sci-fi fan and a Christian. Both a geek and a "God botherer". The ents have better odds of finding lady folk!

Every couple of years somebody semi-seriously suggests raising money from fans to finish the series., as though money were the only obstacle. It isn't and never has been.

Two parties are required for a sale to take place: a buyer, and a seller.

Theoretically, isn't it possible for somebody who's rich enough, to put up the money to produce the rest of Crusade without necessarily buying anything? Warner Brothers could remain the "owner" (like they "own" B5). Maybe the person who'd putting up the money just gets sets of DVDs of the entirety of Crusade, all five years worth, for themselves and any of their friends. <shrug> The latter is licensing, not owning.

The only selling involved might be that of the airing rights, sold by Warner Brothers to the backer for X number of years. The backer could then give the airing rights to say The Sci-Fi Channel for Y number of years, where Y<=X.

Even there were some rich, crazy (and probably stupid)

Why would "stupid" (the descriptor) have to enter into this discussion at all? Undoubtedly, a lot of people would deem such a backing of Crusade as "stupid" because they deem it as unworthy, and/or they didn't like it, and/or they would spend the money in other ways. <u>However, it's not their money, so they can just bugger-off.</u>

IHMO, "stupid" doesn't enter into it. JMS would be in charge. Whoever's putting up the money would just get the satisfaction of seeing the show completed, and symbolically waving their middle finger at Total Nitwit Television. If it's a hit, that last part gains added satisfaction. ;)

...person out there willing to spend a millions of dollars to produce 4 1/2 or 5 seasons of a TV show purely for his own enjoyment, Warner Bros. woulld have to be willing to sell the property.

Not true. Selling the property is not necessary. Gaining permission to produce is necessary. Where would be the downside for Warner Brothers? They'd be the biggest fools in the world not to go for such a deal.

And why should they? It miight be valuable to them someday

And if what I outlined above came to pass, it could be valuable to them NOW. NOW is preferrable to "might be" and "someday."

and there's no rush to do anything about it now.
ROTFLMAO!!!! True, if Warner Brothers is composed of blithering idiots, or would be looking to re-make the show with (for example) all new personnel in the (possibly distant) future.

Then there's the matter of the actors. Yes, actors work for pay, but they also work for recognition, awards and to advance their careers. They wouldn't devote years to doing a series that nobody was ever going to see.

That nobody is ever going to see? That's one hell of an assumption.

If you don't have a network or cable company to show the thing, nobody ever will. If you do have a network or cable channel, you don't need to finance it yourself.

If the network or cable channel doesn't have to pay to produce it and air it, they're much more likely to air it. After all, production isn't costing them anything. They're getting it for FREE. That alone gives the show a huge leg up on other shows for which they do have to pay to produce and air.

I know it's not the same thing - far, very far from it, but has anyone seen this:

Crusade - Devil's Deal

A locked door may hold the cure to the plague which threatens all life on Earth. How far will Captain Gideon go to secure it?

By Chris Snyder
Based on "Value Judgements" by Fiona Avery
Additional dialog by Fiona Avery

It's an audio file, downloadable via http://www.darkerprojects.com/crusade.html.

I heard it and liked.

Very old thread I know, but I was searching for somewhere to post some general Crusade thoughts since I just finished watching the series for the first time in its actual chronological order. I liked Crusade the first time through, it was good, about season 5 B5 level stuff for me, but wow, after watching it in the correct chronological order, and no that's not the JMS order, I really really loved the show. I wouldn't put it anywhere near season 4 of B5, but nothing else save A Call To Arms comes close to S4. However I would put it on the same level as seasons 2 and 3 and well above seasons 1 and 5 of B5.

There are still some minor problems like the costume switching or the two "first" meetings between Lochley and Gideon. But, all the little things flow together much more nicely when viewed in this order and what I found enjoyable the first time through has now become something I love. All the obvious layering for things to come is present, the acting is spot on throughout, I don't even have a problem with Marjean Holden like some do, and the characters grow into their own entities within the B5 universe rather nicely.

All in all this serves to make me more upset that the show was canceled because based on what little we do see in these 13 episodes I do believe they were laying the foundation for a show that would end up being even better than B5.

1. War Zone
2. The Long Road
3. Appearances And Other Deceits
4. The Memory Of War
5. The Needs Of Earth
6. Racing The Night
7. Visitors From Down The Street
8. Each Night I Dream Of Home
9. The Path Of Sorrows
10. Patterns Of The Soul
11. Ruling From The tomb
12. The Well Of Forever
13. The Rules Of The Game

That is from finally sitting down and intuiting the events and what time they transpired in, and then I used the Babylon Project to help me fill out a couple of eps that I was unsure of, and this is the exact same as the chrono list they have there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back