• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade Soundtrack

This might come a little late, but better late than never, right?

00. Crusade - the album
Few words discripes Chen's music very well: exotic, unbalanced and chaotic. When I saw A Call To Arms for the
first time, I was thrilled to see a new name under the title of composer. And the rythmic part of the movies
opening got me excited as hell! It definetly wasn't from the same vein as Franke's music, but still very good. It didn't always fitted in the action and drama, but as I just tried to listen the music alone, it was amazing. Minimalistic, pointy, bouncing and it kept me on my toes. Same can be said of the music in the actual series. And I was thrilled beyond my imagination when I heard that Sonic Images released Crusade's soundtrack.

01. Main Title
This is more lighter Main Title I have used to. There aren no marching rythms or heavy brass (like in season 4 of B5). Electronic drone rythm starts almost instantly and it actually doesn't grow in the matter of fashion, but there is still a visible finale there. And if payed attention, there can be heard a distant rendition of the original B5-theme.
9/10

02. Hyperspace
This is very cosmic track. Not many clear themes at present, but french horns and some great sampled voices and cries are really creating a feeling that you really are in the vastness of hyperspace.
9/10

03. Future Pleasure
Exotic ryhtm jumps out and it doesn't change at all, but it's still very enjoyable. The theme that is played with a very high notes that could make your ears bleed, and is the biggest downfall of
this track. But it's still a pleasure and very funky.
7/10

04. Elizabeth
Simple piano theme is too short and simple. Flute and strings are making their appearance, but that doesn't do nothing for the track.
3/10

05. Galen's Wrath
This is one of the most darkest and meanest tracks hear. The texture reminds me of the compositions for The Outer Limits, and that doesn't exactly help. It goes as well as another, but it isn't my favorite.
3/10

06. Sorrow
Magical, exotic theme for the creature in the strange "bubble". Rythm makes appearance here and there, but mostly it's damn fine ambient. One of the best tracks here.
9/10

07. Shanghai Tan
I don't like the simple spelled vocals here. And the music in medicore too.
3/10

08. Patterns of Soul
Some nifty rythmic fireworks here. And synth choral sections. This is mostly solid action music in Chen-style. One of the darkest tracks.
7/10

09. Alwyn's Story
Very countrysided feel here. Exactly what you might expect from the music of the episode The Long Road. Some woody ryhtms and lighthearted ambient.
8/10

10. Mars Dome
These tracks are very nicely organazided. First comes the warm, naturish track Alwyn's Story and now the urban
and more colder Mars Dome. Cool wordless female vocal samples here and there. Steel guitar makes appearances
here and there and the end is the best ambient part in this album (reminds very much of the beginning of Tangerine Dream's Rubycon Part One.)
8/10

11. Battlestations
First moments of this track are the darkest and the same time the coolest moments in this album. The awfully
short theme is heard in the beginning of War Zone, where Gideon and Matheson are watching the destruction of the battle. Just before the main titles start. Great moment, but after that the track really sinks into the heartless action music.
6/10

12. Rainbow
Very positive, upbeat track with some asian-elements. Wordless vocal provided by Chen are great. Hard to descripe really.
9/10

13. Visitors
Not too good. It tries to create a paranoid mood, but doesn't work. Too loud hits from the synth brasses and very high notes from the strings.
3/10

14. Invasion
Now this is more like it. Very paroidish, but it still has a "open air" feel into it. The tinkling theme is very good.
8/10

15. My Way
Composition for Chen's son Way, who actually makes appearance here. Short samples are repeated and rythms
play their own game. This must not be taken seriously. If you do, you will never listen to this track again.
4/10

16. End Credits
This has a more dynamic feel if compared to the Main Title, but I'm sorry to say that it's much too short - as end credits always are.
9/10

Regards,
TheInfection

Well, I rather enjoyed it myself. A few of the tracks aren't going to hear a lot of praise from me, but overall I think it was pretty damn good.

would have been great to have seen chen grow the music over the seasons <sigh>, maybe we will still

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheInfection:
<font color=yellow>
04. Elizabeth
Simple piano theme is too short and simple. Flute and strings are making their appearance, but that doesn't do nothing for the track.
3/10
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I really like Elizabeth, though I haven't heard all of the other tracks (The album is damn near impossible to track down in the UK!)

I found Elizabeth to be extremly moving, though simple. I also like the main theme. Though, like many, I didn't at first, the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Happy Phantom:
<font color=yellow>I found Elizabeth to be extremly moving, though simple. I also like the main theme. Though, like many, I didn't at first, the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

me too!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, if I remeber correctly, the theme from Elizabeth was used in the Galen's flashback in the episode "Paths of Sorrow". I just wonder why, because Elizabeth propably refers to Elizabeth Lochley.

Regards,
TheInfection

<font color=yellow>Edit:</font color=yellow> my assumption was plain wrong, so I removed it.

It was also used in The Well of Forever for Galen laying Isabel (sp?) to rest

I never really noticed the name of the song not relating to Galen's love until someone pointed it out.......Elizabeth is a good name for the song..........but 'something' Isabel would have been good too........ah well, must have been some reason behind it lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back