• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

CRUSADE NEWS ON CINESCAPE!

Nothing special
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&action=pag e&obj_id=28667

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited August 16, 2001).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank God (or JmS in this case) that it doesn't really say much does it? Considering that no one knows what Sci Fi will do until November.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Nothing special <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I'll see what I do about that...

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

But on another note, when I read this it basically led me to believe that Crusade (as we knew it) is gone for good... looks like they'll wrap up the plague storyline in B5LR and, I suppose, a Gary Cole cameo.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>But on another note, when I read this it basically led me to believe that Crusade (as we knew it) is gone for good... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then I think you're reading too much into it. As usual J. Michael (Mr. Trapdoor) Straczynski has a "plan B" in his back pocket. No surprise there. If he can't get the show itself back in two years, he has figured out a way of tying off at least some of the loose ends and resolve the story, even if he can't complete it. (As he planned to do with B5 S4.) Nothing he actually says in the article indicates that reviving Crusade wouldn't be his first choice or that Sci-Fi has indicated that they have absolutely no interest in exploring that possibility.

As you're fond of pointing out, JMS doesn't even know at this point that Rangers is going to be a series - so pretty much everything we're hearing at this point is speculation and contingency planning. If Rangers gets the green light and does really well in its first season, Sci-Fi may decide to go with two B5 universe shows and JMS has time to ramp up Crusade so that the two shows are set in the same year. If not, he goes with plan "B" and deals with some of the Crusade story in Rangers.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

The possibility of two B5 shows on the air at the same time... It boggles the mind. But, it's a GOOD kind of boggling.
smile.gif

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

It certainly shows some signs that Sci-Fi are pretty confident enough that a series order might be imminent, before or after the airing. Otherwise, it is less likely that JMS would even be discussing the subject publically (considering his usual tight-lippedness during the past several months).
wink.gif

------------------

Keep in mind that if Rangers and Crusade events overlap, it's probably okay. If Crusade gets revived into its own series again, it's silly to think that the Excalibur is the *only* ship they have looking for a cure. It's probably just the *main* ship looking for a cure.

With other ships looking for a cure, somebody's got to watch Earth's back. Maybe that's part of what Rangers will be about. Also, if the Excalibur was meant to go renegade eventually, maybe there would have been two sides of the coin that would lead to such actions. One side could be explored in Crusade, the other in Rangers.

If there's anything B5 taught us, it's that there's two sides to every story. I don't care--two B5 shows on at once... I'm all for it.

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

While it depends on the Rangers series being given the go-ahead, it is a logical way to complete Crusade. In fact, it could take most of year 3 and could even bring in some of the Crusade crew as and when they were available. Of course, it's iffy, but it makes a lot of sense.
smile.gif

------------------

Personally, I think that anyone who believes Crusade is coming back at any point is dreaming.

I find it too much of a coincidence that the time frame of Rangers covers both the time period of the Telepath War and the Drakh plague to believe anything except that the plan has always been for Rangers to deal with these events.

And while I stand to be corrected, I don't recall JMS ever saying anything about Crusade ever coming back (except during the initial talks w/Sci-Fi after Crusade's cancellation).

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it come back. I just don't think it will.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."
-- B. Banzai

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I find it too much of a coincidence that the time frame of Rangers covers both the time period of the Telepath War and the Drakh plague to believe anything except that the plan has always been for Rangers to deal with these events.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Rangers happens after the Telepath War.

As Joe D has pointed out a while ago, just because the two series would take place at the same time does not mean that they would cover the same events. It's a big galaxy.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Well, maybe I've missed something but I don't recall anything about Rangers being after the Telepath War.
smile.gif

I do remember a line from "A Call to Arms" mentioning "the recent telepath war" (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it).

And since Rangers is set two to three years before "ACTA," it seems perfectly poised to feature the Telepath War.

And no matter how big the universe is, I still say a Crusade revival is not likely. For Crusade to be revived on SciFi, we need:
1) Rangers movie to big good enough and/or get enough ratings to go to series;
2) Rangers series to be good enough and/or get enough ratings for Sci-Fi to order Crusade series;
3) JMS's desire to bring back Crusade;
4) a hole big enough in JMS's schedule to do it;
5) re-assembling the cast (or at least some of them).

Considering that we are at minimum a year a way from a possible Rangers series premiering, and therefore probably another year away form a Crusade return, reassembling the cast after four years also becomes problematic.

Impossible? Absolutely not!
Probable? Don't hold your breath.
smile.gif

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."
-- B. Banzai

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Personally, I think that anyone who believes Crusade is coming back at any point is dreaming.
I find it too much of a coincidence that the time frame of Rangers covers both the time period of the Telepath War and the Drakh plague to believe anything except that the plan has always been for Rangers to deal with these events.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I basically have to agree with you. This basically seems like a dog race to me. Whichever becomes a series first will cancel out the other. If its B5LR, which seems more likely to happen, then I guess Crusade will rest-in-peace. If B5LR becomes a series, then it just seems to far-fetched that Sci-Fi would then go and make Crusade into a series as well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited August 16, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't recall JMS ever saying anything about Crusade ever coming back (except during the initial talks w/Sci-Fi after Crusade's cancellation).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMS has probably posted close to a dozen messages touching on Crusade since Sci-Fi picked up the B5 reruns, the most recent coming only a few weeks ago. He gets asked about this a lot.

His last usenet post on the subject said that Sci-Fi had never given him a firm "yes" or a firm "no" on the subject of Crusade. But he added that he had designed Crusade as a five year series, and that is how he would prefer to tell the story. He said that if Rangers became a successful series he would be surprised if Sci-Fi didn't consider bringing back Crusade.

He has been very consistent about this for more than a year now. That's why I think a Crusade revival is still possible, and why I think the Rangers option is just that - an option.

JMS has been very careful to avoid telling any more of the Crusade story in the published novels and short stories, even though several of them take place during and after the five year time period the series would have covered. (There are only a few references to Excalibur and her crew, and the suggestion that they find a cure. Which we already knew they would anyway.) He has also avoided the Telepath War in the books and stories, as well as in A Call to Arms, Crusade and now the Rangers pilot. It isn't hard to see when he is "saving" something for use elsewhere.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

"As Joe D has pointed out a while ago, just because the two series would take place at the same time does not mean that they would cover the same events. It's a big galaxy."

From the interview: "When asked flat out if, at that point, he would deal with the series (Crusade) within the setting of B5: THE LEGEND OF THE RANGERS, the creator merely replies: “Yes. Absolutely. It’s a sneaky way of handling it, but its nice.”

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "When asked flat out if, at that point, he would deal with the series (Crusade) within the setting of B5: THE LEGEND OF THE RANGERS, the creator merely replies: “Yes. Absolutely. It’s a sneaky way of handling it, but its nice.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, this from the man who created Vorlons.

Please, this statement is so vague; it's ridiculous to try to derive anything from it.

What exactly does "deal with it" mean.

The Rangers series will have to mention the Drakh plague and its cure. This in itself could mean "dealing with" Crusade, since that's an important part of it. But we know that there was so much more the JMS had in store for Crusade.

People are assuming that "dealing with it" means resolving every plot thread and answering all the questions (Apocolypse Box, Gideon's past, Earth's "dark projects"). It's long jump to reach that conclusion, my friends.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
But on another note, when I read this it basically led me to believe that Crusade (as we knew it) is gone for good... looks like they'll wrap up the plague storyline in B5LR and, I suppose, a Gary Cole cameo.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it doesn't, but that is beside the point.

Until November (roughly), JmS has no idea what will happen to Crusade nor the Legend of the Rangers, it is not scheduled for series production at this time. So you are counting your chickens before they are eggs yet as the movie has not aired for any response yet.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Then I think you're reading too much into it. As usual J. Michael (Mr. Trapdoor) Straczynski has a "plan B" in his back pocket. No surprise there. If he can't get the show itself back in two years, he has figured out a way of tying off at least some of the loose ends and resolve the story, even if he can't complete it. (As he planned to do with B5 S4.) Nothing he actually says in the article indicates that reviving Crusade wouldn't be his first choice or that Sci-Fi has indicated that they have absolutely no interest in exploring that possibility.

As you're fond of pointing out, JMS doesn't even know at this point that Rangers is going to be a series - so pretty much everything we're hearing at this point is speculation and contingency planning. If Rangers gets the green light and does really well in its first season, Sci-Fi may decide to go with two B5 universe shows and JMS has time to ramp up Crusade so that the two shows are set in the same year. If not, he goes with plan "B" and deals with some of the Crusade story in Rangers.

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong here, but I think I love you Joe.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks so much for the post. The roundtable is scheduled in October to November (and this could change) so no one knows yet.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spuzzum:
Personally, I think that anyone who believes Crusade is coming back at any point is dreaming.

And while I stand to be corrected, I don't recall JMS ever saying anything about Crusade ever coming back (except during the initial talks w/Sci-Fi after Crusade's cancellation).

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it come back. I just don't think it will.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you are not correct or thousands of people including myself have put a lot of work out for nothing. The ratings were good, sci fi notified us they were re-running it and suggested we get that dream going again, so the execs may go our way. Legends hasn't even aired yet, although Sci Fi anticipates the responses will be good. Then they will come up with ideas and proposals and we will see from there.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back