• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade for Rangers

westtim

Beyond the rim
The "Crusade for Crusade" page has been updated to reflect the latest news regarding the future of Rangers. As always this page will function as a resource for those that need SFC contact information and sponsor information as well as letter writing tips. However we urge everyone to put pen to paper quickly so that your voice may be heard. Go to
Crusade for Crusade

------------------

There are only two things I would add to Tim's advice on writing letters:

1) Tell them something about yourself. I described myself as a forty-something computer professional, and mentioned that I rarely write such letters to advertisers This give them some demographic information (CDW and IBM were probably happy to know that I paid attention to their commercials, other companies will be happy to hear from you) and lets them know that they aren't being bombarded by a bunch of pimply teenagers who wouldn't make the buying decisions on the products they are selling.

2) If you *didn't* watch the first airing of the movie because of the football game, *say so*. It is important that the sponsors, as well as the network, understand that the game was a one-time distraction for people who would ordinarily tune in for every episode of a "Rangers" series.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westtim:
The "Crusade for Crusade" page has been updated to reflect the latest news regarding the future of Rangers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My only concern about this is that the entire post from Dylan Neal is reprinted there on the "News" page. Didn't he specifically request that he not be named as the source for these "confirmations"? Even though he did not ask for it to -not- be reprinted, my feeling is that it was implied.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 26, 2002).]

Yeah, I have to agree with Lyta.

I got the feeling that what he said was for the messageboard alone. You should probably take it off. Dylan was sticking his neck out there, and things might be safer for him and for Rangers if that fact just stays here on the board.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Yea dude. Someone needs to change that ASAP. Dont you people read?
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

I must concur with others here. Unless Dylan is willing to allow it to stay, (which he might be, you can ask) I'd take it off. I don't think any of us want Dylan in trouble, especially since he IS putting his neck on the chopping block for us. (Loyalty, people)

Of course, if you ask and he thinks it's ok, knock yourselves out.

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

The reason that we included the entire post
was for exactly the reasons Dylan outlines in the post. In the post, Dylan makes it clear that he is *not* divulging any information that is not already public knowledge. Rather than paraphrasing (which could make things unclear) we wanted Dylan's words to speak for themselves on exaclty how fans should treat this information and what caution they should use when repeating it to people outside of fandom.

The Crusade for Crusade site has been online for more than two years (through the dark ages of B5). During that time we've acquired some loyal readers who are very interested in the return of new B5 programming. We feel we owe it to these people to give them the most accurate information possible. Also, we believe that the more fans there are fighting for Rangers, the better Rangers chances are - and those fans won't know why its necessary to fight or how best to help Rangers unless they are given that information.

------------------

We can kiss goodbye to any more confirmations, I'd bet.

I seriously doubt anyone else will do for us what Dylan did. Why not just say "an inside source"?

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Right.

So, you've spoken with this guy, Steve, at work. He has some news about some promotions and firings that might be going on at the corporate level, and you know it.

So, you do some of your own searching, and you basically figure out, you know, the most likely people to get promoted, and the most likely people to get fired.

Steve comes up to you, says: "You've been looking around, so, maybe, if you keep your mouth shut as to where you got this information, I'll confirm what you suspect." He tells you about some promotions, some firings, and asks you not to tell anyone else - it's strictly a between-friends thing.

You go and tell, because you feel "they have a right to know."

It's easy as hell to trace back to Steve - and now Steve gets in trouble with *his* superiors because he gave out information he really wasn't supposed to - but he thought highly enough of you, and thought you would have the scruples to keep it on the q-t.

That's basically what's happening here.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Steve comes up to you, says: "You've been looking around, so, maybe, if you keep your mouth shut as to where you got this information, I'll confirm what you suspect." He tells you about some promotions, some firings, and asks you not to tell anyone else - it's strictly a between-friends thing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And then Steve publishes exactly what he told you on the front page of the Des Moines Register. Granted the Register isn't exactly the New York Times but it is still a public news source. So is this forum.

Reprinting Steve's article in another paper without his permission or the Register's publisher is a breach of etiquette (and, in that case, copyright), but not a breach of confidence. As I have noted in another thread, and others have noted here, this is a PUBLIC board.

I think Tim acted hastily and discourteously in posting Dylan's remarks without getting permission and at least informing Antony. I think the best thing would have been for Tim to e-mail Antony asking for permission to link to Dylan's post from his site, which would have also increased traffic to the board - always a good thing. But this was not a private conversation among friends. It was a public post on the friggin' INTERNET for pete's sake.

I think Tim, in his zeal to communicate the importance of writing letters to the sponsors, went further than he should. I think some of the folks here, in their zeal to protect Dylan, have gone even further in attacking Tim. If Dylan didn't expect his remarks to be quoted, he wouldn't have specified how they should be quoted, now would he?

Tim isn't right in claiming that he did nothing wrong, in my view. He should have asked permission and/or linked to the message rather than quoting it in full. OTOH I think some of you guys need to put down the pitchforks and torches. What he did do - posting the whole thing with Dylan's disclaimer - isn't nearly the heinous act you're portraying it as.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

On this matter, I would completely agree with Joe, and thank him from taking the time to word it that exactly.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

For me, Dylan's request seemed to be the same as JMS saying "permission to reprint specifically denied" in his signatures. Whereas for JMS it's only SFX Magazine, I get the feeling that Dylan didn't want it reprinted anywhere.

But then, at this point, it sounds like we're putting words in Dylan's mouth, so I'm going to shut up until we hear from him.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>For me, Dylan's request seemed to be the same as JMS saying "permission to reprint specifically denied" in his signatures. Whereas for JMS it's only SFX Magazine, I get the feeling that Dylan didn't want it reprinted anywhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, for Dylan his request wasn't the same, as he himself says here.

Maybe we can put the tar and feathers away, now?
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Well, for Dylan his request wasn't the same, as he himself says here.

Maybe we can put the tar and feathers away, now?
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So no witch burning now?
frown.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Channe, westtim has typed a thorough paragraph that basically says "I did the right thing".

I just think it's a shame. By the time Dylan hears about this, the major damage will be done, even if they did remove it now.

I've removed that site from my address book. I used to check in there once every 2 or 3 days. No more.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited January 27, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westtim:
Rather than paraphrasing (which could make things unclear) we wanted Dylan's words to speak for themselves on exaclty how fans should treat this information and what caution they should use when repeating it to people outside of fandom.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please paraphrase it and get Dylan's name out of there.
shocked.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

One thing I don't understand : this forum (b5lr) as far as I know is *public*. Everybody have the freedom to read the content. So when Dylan posted his informations, he did it knowing that everything was going in the public ... So I don't see any problem here ...

... but maybe I'm totally wrong ! (which we'll be the FIRST time in my life
laugh.gif
)

I guess the best is to wait for Dylan' opinion itself.

- Garibaldi's Hairs

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

[This message has been edited by GaribaldiHairs (edited January 27, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back