• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade Chain Reaction Ratings

Credit www.isnnews.net

CRUSADE: I read over on the "Save Crusade" website that the Crusade Chain Reaction did VERY well on October 8. The rating numbers were terrific all day long. Here is a quote from the site: "The ratings averaged a 0.5 for the entire marathon. This quite good considering that the marathon ran on a holiday and that the average includes the ratings for the early morning episodes (starting at 7 am). Even more encouraging, the 5 and 6 pm episodes each earned a 0.6 rating, and the 7 pm episode got a 0.9 which is a very good rating for that timeslot."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------
"Faith Manages"

thank the great maker... there is still hope...

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

hope is all we have left

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The One Who Was:
Credit www.isnnews.net

CRUSADE: I read over on the "Save Crusade" website that the Crusade Chain Reaction did VERY well on October 8. The rating numbers were terrific all day long. Here is a quote from the site: "The ratings averaged a 0.5 for the entire marathon. This quite good considering that the marathon ran on a holiday and that the average includes the ratings for the early morning episodes (starting at 7 am). Even more encouraging, the 5 and 6 pm episodes each earned a 0.6 rating, and the 7 pm episode got a 0.9 which is a very good rating for that timeslot."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately the information posted on that site wasn't factually accurate. The information posted on this site shortly after it showed was (see the Crusade ratings thread).

Best,
Alyson

------------------

Got this from the Sci fi channel.

That weeeks top ten:

Soulkeeper 1.4
Crusade 0.9
The Outer Limits 0.9
Farscape 0.8
Talisman 0.8
Lifeform 0.8
Matthew Blackheart 0.8
John Edward 0.7
Tales From the Crypt 0.7
Babylon 5 0.6

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 10/8/01 - 10/14/01.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoriah:
Got this from the Sci fi channel.

That weeks top ten:

[snipped; see Zoriah's posting for the details.]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great publicity for SCIFI. However, it tells you nothing about whether the Crusade marathon was a success.

The first problem with this list is that it isn't really a top 10 list at all. If a program is on more than once during the week (e.g., Farscape is repeated more than once) and one of those numbers is the highest rating, all subsequent instances of that program are thrown out for their top 10. So if the real Top 10 might have started Farscape, John Edward, John Edward, John Edward, Farscape, John Edward, Farscape, etc, that's not what they actually provide. Using that method, a show with a low rating can end up in the Top 10.

So the list is a publicity tool but it doesn't actually provide the information you need to determine the "real" top 10 shows.

Second, to determine the efficacy of a show you need to compare it with like shows. No one expects a show at 7 AM to get the ratings of one at 9 PM. Certain nights have more folks actually watching TV. If a great rating for a timeslot is .2, getting a .8 is fantastic although it doesn't make the Top 10 Shows. You'll need to know what is 'normal' for the timeslot on that day of the week to know if it won comparative to that programming. Then you need to look at other Networks to see if they are doing any better. This goes for a marathon, too. It's great if it wins in one time period but what about all the others? If it wins across the board or much of the time, it's far more successful than if only one showing among thirteen won its time period.

Third, the list provides no demographics. It's nice to get the best ratings overall but it can be just fine to get the best ratings in a certain demo. If all the show's viewers are under 2 years old, it might not be the best place to advertise, for example. Different demos are more or less interesting to advertisers.

In the end what that list tells you are the ratings for the top viewing of the show mentioned during that week. It's a fun publicity tool and a good choice to drive traffic to SCIFI.COM. Unfortunately, it really doesn't say much else.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

[This message has been edited by ala (edited October 30, 2001).]

Well I can see you know heaps more than me hehe, I don't know much about stats and demographics
wink.gif

But I posted up for one reason...scifi channel thought it important enough to post on their site.

It may not show the true ratings etc. But it shows they think it's a good thing...if they are willing to 'assert' that B5 and Crusade are popular shows for that week, then I say GREAT!!!

The more people who will tune in just because they are swayed by notions of 'what's hot' the better.

If the sci-fi channel is trying to promote B5 and Crusade as worth viewing since they have LOTR coming up next year then let them go for it...

How is this a bad thing?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Zoriah (edited October 30, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoriah:
If the sci-fi channel is trying to promote B5 and Crusade as worth viewing since they have LOTR coming up next year then let them go for it...

How is this a bad thing?
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a great thing and, as you say, good publicity. I agree with you.

Your posting was in the context of a thread which referenced a posting that proported that the Crusade marathon had done spectacularly well. I truly wish it had. I thought Crusade had promise. Alas...

I've seen a few other postings (e.g., on .mod) suggesting that because Crusade was listed on the Top 10 list on SCIFI.COM that meant the Crusade marathon had done well. Since your posting was under that context I read your posting as supporting that, erroneous, assertion as well. I'm sorry I misunderstood your comments.

The Top 10 list on SCIFI.COM is a great publicity tool and, I suspect, very effective at driving hits to their site. It's fun to see all the sf shows in one place. It just seems to lead to such confusion and misunderstanding when taken out of that context.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ala:
Your posting was in the context of a thread which referenced a posting that proported that the Crusade marathon had done spectacularly well. I truly wish it had. I thought Crusade had promise. Alas...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see how it would even be possible for Crusade's existing 13 episodes to do spectacularly well, no matter how they're shown (any venue, and in any order).

No matter what you do, TNT's fingerprints are still there, and negatively affect the viewer. TNT is like a bad smell, that doesn't ever go away.
mad.gif
The only way to eliminate TNT's fingerprints, without editing the episodes and shooting new material, is to only show "A Call to Arms" and the first five Crusade episodes (just the grey uniform episodes).

It might be interesting to put together a tape of just those items, and try them out on a few viewers who've never seen or heard of Crusade, and see what their reaction is.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Actually, I guess I'm the optimist. The fact that a series cancelled before it was even released and with half a first season has been 'rated' as a top ten success for the Chain reaction to me is a 'positive' thing.

I'm not jumping up and down as if Crusade is now about to launch a second coming, but I still fail to see your negative spin on things.

Crusade is not new, it was cancelled several years ago, well before its promise could be realised. Thanks to TNT. But despite that, people are still watching and enjoying it, and Sci-Fi is still trying to portray it as something worth tuning into.

Again I ask you, how is that a bad thing?

I would like to see Crusade revived, but I know that such things are difficult to achieve for many reasons.

For me the ratings are a sign that while Crusade is not about to resurrect itself with phenomenal ratings, it is still showing us that it is alive in peoples minds and hearts.

That to me is a damn fine thing
wink.gif

------------------

Zoriah, it seems that relatively speaking, Crusade did fairly well. It was on a day that ratings are EXPECTED to be low. It still did pretty well compared to other Sci-Fi shows. But I can hardly say I stayed home just to watch it, on a day off I sometimes have things to do! (I DID tape it, BTW.)

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Hey Hypatia, I was just responding to Ala who seems determined to turn a positive outcome into something disappointing.

She obviously knows more than I about true figures and data, but sometimes battles need to be fought in terms of perception and states of mind.

Hehe, in other words Faith Manages, and if it's a little blind now and again...so be it.

smile.gif

------------------

Zoriah, I too have noticed that some people have popped up recently that seem bound and determined to stamp out any enthusiasm for "Rangers". I'm not sure what motivation might be behind this, but considering the active "anti-B5" campaign in the recent past, I have my suspicions.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

That weeeks top ten:

Soulkeeper 1.4
Crusade 0.9
The Outer Limits 0.9
Farscape 0.8
Talisman 0.8
Lifeform 0.8
Matthew Blackheart 0.8
John Edward 0.7
Tales From the Crypt 0.7
Babylon 5 0.6

=======================================
Originally posted by ala:

The first problem with this list is that it isn't really a top 10 list at all.
=====================================

You may be able to say this is not a top 10 list, but can you agree that at least the 7pm show did better than any other show at Scifi for the week except for Soulkeeper. I don't know much about ratings; however, would you agree that as it got later in the day the numbers increased. Would it be logical to say parents who had to work that day came home and turned on Crusade. If this can be stated as true, then we can say that during the last 3 hours of Crusade, the viewers included working adults along with kids. Therefore, a better market for advertisers.

smile.gif

------------------

Hey Hypatia, I was just responding to Ala who seems determined to turn a positive outcome into something disappointing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not accurate. I was pointing out that the outcome wasn't disapointing but neither was it really positive. It did OK. That's all. The details of that were in another thread. So the contextual item that started this thread was just erroneous. It even had bad rating information.

If you ask me what I'd give it if I had a magic wand, heck, I'd have been delighted to see the marathon do really well. Me, I recorded the whole thing so I finally have a copy of all the episodes. Clearly the mark of someone who hated the thing. Personally, I want to know more of that technomage story.

I can spin anything into a positive light. The question I need to ask myself is to I want the hype version or do I want the truth? Do I want one rating for the highest Crusade episode or to know how the marathon did?

Me, I want the truth even if it means that my favorite TV shows will likely be cancelled (there are a couple this season I just know won't last but that doesn't make them any less favorites) or a show I don't like (e.g. Chronicle) is doing well. If the only thing you want is good news then don't look at the ratings. Sometimes they'll be good and sometimes they'll be bad.

I suppose any time something doesn't go exactly the way I want I could think it's some vast, anti-me campaign. Or I can just accept that's what's happened and go on. I'd rather celebrate the real successes. They are so much better.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back