• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Circle Memebers? Tech book spoilers

Quagmire

Regular
Does Circe deserve to be elected?

Who else will be, whether or not she does?

How soon will the circle(old or new) let the other mages in on their little secret? Three years being the longest they could wait.

Would the circle be disbanded? After all in A Call to Arms Galen is called before everyone, not just the circle.

I know there is not a whole lot to go on but I hope to stimulate discussion on these great books although I'm sure not many have had time to read them.

I'll respond if I get any response. I believe that's a real sentance.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

I think that the circle should be composed of the most powerful and best of the technomages. I've only got like 20 pages left in the first book so i hope i haven't missed anything. If you'll recall, from crusade, elric quit when the circle decided to move the mages into hiding, so the circle was still together then and was still together when valen was cast out of the mages right before crusade came about because of having too much contact with outsiders. That was kinda crappy considering that the circle told him to explain himself to everyone involved in "A call to arms" Well, i hope you like my opinions on this issue, since we don't know what happens between now and crusade.

------------------

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>actually, from what I hear, Elric didn't resign, HE DIED</font></td></tr></table>

------------------

I don't remember Galen being cast out - was that in the Crusade episodes or ACTA. I will have to go back and re-watch ACTA. I seem to remember Galen going before the Circle in ACTA, but I will re-watch it to be sure.

I just finished the second book this weekend. I liked it better than the first, for the most part.

I think the circle will begin to consist of younger mages - due to the failing health of most of the older ones. Since the mages in the Centari Trilogy are new mages, I am assuming they found a way to replicate the tech or something. Whether the circle revealed the secret of it's origins remains to be seen, hopefully we will find out in the third novel.

------------------

I really hope Crusade is brought back...I want to see what Galens Destruction Spell looks like. (Why do I get a mental image of a Kamehameha from DBZ?)

------------------
Marcus, "Well They said I was carrying around a lot of repressed anger.
Lennier, "and?"
Marcus, "I'm not repressed anymore."

I've just finished reading the Technomage books and I, too, am morbidly curious to see Galen's powers. It sounded horrifying in the novel.

------------------
"Personal journal, Captain Matthew Gideon, continue. It's now three days since our visitors arrived on behalf of Earthgov's Political Affairs Office. There is apparently some concern with how our work here is being perceived back home. They've been assigned to "help" us. Before their tour is finished, I may have to kill them. Assuming, Lt. Matheson doesn't beat me to it."

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Galen was never 'cast out' that was just they lie he was telling everyone. He was sent away to learn more about earthforce experiemntation with shadow tech.... maybe in hopes that the mages could learn how to create their own tech?</font></td></tr></table>

Elric didn't leave, Alwyn did. He stayed behind after

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Carvin died</font></td></tr></table>

and the rest of the mages went into hiding, because he felt he was morrally obligated to stay and help.

As for the circle... I don't think they get rid of it. Galen is called to go before everyone, yes, but when the mage (Blaylock maybe?) first addresses him, it's "The Circle requires your presence."

As for their secret, I don't think they'll ever tell the other mages.

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Derian:

Elric didn't leave, Alwyn did. He stayed behind after

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But alwyn was never a member of the circle.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow War-Chief:
But alwyn was never a member of the circle.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're both right. It looks like this wil be a very tough wait until November for all of us.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
Elric does go into hiding with the rest of the mages (2259? 2260?). He dies sometime after that, and before Crusade.

Alwyn, perpetually frowned upon by the Circle (and not a part of it), does remain behind. The Circle has enough problems at the moment, so they turn a blind eye to this latest disobedience.

Kell is murdered by his student Elizar, and Ing-Radi lets herself get blown up in a misdirection plan to save the other mages. So, after the end of Book II, there are only 3 members of the circle left: Elric, Blaylock, and Herazade.
</font></td></tr></table>

I hope I remembered that right! Now we have to wait until November.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I've read both books and seen the 13 eps of Crusade and we know

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> that Elric dies because Galen tells Alwyn that. We also know that Alwyn stayed behind with one or two others because he felt it was his duty to do so. For those who have read the Centauri trilogy, we know there are two or three technomages who take part in that although the rest of the technomages appear to still be in hiding. I don't think Galen was kicked out by the Circle. I think he will be sent by them to find out what he can about the techs. </font></td></tr></table>

I can't remember all the names well enough to guess who will form the next Circle, but it will surely be the younger stronger ones. Several of the older ones seem to be extremely weak because of the loss of their source of power.

------------------

Jomar,

You are, of course, right. Your observations do lead me to ask, though:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
Of the three young Techno-Mages -- Kane (who dies), Gwynn, and Finian (Welsh and Celtic names?) -- they refer to themselves as "cloisters," don't they? They seem to indicate they are not full Techno-Mages yet, and it doesn't seem they have a chysalis, either. So, what stage of the process are they in? The reason I ask is if they are initiated, or if they are in the chrysalis stage, then the Techno-Mages have found a way to replace the Shadow tech.

Also, I don't know if we have enough to go on to guess who the new Circle members will be. What we do know is that a majority of the Circle will be elected by a group of hurt Mages living in fear. They should elect the best of them, but politics is politics.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Re Kane, etc. (I hated to see Kane die. I think he had real potential.) I think they're just young mages. Kane is mentioned at the end of book 2 of the technomage trilogy, and while it doesn't specifically state so, it sounds like he's already got his implants. Remember, after a mage gets their implants, they're supposed to spend another 3 years with their teacher learning. I think that would be the stage that they are at. Remember, nto all the new mages are as formal and stoic as Galen and the rest. -- Look at Fed.

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

That's interesting. I got the feeling that after initiation, the young Mages were no longer "under" anyone.

But anyway, does this mean they were initiated in the three years before Galen? If so, then there's no argument about where they got their tech. Were they among the 15(?) that were initiated with Galen? Then they're still covered. However, if they were initiated after Galen's "graduating class," well -- from where do their implants come?

Thanks.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited July 14, 2001).]

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I think it is pretty obvious that teh 3 Cloister mage's seen in teh Centauri tilagy were initiated after Galen just by the way they talk to each other and Vir </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

As cloister mages they would have to be initiated within three years of the second book, 2267/68.

I think almost any mage would have a healthy sense of awe/fear/uneasiness about Galen given what he could do.

------------------
Bus

OK since we don't really know enough about the mages to answer the first question here's another.

Will the circle's prodigies, mainly Fed, Galen, Gowen, be circle members in the future?

------------------
Bus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
OK since we don't really know enough about the mages to answer the first question here's another.

Will the circle's prodigies, mainly Fed, Galen, Gowen, be circle members in the future?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's a matter that will be decided when the Techno-Mages decide what they want to become.

Now that they are hidden, with their oldest/most mature/most powerful members hurt by destroying their places of power, the Mage community may decide to stay hidden. They may decide to follow Blaylock's example and truly "cloister" themselves away from the universe. If that's so, then Mages interested in the "outside" will be even more frowned upon than ever.

In these books, we're shown that Kosh is different from the other Vorlons, because he takes such an interest in the younger races. I wonder how this affects his standing in the Vorlon community.

In this sense, I see a parallel between Kosh and Galen.

As to whether the "young lions" eventually become members of the Circle... I imagine that as long as there are Techno-Mages in their current state, there will always be a Circle. Over the years, new members will have to be elected. So there's always a chance.

Will it happen soon? I doubt it. Galen aside, they really don't have that much experience, demonstrated "leadership skills," etc.

And while Galen has been collecting a lot of experience and powerful spells, his portfolio of lifetime achievements as a Mage still only encompasses a few weeks/months -- as of the end of Book II. For all the Mages know, he may only turn out to be a "one spell wonder."
wink.gif

Here's a related question.

Does learning from a member of the Circle give Gowan, Fed, Galen any more standing or status? It seemed to be the case with Elizar (continuing the "line of Wierden"), but I don't know about the others. Do you think it's the equivilent of military academy, so they become Mages as "officers" instead of "enlisted" people? I

I don't mean this in a literal sense. I'm pretty sure that, Circle aside, Mages don't have "ranks." But even if it's informal, most organizations do have hierarchies. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited July 17, 2001).]

I would think who your teacher is would effect how others perceive you. Since the circle are supposed to be the best and brightest I would think it would give Fed etc. a leg up.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I think that the mages could be too afraid of Galen ever to elect him to the circle. At least that's one possibility. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Bus

You may be very right. As we're often told, people don't like what they don't understand.

Here's a question about Herazade that just came to me. I think it's interesting.

How does Herazade become a member of the Circle? We're told she has been a member for only two years.

We're also told the members of the Circle leave the Circle at death, or if they retire, shortly before death -- so it sounds like a lifetime appointment/election.

Yet when Isabelle and Burell are killed, the Mages are in shock because these are the first Mages to die in a very long time.

But if no Mages have died in a very long time, how could there be a vacancy on the Circle for Herazade to be elected to only two years ago?

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Isabelle and Burrell died violent deaths. They were untimely, quite different than say dying in you sleep. I don't think it's that no mages have died just that no mages have been killed. </font></td></tr></table>

The real question is how

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>someone as naive, realitivly dim, and full of self denial came to be a member of the circle. Personally I think she's more frustrating than Blaylock. He understands whats going on and while I think he's full of sh*t he has his reasons for doing what he's doing and has some grasp of the consequences. Herazade is just freeking because her perfect little view of the universe was shattered. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Bus

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back