• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

CGI Version of Richard Biggs

Although I don't want CGI actors to become common, I have no doubt that some day, not that far away, it will be possible to scan in all the performances of any actor, code all of their movements and expressions, and then program to produce a new, different 'performance.' History shows that what humans can do, they will do, so, in time, we will probably see 'new' performances by long dead, great actors, especially ones with greedy heirs who stand to profit. If the SAG manages to prevent their production in the US, it will just happen in other places.

They could get another actor to play Dr. Franklin, and he could keep a surgical mask on during the entire film, ala Plan Nine From Outer Space. :D ;) :D THat would actually work a bit better than holding a cape in front of your face for most of a movie. :eek:

:LOL:
Make sure the replacement is significantly taller (or was it shorter?) than him.

Ah, sorry, but sometimes you just have to laugh. Or you'd never stop crying.

Mr. Bigg's death was horribly tragic and shocking. But you simply have to work with reality even when it dishes you a raw deal. He is gone, he is much missed, and everything must move on without him.

I'm sure you'll see a dedication to him in this film, no matter what its subject matter is. He seems to have been much loved by his fellow actors. It's tragic to me that I knew so little about him until his untimely death.

So let me just cast the one-billion-and-first vote "no" here. Even if they could, they shouldn't try.

Firstly, no a CGI version should not be used

Secondly:
I agree with you on this, Maagic. And I just recently read an interesting article on why realistic graphics make humans look creepy in Slate:

Slate: Why Realistic Graphics Make Humans Look Creepy

Oddly enough, the closer we get to photorealism, the worse the effect.
I'd hardly say that that article used good examples of where a game uses a photorealistic reconstruction of a human. I guess it's more like they photographed the actor's face and used it as a texture on a model. I'd say the best example of accurately rendered CGI human beings would be from Matrix Revolutions, though the illusion was broken by the odd way in which they moved.

Nope. Very odd idea, and in very poor taste so close to his untimley death.
However, i'm not against the idea of CGI actors per-say, in particular bringing long dead icons back to life for cameos is a neat trick, if used in the right way.

Star Wars Episode 3 is heavily rumored to include a guy made up as Peter Cushing to play Moff Tarkin. That really does float my fan-boy boat. I think this is all being done with protosthetics rather than CGI though.

Star Wars Episode 3 is heavily rumored to include a guy made up as Peter Cushing to play Moff Tarkin. That really does float my fan-boy boat. I think this is all being done with protosthetics rather than CGI though.

I've heard rumors off and on about this. Tarkin is my favorite Star Wars character, especially with someone like Cushing portraying him. I'm interested to see if this is true, and if so, how well they manage to pull it off in regards to resembling a younger Cushing. I've seen some pics posted around the web but I honestly can't tell you what's real anymore and what's not.

Having a CGI replacement of someone that's passed away just isn't right. As great as it would be to have that person back, there comes a point when you just have to accept that the person is not coming back.

I think the Pepsi (Or was it Coke?) commercials with the long dead "classical" actors were ok, but, the CGIing of a recently dead actor is voer the top, IMHO

Gotta agree. Real bad idea. Somehow the vision of another Doctor springs to mind... Dr. Frankenstein screaming "He's Alive!"

And as yet another famous Doctor has said... "He's really not dead, as long as we remember him." That's the way Richard Biggs should live on. In our fond memories.

EDIT- Oops, just noticed the difference in posting dates. Looks like I brought this subject back from the dead. Sorry if I brought up old wounds. Guess I should check in here more often.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back