• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Captian Lochley?

It's OK, it takes a while to get used to the different forums.
smile.gif

As for the question... hmm. All I know is that she's not there in 2282 (which would be kind of strange, if she were!). I can't remember if the Centauri trilogy mentioned anything but I don't think so.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Actually, the Centauri trilogy does mention Capt. Lochley at least a couple of times:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
Once when she steps in after Mariel slaps a Drazi who insulted Vir; again when Lochley wonders aloud about the bragging Mariel is doing about Vir's sexual expertise.

</font></td></tr></table>

So, I guess if you wanted to, you could reread the books, figure out when those scenes took place, and know Lochley was there for at least that long -- but I don't think it mentions when Lochley leaves the station.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I am almost finished with the 2nd centaurri trilogy and I remember the incident you are talking about. I'm pretty sure the time frame was about the same as the crusade 2267-2269 'ish. Because,

Centaurri Trilogy spoiler:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Vir, is banned from centaurri prime. The technomages take him to the secret Drahk base, he destroys then goes to B5. In the meantime the Drakh attack earth and then begins the crusade. Back on B5, Galen says Vir needs to get back to Centaurri prime, Vir says make Mariel fall in love with me and I'll be able to get back. Then this is where Cpt. Lochley and the Drazi slapping occur. </font></td></tr></table>

I'm curious because even if she was only there until 2268, that would mean she was in command for 5-6 years. Sheridan was only in command for 3 years. It seems she would have more emotion tied to the station than him. However, during his term he did have a much more profound effect on the universe.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It seems she would have more emotion tied to the station than him. However, during his term he did have a much more profound effect on the universe.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is perfectly logical for Sheridan (and Ivanova, Garibaldi, Franklin, Delenn etc) to have a greater attachment to the place than Lochley, and I don't think it has to do with Sheridan & Lochley's relative effect on the universe.

For a significant period of time, having broken away from Earth, B5 was the only place in the universe that Sheridan and the others could consider to be "home".

I would guess (although we haven't seen) that whilst Lochley was in command it was never more to her than her current military posting.

Those with experience correct me if I am mistaken but, as you could be moved at any time, it is probably important not to get too emotionally attached to any posting.

------------------
DaveC
"Let me be the first to say that this is the nuttiest idea you've ever had."

For an officer at Lochley's level staying in the same place TOO Long is a career killer.

B5 is a Plum assignment. So, if she does well there, her very next Promotion takes her into Admiral/General rank.

If she Doesn't get that promotion, she can kiss her career Goodbye because it means someone thinks she Screwed Up.
Big Time.

Time between promotions hasn't been established for the B5 Universe, but any more than 5 or 6 years is Unlikely.

That's pretty much how it works in todays military.
Officers get 3 chances at promotion, one each year after they have served the minimum time at each rank.
If they get passed over 3 times, they are no longer eligible to Be promoted.

An officer who has been passed over can elect to stay in their current rank until retirement or they can resign.
Most resign unless that retirement is only a couple years away.

We don't know how long Lochley had Been a Captain when she was appointed to B5, but if she stays there more than 5 years, you can assume she got passed over at least once.

Her biggest worry: Somone on the Promotions board with a grudge.
Remember that a Lot of people wanted the Job when Sinclair got it.
Some of them may Still be holding a grudge and they could easily have thought She took their Second chance, just like Sinclair took the first.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

I have read the Centauri trilogy and I forgot about Lochley being in it. Thanks for reminding me.
smile.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

Thanks for the good replies everyone.

In todays military how long is usually the minimum time at a particular rank? I imagine it's probably longer for higher ranks.

------------------

Also Lochley was in two episodes of Crusade while she was still Captain of B5. If she took over from Sheridan in 2262 and Crusade started in 2267 she would have already been there for 5 years.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

For officers at the lower ranks, 2 or 3 years is the average time in a particular grade.

It gets longer for higher ranks, but not usually more than 6 years, I believe.

You've got the Minimum time in grade, then the 3 years of eligibility for each promotion.

Of course, someone who gets chosen in the "last chance" round more than once starts to look like a very poor choice to future selection boards.
Plus, as people move Up the ladder they just don't Need as many people, so the competition gets stiffer.

The thing to consider for Lochley is that Babylon 5 was a High Profile assignment.
Her chances of making Enemies are much greater.

And, IMO, she was too willing to "postpone" problems instead of solving them.
Having the same problem (like the Telepaths) blow up in her face more than once looks bad.

She could very well have done just poorly enough to keep herself from getting promoted.

Then, as Babylon 5 became Less important, it might become easier for EarthGov to decide to just Leave her there and forget her.

------------------

There is the added complication that (IIRC) she was selected for the post by the ISA in the form of President Sheridan ("No Compromises") NOT Earthforce.

I think, career-wise, she was in a no-win situation because:

1. She had to deal with resentment from the ranks of generals and diplomats who wanted the position as head of B5 (although how many would still have wanted it after all that had happened is anyone's guess)

2. There would have been a faction of high-ranking officers in Earthforce opposed to Earth joining the ISA, which would have caused Lochley problems because it was the ISA who selected her to take command of B5

3. Earthforce would surely have been aware of her connection to Sheridan, which would have outraged those opposed to what Sheridan did in starting the civil war

4. Likewise those who supported Sheridan's actions would have been sore at her for not doing so.

Doesn't it just seem as though sometimes the universe is not pulling for you ...

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Let me be the first to say that this is the nuttiest idea you've ever had."

My first response to the title of this thread was "yes, please," but then I noticed that it wasn't in the NC-17 forum.

Ah, well.

Um, I just always thought that Lochley was definitely there until Crusade, but left sometime between then and the episode where Sheridan visited before he died (I'm terrible at remembering episode names).

------------------
Struggling writer with a very long streak of bad luck.

Could it be because I'm from Mars?

Well, I suppose it's a pretty good bet that Lochley would be gone by the time of Sleeping in Light.

After all, that's almost 20 Years Later.

She'd be ready to Retire by then.

Even if she Never got another promotion, they wouldn't leave the same person in charge for 20 years.

I'd say 6 or 7 years MAX.

And, even as B5 declines in importance, it's STILL a Commanding Officer billet.
There are always more people who Want a CO job than there are billets for them.

So, either Lochley gets Promoted and leaves, or they find some Really Dead End place for her and put someone New in as B5 CO.

------------------

My fondest memory of Lochley is of her in the holobrothel in River of Souls.
tongue.gif

I thought she was attractive before that but my jaw hit the floor seeing her in that lingerie!

------------------
-----Khurzhor-----

"Farewell friend. I was a thousand times as evil as thou."
-Stormbringer

Well, strictly speaking we don't Know if it's "Poor Lochley" or General Lochley.

We can just be fairly certain that, either way, her tour aboard Babylon 5 shouldn't last much more than 6 years.

She either gets Promoted or shipped off to someplace depressing.

Or, decides to retire and go into business for herself.
Sometime during Crusade, she could decide that she's spent enough time in Earthforce and that she'd rather get Rich.

------------------

Babylon 5 would be the biggest 'ship' in Earthforce. From there the only promotion is to General. There may have been a bigger military base on Earth but following the quarantine that option is closed.

With the quarantine Earthforce can only recruit from the colonies. It would have even bigger problems with supplies such as spare parts.

It is possible that no one in the fleet was getting promoted at this time. They may have even brought in bans on retirement.

I suspect that Lochley would be promoted to General, left in charge of Babylon 5 and given responsibility for some of the surrounding sectors and ships.

This may change after the first cure, depending on whether the quarantine is lifted.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>That's pretty much how it works in todays military. Officers get 3 chances at promotion, one each year after they have served the minimum time at each rank. If they get passed over 3 times, they are no longer eligible to Be promoted. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure which military was being referred to, but that's not how it works in the U.S. Air Force. Once an officer is passed over twice they're pretty well done, however they continue to meet the promotion boards until they separate or retire. I got passed over for Lt Col a grand smashing total of five times.
laugh.gif
Of course, after the first two I knew I had a better chance of being elected President, but they kept sending my records off to be reviewed anyway.
crazy.gif

I can't speak to the other services, but the Air Force only lets commanders stay in place for two years. The rationale is, in addition to trying to keep opportunities available for up-and-coming officers, after two years as a commander your brain is mush.
smile.gif
I can vouch for that personally. I can't imagine being in command of B5 for three to five years. I'd think Lochley would have to be made of iron, on medication, or they'd find her hanging by her fingernails from the ceiling one day.
smile.gif

------------------
Edited for spelling error, oops.

[This message has been edited by fanuilh (edited February 02, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back