• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

BSG 1.12 (Finale Part I) - SPOILERS

Recoil

Regular
I liked it. Can't wait for next week.

One quesiton though, and maybe they will answer this later or even next season. Did they say that it was about 2000 years ago that the 13 tribes left Kobol and founded the 12 Colonies and Earth?

Thats not a lot of time all things considered when you really think about it. Just 2000 years? They obviously had space flight when they left, and yes the 12 Colonies became pretty advanced given they have ships like the Galactica in that time, but given the state of technology that they would have to have had to leave just 2000 years ago, you think there would be less myth and a lot more recorded fact.

Also 2000 years doesn't give much time for us Earthlings. Humans have been on Earth a lot longer than 2000 years, unless they are saying they came down from the stars around the time Christ was born. Maybe thats why they chose that number?

Just curious as to some thoughts on this one. Frankly I would have expected either Kobol to be more widely known and less of a religious myth if it was only 2000 years ago, or for them to have actually left Kobol something like 10,000 years ago. (or have the Gods remove them from Kobol and place them on the colonies for a 10,000 year story where they still had to evolve and develop).

Wonder where this is going...

It could be that much was lost in the process of colonization. I read a story once where it was a given that, regardless of intent, the business of taming a planet would inevitably cause a certain amount of regression in the society colonizing simply due to the non-necessity of their previous history to present survival.

How much of our history been changed almost to myth in just the past few hundred years? I'd be willing to bet that a lot of kids today don't really realize that Daniel Boone or Lewis & Clark were real people. It's hard for me to even grasp that it took courage and strength and daring and *decades* to explore this continent back then when all I have to do is hop on a plane and cross the entire width of it in 5 hours.

Just some idle thoughts...

Jan

Also 2000 years doesn't give much time for us Earthlings. Humans have been on Earth a lot longer than 2000 years, unless they are saying they came down from the stars around the time Christ was born. Maybe thats why they chose that number?

Except that we have no evidence suggesting that the events on BSG are meant to be running concurrently with 21st century Earth. In fact, we really don't even know if the fictional world of the show is meant to be at all consistent with our own reality. It might just be an alternative history of humanity, in some ways similar to "humans" in Star Wars, who don't seem to have a history that meshes in any way with the humans of our own world.

I liked the episode more or less, though I did feel that having Starbuck hook up with Baltar was forced. Unless I missed something, there hasn't been any even remote connection between these two before this to suggest that they'd get together just to have sex. I know Baltar's a slut, but I hadn't seen anything that made me think Starbuck was equally slutty.

I agree. I found it hard to believe too. Even if both of them were equally "slutty", it's still hard to see them being slutty with each other.

I could see Starbuck going for a random military guy if she was horny enough, and I see Baltar going for a secretary, waitress, reporter, or even a junior enlisted woman. They don't make a likely match on their own, and there wasn't sufficient signs of them having chemistry before this episode.

Weird.

I can even see Baltar being willing to hookup with Starbuck, but I just can't see Baltar as being someone she'd approach thinking about getting with. It almost feels as if they needed some way to quickly reveal Starbuck's "hidden" wanting to be with Apollo, and Baltar was randomly picked to be the one she did it with. It still would have worked fine for me had it be with Joe Grunt Soldier with all the focus of the scene being on her after she calls out Lee's name while boinking and having that be a moment of revelation for her personally.

I'm not going to give anything away, but the reason they put Starbuck with Baltar becomes clearer in the final episode. I'll just say that Six is not a happy bunny :devil:

Re: Starbuck & Baltar, I was not at all surprised. If you think back they've been sort of flirting. Remember when Baltar won the poker game against her? Remember the scene, just last week, when she's in an evening gown and he cuts in on Apollo? I think the shag happened after that.
If you watch the deleted scenes for the episode, which are on the Sci Fi website, Baltar actually apologizes to her and she says something like, "I was drunk, it never happened."
I kind of wonder if Baltar's only redemption may be related to Starbuck somehow. Maybe he does have feelings for her and eventually will somehow save her butt at the expense of the Cylons.
I suspect there is much more to that "night" in the future.

The shag did happen right after that dance where Baltar cut in on Apollo. Remember when she bolts from Baltar's room? She was covering herself with that same dress from that evening...

I thought it made sense.. Baltar began flirting with her at the poker game a couple of episodes beforehand, and they'd started eyeing each other in the corridors, so it wasn't exactly unexpected or out of the blue.. I think Starbuck was probably just influenced by booze and her frustration with Apollo, plus Baltar is irresistible to women (bastard :)).

I am mightily glad this particular coupling didn't occur in the original BSG, though :D

I thought it made sense.. Baltar began flirting with her at the poker game a couple of episodes beforehand, and they'd started eyeing each other in the corridors, so it wasn't exactly unexpected or out of the blue.. I think Starbuck was probably just influenced by booze and her frustration with Apollo, plus Baltar is irresistible to women (bastard :)).

I am mightily glad this particular coupling didn't occur in the original BSG, though :D

Too true. John Colicos was far too old to hook up with Dirk Benedict.

Too true. John Colicos was far too old to hook up with Dirk Benedict.

Arrg, mental image :(

Latest posts

Members online

Back