• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Bizzare Cameos?

I caught the Season 4 episode "The Long Night" on cable today, and I was shocked to realise I recognised Ericsson, the Ranger in command of Whitestar 14, who has to sacrifice his crew to trick the Shadows...it was Bryan Cranston, the guy who plays Hal, the father, on Malcolm in the Middle.

And susprisingly, despite knowing that, his performance was still very moving! :)

Anyone else spot any odd cameos?

VB.

Not that it's really a bizarre cameo, but I always liked how Majel Barret Roddenberry guest starred in an episode. It was just nice for her to do that as there are some people that think B5 is a ripoff of DS9, and Star Trek could be perceived as the main rival for B5.

I caught the Season 4 episode "The Long Night" on cable today, and I was shocked to realise I recognised Ericsson, the Ranger in command of Whitestar 14, who has to sacrifice his crew to trick the Shadows...it was Bryan Cranston, the guy who plays Hal, the father, on Malcolm in the Middle.

Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. When "Malcolm in the Middle" first aired, I said to myself, "My gods, Malcolm's dad is Ranger Ericsson!" And I had a lot of trouble _laughing_ at him at first, thinking of the sad yet noble fate he suffers! <g>

Aisling

As a fan of both shows, especially when DS9 found its ground and became a true series, I never saw them as 'rivals'-different time, different people, different story. Kind of like watching your favorite NFL team play then changing channels to watch your favorite MLB team.
Anyway, my favorite cameo, aside from Penn & Teller as Rebo & zootie, was Michael York as the man who thought he was King Arthur.

Cartoonist Scott Adams the creator of Dilbert asking Garibaldi to find his dog and cat (Dogbert and Catbert) in Moments of Transition comes to mind.

I can't remember the guys name, but I believe Major Krantz's sidekick on Babylon 4 during WWE was a New York DJ who was offered the role because of the on-air support he had given the show.

Of course, it was few years ago and I could be way off base.

:p

Cartoonist Scott Adams the creator of Dilbert asking Garibaldi to find his dog and cat (Dogbert and Catbert) in Moments of Transition comes to mind.

Knowing that makes that scene even funnier! :LOL:

And, when I noticed that Ranger Ericsson was Malcolm in the Middle's dad, I kept on expecting he'd start freaking out or something. :p

I can't remember the guys name, but I believe Major Krantz's sidekick on Babylon 4 during WWE was a New York DJ who was offered the role because of the on-air support he had given the show.

Of course, it was few years ago and I could be way off base.

Nope, you're correct. The actor was "Cousin" Bruce Morrow, a New York DJ for many years. I thought that was bizarre the first time I saw the episode, and every time I've seen it since (including last night, the last time I watched it). I keep meaning to ask JMS about that over on the moderated ng - I have to wonder if he was a personal friend, or if JMS had fond memories of listening to him on the radio, and that's why he cast him. It certainly could _not_ have been because of his acting ability... :rolleyes:

Aisling

When B5 premiered I never once, and still dont think of it as a "rip off" of Star Trek. I mean how many times have similar movies with the same themes just happen to come out at the same time? Anyway I was intrigued by how much it wasn't like Star Trek. As for my fav cameo it would have to be Dwight Schultz as Amis in the second season episode "The Long Dark". Star Trek fans will recognize him as Lt. Reginald Barclay from ST:TNG.

Nope, you're correct. The actor was "Cousin" Bruce Morrow, a New York DJ for many years.
I never knew that! I moved from the Northeast to Florida over 20 years ago, but I still remember "Cousin Brucie". I listened to him when I was a little kid...and I'm not saying how long ago that was! :)

I never knew that! I moved from the Northeast to Florida over 20 years ago, but I still remember "Cousin Brucie". I listened to him when I was a little kid...and I'm not saying how long ago that was!

Don't feel bad, Londos6: I was a young thing when I listened to Cousin Brucie - on AM radio! - too. Now you'll have to go and watch your season 3 DVD to give yourself a blast from the past. Watch the scenes with him twice -- first, just listen with your eyes closed. Once you hear the voice as separate from the face, you'll wonder how you never noticed that it was him before.

I have a fairly acute ear for voices (I'm the one in our group who always knows _every_ actor in any animated thing we're seeing, even if I haven't seen the credits first), so I caught that it was him right away.

A weird bit of casting, as I said. :)

Aisling

Hey, don't knock "Cousin" Brucie! He was a pretty cool dude way back when. (Although I think I preferred Dan Ingraham on WABC, and neither of them could touch Murray "The K" over on WMCA. :) )

I was in the audience for a taping of a pilot that Morrow did - let's just say, awhile ago. The show was a sort of proto-"Behind the Music" consisting of live performance taped with an audience, a taped interview and some filmed biographical material. The guests for the pilot were the Four Seasons.

Morrow was supposed to introduce the band at the top of the interview segment by saying something like, "The Four Seasons have had more than two dozen chart singles over the course of a career that has lasted 'x' decades..." But every time he got that far, something would go wrong. A camera malfunctioned, there was a burst of feedback from a mike, a light blew-out with a sound like a gunshot. While they were resetting to try again after the latest fiasco, my smart-ass side took over. I'm a pretty fair mimic and had grown up listening to "Cousin" Brucie, and had also done a number of plays by then and knew how to project my voice. So the next thing everybody in theater heard was "Bruce" saying, "Bruce Morrow has done more than two dozen introductions for the Four Seasons over the course of an evening that seems to have lasted 'x' decades..."

In the darkened theater no one knew where the voice came from. :)

Morrow looked a little annoyed, but Frankie Vallee was about doubled over laughing, and Morrow eventually started laughing, too. The introduction and interview went off without a hitch on the next try, and then we got to listen to the band play for twice as long as they were scheduled to, as a "thank you" for our patience with the technical problems in the earlier part of the taping.

So, Aisling, you ought to remember a few other names from that time and place:

Sandy Becker
Soupy Sales
Wonderama

:)

Regards,

Joe

Hey, don't knock "Cousin" Brucie! He was a pretty cool dude way back when. (Although I think I preferred Dan Ingraham on WABC, and neither of them could touch Murray "The K" over on WMCA. :) )
I would never knock Cousin Brucie! It was just such a blast from the past, and I was surprised that I didn't recognize him. Of course that was a LONG time ago, and I probably haven't seen a picture of him since the 1960s.
So the next thing everybody in theater heard was "Bruce" saying, "Bruce Morrow has done more than two dozen introductions for the Four Seasons over the course of an evening that seems to have lasted 'x' decades..."
That must have been hilarious Joe! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey, don't knock "Cousin" Brucie! He was a pretty cool dude way back when. (Although I think I preferred Dan Ingraham on WABC, and neither of them could touch Murray "The K" over on WMCA. )

I listened to _all_ of those broadcasters back in the day, as well as WYNW's Dick Summers, Imus, Howard Stern from the very first day he started broadcasting in NY, etc. etc.

And, I'm definitely not knocking "Cousin" Brucie as a deejay...just as an actor! Besides how obviously green he was in the role, he looked _awfully_ elderly for a lieutenant. He seemed out of place enough for me to wonder if JMS cast him to fulfill on some childhood hero worship.

Loved the taping story. I'm that kind of smartass (and natural impersonator), too. :)

So, Aisling, you ought to remember a few other names from that time and place:

Sandy Becker
Soupy Sales
Wonderama

I do indeed! What a blast from my past! I only vaguely remember the Sonny Fox years of Wonderama, but I can still sing many of the songs from the Bob McAllister years. Didn't Sandy Becker precede both of them? That would have been before my time, alas.

Where in the NY area did you live, Joe?

Aisling

Oh man, how could I have forgotten Sonny Fox? :) I forget which sequence Becker and Fox were in on Wonderama. Could have been Fox first, then Becker. I lived in the Bronx until I was five, then my family moved 30 miles or so out into the suburbs. Most of the rest of the extended family on both sides stayed where they were, though, and we returned almost every Sunday for dinner with my mother's parents and for all the major holidays until my grandparents moved to Florida in the 80s.

Oddly enough the Four Seasons figure in another memory connected to New York in the time period we're discussing - they were guests on the only other TV show I've ever been in the audience for, although this one was live, not taped. :) They did Wonderama from Freedomland in the Bronx one time, and my parents took all the kids (me, my sister and two sets of cousins) to see the show.

I listened to Imus in his various incarnations between firings in New York, and still catch him on MSNBC sometimes, when I'm up that early and I remember to tune in. (Does anyone remember when he was replaced by the comdey team of Brnk and Belzer? That was Scotty Brink and Richard Belzer, now better known as Det. John Munch from Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: SVU. "The Belz" was then much better known as a stand-up comedian and radio personality. I have no idea what happened to Scotty Brink. ;))

I first heard Stern when I lived in the Baltimore-Washington area for a couple of years, and wondered how a jerk like that ever got his own radio show. When he disappeared from the local airwaves I assumed he'd been demoted to some tiny market somewhere, not that he'd made the big time in New York. I was astonished when I moved back north and found him doing the afternoon drive time show on WNBC. I did sometimes listen to him then, because I only had an AM radio in my car and because that was also all we could pick up inside the office where I was working. One day he was looking for mimics for a "dial-a-date" thing he wanted to do, and at the urging of my co-workers I called in. As a result I was the in-studio guest the next day with him, Robin and Fred, doing my best Woody Allen between commercials, traffic, news and weather. I never got the date, and Stern turned a joke I'd made off-the-air into a bit that he debuted the next day and ran with for a week. Bastard should have sent me a check.

(Fame, fortune and the passage of many years may have changed him, but I found Stern to be a completely different person off the air than he was on. Fairly quite, very polite and attentive.)

Still, my two main memories of the day have nothing to do with Stern:

The first was getting off the elevator at NBC and seeing the doors of the elevator opposite me just closing. I caught a glimpse of a sweater-clad arm and elbow before my view was blocked. As I turned towards the studios an intern or page or something rounded the corner, out of breath, and asked if I'd seen Imus. I hadn't, but I'll bet I know who was attached to that elbow I'd seen. I was very disappointed. I would have been much more excited in those days about meeting Imus than I was about going on the air with the relatively unknown Stern.

That night my mother was in the Bronx visiting her sister. They were listening to the show because my mom knew I was going to be on. (Good thing, to, because Stern decided to make me do the entire show as Woody Allen, and only mentioned my name at the very top and bottom of the segment.) Towards the end of the show my cousin arrived from Long Island - and was stunned to find her mother and mine listening to Howard Stern of all people. She was even more stunned to learn that I was the guy doing Woody Allen. She'd been listening to the show since shortly after it started (and laughing, I'm happy to report) and had no idea it was me. :)

Regards,

Joe

Oh man, how could I have forgotten Sonny Fox? I forget which sequence Becker and Fox were in on Wonderama. Could have been Fox first, then Becker.

Yes, I think it was Sonny Fox first.

We were in Brooklyn until just after I was born, then moved to Oceanside - my parents are still there, but all the grandparents in Brooklyn have since gone beyond the rim.

I'm completely envious that you got to be in the audience for Wonderama! I had an uncle who had business dealings with Don Kirshner, and he was always suggesting to my folks that he get tickets to the show for me and my sister. Well, we were _much_ too young for Don Kirshner's rock concert, and at the time, much more interested in Wonderama! In fact, we used to bemoan the fact that his connections weren't with Wonderama instead...until a few years later when we were old enough to wish Don Kirshner's Rock Concert was still around so we could take advantage of those tickets!

Love the Howard Stern story - and oddly enough, although I hardly listen to him anymore, I know that he does still have a regular Woody Allen impersonator on. I guess he thought that your bit worked pretty well... :)

I have a Howard story, too. One of the first things that happened to me after I moved down to the Philadelphia area is that I won a contest on his radio station. It was before the days of his "do something gross in order to win" contests; all I had to do was answer the phone with "the phrase that pays," and I had won a trip to see the Grammys in LA and sit in on Howard's show. I also found him to be very different off the air than on. Quiet, certainly. Morose and unhappy was how he struck me.

Anyway, it was a fun week, I actually enjoyed the Grammys (this was in 1989, and Billy Crystal was still hosting it), and I got to see a few notable and oddball celebs up close, including Weird Al, Jessica Hahn, Brian Wilson, Steve Allen and Jayne Meadows, and Tina Yothers. A really weird collection of people.

These days, it's NPR all day long while I work. And I'm considering getting an XM satellite radio as a friend of mine has just been hired by them as an on-air personality. She's been talking about them so much, I'm starting to feel like I simply have to have yet another bit of new technology!

Aisling

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back