• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Best kept secret about R1

alex_t

Movie pack DVDs from Region 1 can be played also in regions 2, 3 and 4! So people in Europe can get normal edition!

I've just found out myself! By mistake I put DVD of "River of Souls" into my DVD drive (set to region 2 only) and it played! I checked on another drive (also region 2 only) and it played again. So I tried it with my standalone DVD player (yet again region 2 only) and it also worked!

Now I'm thinking whether I should get season 5 of B5 from US too - since I'm tired of waiting when WHV UK will release fixed "The Fall of Centauri Prime" DVD... (if they will do it at all, and they will send it to me in Germany...)

:confused:

Well, I think most DVD players can convert the video during playback. At least I had no problems (and my TV support NTSC).

Now I'm thinking whether I should get season 5 of B5 from US too - since I'm tired of waiting when WHV UK will release fixed "The Fall of Centauri Prime" DVD... (if they will do it at all, and they will send it to me in Germany...)

:confused:
My region 1 copy of the 5th season is definitely region 1 encoded and will not play on a region 2 player

My region 1 copy of the 5th season is definitely region 1 encoded and will not play on a region 2 player

I have yet to see a Region 2 player that is unable to play Region 1 DVDs. You may have to type a password to activate the feature but it is there.

Enforcing the Regional Coding field on DVDs got the DVD player makers got into very serious legal problems with the European Union. The EU smelt price rising cartel.
http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=eutoinvestigatedv992344826&area=news

Back