• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Best" and "worst" deaths

grumbler

Regular
\"Best\" and \"worst\" deaths

We saw many of the stars and major supporting charactors get "offed" in the series, Who do you think had the "best" death and who the worst?

My vote for "best of show" was Neroon. He got to one-up a superior he dispised, save his planet from a civil war, and save a women whom he admired to boot. And, it was an entirely selfless and avoidable act.

My vote for "worst death" was Talia. She was croaked without warning by people she dispised, and was helpless to prevent it.

Your milage may vary. Thoughts?

Re: \"Best\" and \"worst\" deaths

Best death: Bester's partner in "Mind War."
- When I go, I want to be vaporized - seems quick and painless enough.

Worst death: Ikarran War Machine in "Infection."
- "IKAAAAAAARRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" Don't get me wrong, I love Marshall Teague, but that was just a little over the top.

My favorite death by far is Lord Refa's. The set-up, the music, and the running back and forth before he gets pummeled to death by a bunch of Narns in a cave, as G'Kar walks away . . .

Most cosmic, poetic, ironic coolness? G'Kar and Londo. Most touching? Either Sheridan or Kosh (the first time). Appearing as his father was very nice.

Now, I agree that Neroon, as a person, found a good death, and it was an unfortunate way to go for Talia, but hey, not everyone can have a good death (and I do agree with AnlaShokGrey's cheeky skepticism)

I agree. I think that Lord Refa's death scene was by far the best, with the build up, and intercutting with the worship service, all tied together by the gospel tune... magnificent writing, direction, filmmaking... :D :D :D

I think that Lord Refa's death scene was by far the best, with the build up, and intercutting with the worship service, all tied together by the gospel tune... magnificent writing, direction, filmmaking...

I agree. In fact, that's one of my favorite movies of the entire series.

I can't think of a "bad" death, although I don't think I like Neroon's death as much as everyone else. I like the personal revelation he had at the very end, but I guess I have mixed feelings about the concept of the starfire wheel.

Best: Neroon

(I liked Refa's too, but opted for the heroic vs the unique way Refas was done)

Worst: Tossup between Warren Keffer and Anna Sheridan

I heard that Robert Russler didn't KNOW his character was dying when it was filmed, but damn, that was still a band scream.

I also know that Melissa Gilbert-Boxlightener has some acting skills, but I thought her looking up and that scream was pretty weak too.

The Ikarian machine in Infection was pretty lame as well (for an honorable mention)

Best is Emperor Cartagia. His death was necessary because he was so out of control. We get the humor between Londo and Vir- "How fast is almost? Just long enough for him to stagger back into the room..." We also get a surprise when at the very last second, the assassin is not who we thought it would be. Finally, we get Vir, very drunk and trying to deal with his conscience. Over all very well done.

A very close second is Lord Refa, for all the reasons already mentioned. Outstanding use of the gospel singing while the murder is going on.

Best: Byron, just 'cause he wouldn't be in the show again. :p

Hard to argue with that, but I will....

No, I guess I won't! :LOL:

It wasn't a bad part, and the actor wasn't bad, but the Byron charactor never worked for me. Much the same as the Lochley charactor - caught up in the basic mundaneness (to use a bad pun) of Season 5 after the epic nature of seaons 3 and 4.

Best Death... Neroon
The guy ruled, and he died to end a civil war... you gotta love him for that. ;)

Worst Death... Lt. Keffer
I think he could of took it more like a man when that beam took him out... he cried out like a little girl. :LOL:

Not necessarily the *best* death, but one that ranks high with me that I think might get overlooked (and it has more to do with the person doing the killing than the person dying)...

The death of Karl Mueller by Dr. Laura Rosen in The Quality of Mercy.

It's a very human moment. You kind of hate that Dr. Rosen is put in such an extreme situation that she's forced to take someone's life out of defense. However, you also can't help but cheer a little inside that a murderer got to experience suffering for his crimes while a good person was able to get rid of a disease and buy herself more time to do more good.

To hear Dr. Rosen describe Lake's Syndrome, you see how much fortitude and determination she must have had to endure it, and yet Mueller crumbles with it instantly. In that scene, you can really feel the strength of the Laura Rosen character. To see June Lockheart, the mother of Timmy from the old Lassie shows, take down a murderer is just a very interesting scene.

To see June Lockheart, the mother of Timmy from the old Lassie shows, take down a murderer is just a very interesting scene.

I always thought of her more as "the mother of Will Robinson". :D :p ;)

And I always thought of her as the mother of Jeff, who came before Timmy. I always wondered, if Lassie had to choose between saving Jeff, and Timmy, which would it be? :D Jeff owned 'her' longer, but Timmy was way more helpless.

Kosh's death was best in my opinion. It did had this strange feel that something major just happened and we just don't understand its consequences. Nice.

Kosh's death was best in my opinion. It did had this strange feel that something major just happened and we just don't understand its consequences. Nice.
Yep. I found it interesting that Bruce Boxleitner admitted that he didn't "get" the Kosh dying scene with Rance Howard until he was watching the episode again in preparation for the cast DVD commentary. It was a well-done death for Kosh, mixing the surreal and the mundane so as to make it both mysterious and comprehensible.

I found it interesting that Bruce Boxleitner admitted that he didn't "get" the Kosh dying scene with Rance Howard until he was watching the episode again in preparation for the cast DVD commentary.

I liked the awareness of his comments right after that in the commentary. Something along the lines of:

Of course the fans are all thinking "We've known this for years. Stupid actors." :D

He did seem genuinely a bit excited by the realization. :cool:

Best (tie):
Neroon
G'Kar and Londo
Kosh (as further described in "Invoking Darkness" Chapter 1.)

...and maybe even the guy who got spaced in "The Corps is Mother, The Corps if Father" (just because you know what happened to the guy, waking up to find yourself spaced. :eek:

Worst:

Byron.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back