• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Best actors on the show?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Personally, I see the big three as Mira Furlan, Peter Jurasik, and Andreas Katsulas (who's from my hometown of St. Louis I might add). These three are gifted (to say the least) in the performing arts, plain and simple. Now this is not to discredit any of the other actors on the show. I really don't think anyone is really bad by any means. But Mira, Peter, and Andreas are, to me, as good as it gets.

------------------
"Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

I have to totally agree with your choices of Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas. They are IMHO the cream of the crop. I felt as though Mira Furlan had a tendency to over act kind of like Shatner as Kirk. I also really liked Bruce Boxleitner, Wortham Krimmer and Walter
Koenig. My least favorite-Michael O'Hare.
Thanks
Car

------------------

Hmm... I'd say Jurasik and Katsulas take the cheese easily. After them I'd vote for, in descending order, Claudia Christian, Bruce Boxleitner (excellent performance in Intersections in Real Time, among others), Stephen Furst, Bill Mumy, Jerry Doyle and Jason Carter, with Walter Keonig and Wayne Alexander as my favorite guest stars.

In Crusade, no one had time to really impress me except for Peter Woodward, but Gary Cole and Daniel Dae Kim delievered solid performances, and David Allen Brooks was very eccentric in his role.

In Rangers, so far I really like Dylan Neal and Alex Zahara (with Kafta as the most annoying alien I've ever seen), but the rest of the cast is also quite good. Hopefully we'll see much more of them in the future!

------------------
"We few... we happy few..."
"We band of buggers..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hostile17:
After them I'd vote for, in descending order, Claudia Christian, Bruce Boxleitner

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Runs from the computer looking for "barf bag"... I love Claudia & Bruce....but their acting style is more like "scenery shredding," and you have NO vote for Mira! Great Maker, what's with that?!? I could watch her read the phone book!

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

First of all, in terms of ACTING, you have to consider how well the character was WRITTEN. Some characters were "written" to be preachy. Some actors had little chance of showing the range of what they could do, considering there were few differences in the character throughout the show.

The character G'Kar was well-written, as were the characters of Garibaldi, and Sheridan. However, characters like Zack, Lyta, and Vir were pretty much always written the same way.

That being said, the ACTORS/ACTRESSES who did the most with what they had to work with, in my opinion, are Andreas Katsulas, Stephen Furst, Mira Furlan, and Peter Jurassic, with Jerry Doyle almost making the cut. The people who did the LEAST? Claudia Christian and Bruce Boxleitner.

The oddball in my pick is Stephen Furst, and to be honest, I don't really think you get to see what he's capable of until you watch "Sleeping In Light." Look at the older, more confident Vir in that episode, and see if you see more of the character from the book "Out Of The Darkness."

I don't particularly like the character "Vir," but Furst did an incredible job with what little he had to work with.

Joe

------------------

I don't know all of the actors' names and how to spell them correctly, so I'm just listing the characters:

Best actors (regular cast):

1. G'Kar (big freakin' surprise, right?)
He is both the most intense and most humurous character in the show. Because of the acting, you get the feeling that, while he may be a sneaky, wise-cracking kinda guy, he can explode at any time and be a real bad-ass. The best moments in the show came from him.
Classic G'Kar moment: Londo goes to his quarters to get him to sign an agreement for the ISA. He's all uncomfortable and awkward, and G'Kar is just sitting there giving him the Eye. Londo offers a toast, and G'Kar spills it- purposefully and very menacingly. Bitchin'.

2. Londo
Everyone's favorite sleazeball. Goddamn, I see so much of myself in that character. The actor does a great job of portraying the type of guy that hookers complain about on the cab ride home in the morning. His performance at the end of the series, as he deals with the Drakh, is especially great.

3. Delenn
She is a goddess, plain and simple. The actress does a bang-up job portraying the type of woman we doofy men dream about. She has that strong-but-vulnerable thing down pat.

As much as I like Garibaldi and Marcus, I don't think their roles were as challenging as the above three. The characters were likeable and the actors certainly did a good job- I'd say above-average TV acting. But they just don't compare to the three listed above.

Best actors (supporting cast):

1. Zack
Man, this guy was great! I was always glad to see him. He was the down-to-earth everyman that the show so desperately needed every once in a while, especially when Garibaldi wasn't around to play the part. His awkward speech to Lyta in the elevator in Thirdspace was perfect- how many guys felt embarrassed just watching that?

2. Bester
It's easy to make an audience hate your character. But with Bester, it was more: I mean, I really wanted to step on his throat. The actor went above and beyond creating the second-most arrogant, obnoxious prick I've ever seen.

And now, here's where you get to yell at me:

Worst actors (regular cast):

1. Susan Ivanova
I'm sorry, folks, but she was the weakest link in the B5 chain. Wereas the other actors were able to draw me in, she threw me back out. Either she was overly-straight faced and dull, or she became hyper-insane. I believe "chewing the scenery" is the proper term here. I would say did average TV acting.

2. Sinclair
The Sinclair guy was a very frustrating actor. When he had to do something introspective and melancholy, he was pretty good. He was able to portray that warrior-monkish wise leader thing very well. But when he had to get upset, active, or was in more intense situations, I cringed. Like when he sees Kosh dead in the Gathering- "Oh my God," he says, with as much concern and intensity as a trip to the dry cleaners. His monologue at the end of Infection? *shudder* And the famous flashback scene where he's about to ram the Minbari ship- "No, not like this!" He sounded like he was ordering pizza.

3. Lyta (Oh god, I'm sure to make enemies now)
Much of the time with Lyta, I felt like I was watching an actress act rather than a character in a show. Completely unnatural and forced. She was good when she was mean: blowing stuff up with her brain, making dirty deals with G'Kar and Garibaldi, that sort of thing. But the rest- eh.

Worst actor (supporting cast):
Lorien. Goddamn was this guy annoying.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
I don't know all of the actors' names and how to spell them correctly, so I'm just listing the characters:

Best actors (regular cast):

1. G'Kar (big freakin' surprise, right?)
He is both the most intense and most humurous character in the show. Because of the acting, you get the feeling that, while he may be a sneaky, wise-cracking kinda guy, he can explode at any time and be a real bad-ass. The best moments in the show came from him.
Classic G'Kar moment: Londo goes to his quarters to get him to sign an agreement for the ISA. He's all uncomfortable and awkward, and G'Kar is just sitting there giving him the Eye. Londo offers a toast, and G'Kar spills it- purposefully and very menacingly. Bitchin'.

2. Londo
Everyone's favorite sleazeball. Goddamn, I see so much of myself in that character. The actor does a great job of portraying the type of guy that hookers complain about on the cab ride home in the morning. His performance at the end of the series, as he deals with the Drakh, is especially great.

3. Delenn
She is a goddess, plain and simple. The actress does a bang-up job portraying the type of woman we doofy men dream about. She has that strong-but-vulnerable thing down pat.

As much as I like Garibaldi and Marcus, I don't think their roles were as challenging as the above three. The characters were likeable and the actors certainly did a good job- I'd say above-average TV acting. But they just don't compare to the three listed above.

Best actors (supporting cast):

1. Zack
Man, this guy was great! I was always glad to see him. He was the down-to-earth everyman that the show so desperately needed every once in a while, especially when Garibaldi wasn't around to play the part. His awkward speech to Lyta in the elevator in Thirdspace was perfect- how many guys felt embarrassed just watching that?

2. Bester
It's easy to make an audience hate your character. But with Bester, it was more: I mean, I really wanted to step on his throat. The actor went above and beyond creating the second-most arrogant, obnoxious prick I've ever seen.

And now, here's where you get to yell at me:

Worst actors (regular cast):

1. Susan Ivanova
I'm sorry, folks, but she was the weakest link in the B5 chain. Wereas the other actors were able to draw me in, she threw me back out. Either she was overly-straight faced and dull, or she became hyper-insane. I believe "chewing the scenery" is the proper term here. I would say did average TV acting.

2. Sinclair
The Sinclair guy was a very frustrating actor. When he had to do something introspective and melancholy, he was pretty good. He was able to portray that warrior-monkish wise leader thing very well. But when he had to get upset, active, or was in more intense situations, I cringed. Like when he sees Kosh dead in the Gathering- "Oh my God," he says, with as much concern and intensity as a trip to the dry cleaners. His monologue at the end of Infection? *shudder* And the famous flashback scene where he's about to ram the Minbari ship- "No, not like this!" He sounded like he was ordering pizza.

3. Lyta (Oh god, I'm sure to make enemies now)
Much of the time with Lyta, I felt like I was watching an actress act rather than a character in a show. Completely unnatural and forced. She was good when she was mean: blowing stuff up with her brain, making dirty deals with G'Kar and Garibaldi, that sort of thing. But the rest- eh.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GKarsEye,

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on Sinclair for one reason - this isn't a "normal" human being, but a "damaged" character, and those always make the most interesting characters (at least to me). After the Battle Of The Line, Martian food riots, and no telling what else, the excitement of the moment will tend to lose its appeal. And in my opinion, the close of "Infection," with Sinclair and Garibaldi, is perhaps one of the most true-to-life exchanges between best friends you'll ever see. I can't see how that makes you shudder. If you want to see a weary warrior, Sinclair is it. And after what happened at the Line, he SHOULD be a weary warrior.

I agree with you on Lyta, Lorien (in my opinion the WORST character in terms of how he was written and the character that was far and away my most hated in the show), and Ivanova. Although I like the way Ivanova was written, I don't think Claudia Christian did a very good job of portraying her.

Joe

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Classic G'Kar moment: Londo goes to his quarters to get him to sign an agreement for the ISA. He's all uncomfortable and awkward, and G'Kar is just sitting there giving him the Eye. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it any wonder that it's exactly where my current avatar is from?
laugh.gif
Brilliant stuff, just brilliant.

OK, my 0.02 credits' worth.

1. No question about that - Andreas Katsulas. For all the reasons already mentioned in the posts above. Damn he's a good actor - why he hasn't got wider recognition (or a true chance to show off his talent apart from B5) is a mystery for me.
Sure, he got great material to work with, but it does take a great actor to bring all that potential to life.

2. Peter Jurasik. Again, no surprise here.
lol.gif
He took what was potentially a ridiculous character and made him the true tragic hero.

3. Now it gets trickier... Actually, I am inclined to say Bruce Boxleitner. He made me hate Sheridan with a passion.
laugh.gif
And I think - I'm not absolutely sure about this but almost - that it was the character I couldn't stand, not the actor.

As for the rest... they all had good moments as well as bad ones. While I must admit that Mira Furlan is a good actor and her work was generally way above average, she had - for me - far too many overacting or 'cringe' moments.

Same goes for Pat Tallman, even though Lyta was by far my favourite female character. I found Claudia Christian's acting generally good - but she had less to work with than some others.

Re: Lorien... well, he may have been annoying, but Sebastian was IMHO just brilliant - and bringing successfully to life two such very different characters is a true testimony of Wayne Alexander's acting abilities.
smile.gif

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:

Re: Lorien... well, he may have been annoying, but Sebastian was IMHO just brilliant - and bringing successfully to life two such very different characters is a true testimony of Wayne Alexander's acting abilities.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kribu,
Dark Archon will be laughing at me now for sure, but I'm terrible with names and faces, and although I'm sure he's told me before, I can't associate Lorien and Sebastian. The two can't possibly be the same person to me.

Sebastian was an INCREDIBLE character, and now that you've mentioned him, it brings to mind a question:

You know, we've heard time and time again about the allies that the Shadows left behind. HOW COME WE'VE NEVER HEARD HIDE NOR HAIR OF THE FOLKS THE VORLONS LEFT BEHIND?

Did Sebastian go beyond the rim with the Vorlons? What's going on over on the Vorlon homeworld right now?

This really needs to be addressed. Think JMS might be willing to give us a few more books, movies, another series or ten, etc.

The best stories make you want more, so there's no doubt where this one ranks.

Joe

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on Sinclair for one reason - this isn't a "normal" human being, but a "damaged" character, and those always make the most interesting characters (at least to me). After the Battle Of The Line, Martian food riots, and no telling what else, the excitement of the moment will tend to lose its appeal. And in my opinion, the close of "Infection," with Sinclair and Garibaldi, is perhaps one of the most true-to-life exchanges between best friends you'll ever see. I can't see how that makes you shudder. If you want to see a weary warrior, Sinclair is it. And after what happened at the Line, he SHOULD be a weary warrior. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait, now you're talking about the character Sinclair. I certainly do like the character a lot. But we were talking about acting. Michael O'Hare is the guy's name, right? Soem of his acting moments made my laugh- at him, not with him.
The speech at the end of Infection I was referring to was not w/ Garibaldi (like I said, those quiet introspective moments is what he was good at). I was thinking of when he was facing the armored baddie and giving his diatribe on how they wiped out everybody, etc.

The thing with captain actors is, Boxleitner was better at the high-intensity action-flick moments, while Sinclair seemed more comfortable with the dialogue-ish stuff.

For example, possibly my favorite Sheridan moment was when he convinced Kosh to send in Vorlon ships against the Shadows. "Up yours!" Great, great stuff. I don't think O'Hare could have pulled that off.
Also, look at both of their interrogation episodes: Sinclair when he was captured in the VR thing, and Sheridan when he was captured by Clark's cronies. IMO, Boxleitner did much much better as the bad-ass tortured guy.

------------------

Well I think all the actors were very good (with the exception of Lyta. Pat Tallman was okay)

It's so hard to choose, but I guess it's a tie between Andreas Katsulas and Mira Furlan. Both of them have the greatest instincts and the widest array of abilities. I don't understand why some hav esaid Mira over-acted. I think people just aren't used to real drama in television, or just ahve a problem with drama. Anyway... both actors knew what was right for every scene and played each and every scene...well, beautifully. I only hope I can learn to be as good as them
smile.gif

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

Wait, now you're talking about the character Sinclair. I certainly do like the character a lot. But we were talking about acting. Michael O'Hare is the guy's name, right? Soem of his acting moments made my laugh- at him, not with him.
The speech at the end of Infection I was referring to was not w/ Garibaldi (like I said, those quiet introspective moments is what he was good at). I was thinking of when he was facing the armored baddie and giving his diatribe on how they wiped out everybody, etc.

The thing with captain actors is, Boxleitner was better at the high-intensity action-flick moments, while Sinclair seemed more comfortable with the dialogue-ish stuff.

For example, possibly my favorite Sheridan moment was when he convinced Kosh to send in Vorlon ships against the Shadows. "Up yours!" Great, great stuff. I don't think O'Hare could have pulled that off.
Also, look at both of their interrogation episodes: Sinclair when he was captured in the VR thing, and Sheridan when he was captured by Clark's cronies. IMO, Boxleitner did much much better as the bad-ass tortured guy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GKarsEye,
If there's one thing that O'Hare couldn't do it's show ANGER. Anger came across as weariness, which, to me, is consistent with the character.

Likewise, Boxleitner couldn't show despair. It came across as defiance.

Let's face it - looking at the characters, Sinclair had essentially lost faith in everything he believed in, whereas Sheridan's belief in himself was so overpowering that losing things didn't really matter to him. Garibaldi walking out on Sinclair would have torn Sinclair up, whereas walking out on Sheridan, well, get Zack down here because we've got a job to do.

I agree that O'Hare couldn't have played the scene with Kosh that you mentioned. However, the scene at the end of "Infection" (Garibaldi/Sinclair) couldn't have been done by Boxleitner.

Perhaps because I love the character "Sinclair" and despise the character "Sheridan," it's easy for me to say that I'd love to have seen "Sinclair" in those situations with Kosh, in command of the WhiteStar during battles, seceding from Earth Alliance, talking with Lorien on Z'ha'dum. I can't say that I'd want to see Sheridan trying to calm Londo in "Midnight On The Firing Line," saving Delenn in "Soul Hunter," sitting with Sakai, complete with resigned look on his face, in "Chrysalis."

While the character "Sheridan" might have made a better fit for seasons 2-5, I think those seasons COULD BE done with the "Sinclair" that O'Hare portrayed. I think some of them would have been fantastic, although the scenes would have been much different.

Then again, I absolutely adore the character "Sinclair."

Joe

------------------

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I TOTALLY disagree with this. While I personally thought Lorien was a good character, I can see how others may not have liked him. But lets keep in mind folks that the thread is about the BEST ACTORS(resses) in the show. I think the actor, Wayne Alexander, protrayed Lorien exactly as JMS wanted. I think he did an excellent job as Lorien. I can back this up pretty easily too.

I have always thought that the best, one-episode, performance from a supporting actor was Wayne Alexander when he played Sebastian (the Inquisitor) in 'Comes the Inquisitor.' GOD he did an amazing job in that episode, and you can tell from it the guy is a GREAT actor. After seeing his performance here, I have no doubts that he pulled off Lorien EXACTLY as JMS wanted. The guy had talent people, and IMO was the best guest actor to ever appear on the series. Like I said before, his Sebastian performance was amazing.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Hard for me to judge that acting because the writing is so great.

You really have to consider the following:
1.Which characters have the most "over the top" traits?(playing someone over the top is much easier than playing a straight forward character.)
2.Which characters are the most straight forward?(see #1.)
3.Which characters have the best scenes together?(sometimes actors seem to perform better when they're paired with an actor that compliments their style.)
4.Which characters on paper seem dull but come off on screen as interesting(always a good sign of good acting.)

I don't have any real opinion. I could take the time to judge each actor one by one but that would take me hours(if I was going to be as accurate as possible.)

I will say that none of the actors(recurring/regular/main cast etc) are bad actors.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

Here's my candidate for Simultaneouisly Best And Worst Guest Actor:

The guy who was the Soul Hunter in the episode of the same name and G'Kar's uncle. Very dumb as the SH, very cool as G'Kar's uncle.

So what is the moral of this post?
Narns kick ass.

------------------

Here's my candidate for Simultaneouisly Best And Worst Guest Actor:

The guy who was the Soul Hunter in the episode of the same name and G'Kar's uncle. Very dumb as the SH, very cool as G'Kar's uncle.

So what is the moral of this post?
Narns kick ass.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GKarsEye,

Didn't Ta'Lon also have another role? Again, another Narn that kicks ass. Ta'Lon was a great character who we didn't get to see nearly enough of.

Joe

------------------

I don't get why so many people don't like Sheridan, though. The dude got the job done, and he kicked ass.

I think you guys are just jealous that he got the pretty girl.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me assure you, from the bottom of my heart: I am not jealous of Sheridan for winning the heart of Delenn.
laugh.gif

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

Unfortunately I have never seen any other performances by Mira Furlan. I would like to, because as Delenn, she made me suspend disbelief and live with the story... even in the most unlikely cases. She asked the questions in a manner which made me consider, and smiled in a manner which made me smile back. Given that this has not occured in other cases, I seriously doubt if you should trust my judgement in this matter.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

joe, I don't know. I'm not as good at the Actor Game as some of the others around here. I would guess the actor played other roles- it's easier that way. Ta'lon is certainly an ass-kicking Narn. Cutting his palm with the sword because it has to draw blood before he sheaths it? Very bitchin'.

------------------

Picking favorites is a very subjective pastime. I think Andreas Katsoulis' portrayal of G'kar was the top performance taking in the entire show.

Also he played so well off Peter Jurasik and they made each other look better. The wrong choice of actor for either of those characters would have been a disaster.

Mira Furlan learned her craft in Europe where the acting style is somewhat different but when you consider she played the whole first season as a Minbari (no hair) I can't think of any American actress who could have done better. Also there was a chemistry between her and Bruce Boxleitner which made their love story completely believable.

I didn't think Jerry Doyle acted particularly well in the first two seasons but he got progressively better as his part was ratcheted up.

I thought most of the rest of the cast were well chosen for their parts. None was outstanding but they did the job as it was written and the show never decended into farce from bad acting. (Well, maybe one or two little scenes.
tongue.gif
)

I think the Sinclair/Sheridan discussion will remain with us until the tapes run out and we've all gone beyond the rim.
lol.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back