• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Best actors on the show?

Interesting subject that could get a lot people talking
laugh.gif
Any way my favorites are Claudia Chritian and Mira Furlan.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
Didn't Ta'Lon also have another role? Again, another Narn that kicks ass. Ta'Lon was a great character who we didn't get to see nearly enough of. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

W. Morgan Sheppard played the SoulHunter and again as WarLeader G'Sten. However, I always remember him as Data's "Grandpa" in ST:TNG.
wink.gif

Marshall R. Teague played Ta'Lon and before that Nelson Drake in Infection. In Crusade he also played Captain Daniels in The Long Road.

There may be more, but that is all I could dig up for now.
smile.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Rangers Sponsor List
Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice. --JMS

i have to go with Mira. i don't think she over acted at all. the only times she could be accused of that are when the sence calls for a high emtion. i think too many actors underplay those sences for fear of being called overactors.

After that i would have to say:

Peter and Andreas, they were great and worked wonderful together.

------------------
"I don't want anyone's pity. I don't need anybody's pity. All I know is that I am tired of being controlled. Controlled by others, by fear, by my past, by what everybody else expects of me and it's enough." -Garibaldi-

Andreas Katsulas was definitely the best. He really *became* G'Kar. Peter Jurasik as Londo would be a close second.

Overall, there were no bad actors on the whole show, but to get downright picky there were several times that Claudia Christian, Michael O'Hare, or Bill Mumy would deliver a line that just didn't work for me. Also, Mira Furlan may be a great actress, but there were several times that either her strange facical expressions or her quivery weeping voice got on my nerves.

But again, no overall bad performances in all of B5. Even the support cast, recurring actors, and *most* of the guest stars were above average (except maybe in the 1st & 5th seasons). For a reasonable-budget sci-fi show that struggled for broadcasting throughout its existence, Babylon 5 had relatively excellent acting from top to bottom.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Garibaldi walking out on Sinclair would have torn Sinclair up, whereas walking out on Sheridan, well, get Zack down here because we've got a job to do.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, be fair: Garibaldi and Sinclair were good friends before the timeline of the show, so of course both captains treatment of Garibaldi are different. My guess is, if Sinclair had been captain in season 5, Garibaldi may not have started drinking again.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I agree that O'Hare couldn't have played the scene with Kosh that you mentioned. However, the scene at the end of "Infection" (Garibaldi/Sinclair) couldn't have been done by Boxleitner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Some of us just place greater emphasis on different parts of a show, I guess. I'm the type who tends to dwell on the grand, epic, intense moments: the Whitestar crashing into Z'ha Dum, Sheridan facing down Kosh in the hall, leading his forces against Clark, threatening to throw Bester out an airlock- this is the kind of stuff that Sheridan was good at. Your mind may stray more on the personal moments, the character driven things. That's cool, we all bring different things to the table.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> While the character "Sheridan" might have made a better fit for seasons 2-5, I think those seasons COULD BE done with the "Sinclair" that O'Hare portrayed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, definitely. Heck, it was probably designed to be that way earlier on.

I don't get why so many people don't like Sheridan, though. The dude got the job done, and he kicked ass.

I think you guys are just jealous that he got the pretty girl.
smile.gif

Recoil, I stand corrected. Yeah, the actor was fine. As I was thinking of supporting characters, Lorien came to mind and my fingers leaped to the keyboard to express my annoyance with him.

"Tick-tock" Shut up, you old alien wind-bag.

But, like Byron, Lorien was supposed to be kind of obnoxious.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Recoil, I stand corrected. Yeah, the actor was fine. As I was thinking of supporting characters, Lorien came to mind and my fingers leaped to the keyboard to express my annoyance with him.

"Tick-tock" Shut up, you old alien wind-bag.

But, like Byron, Lorien was supposed to be kind of obnoxious.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GKarsEye,
I think perhaps my greatest disappointment with Lorien was that Garibaldi never levelled him. And if you think *WE* were annoyed with Lorien, 50 credits says Garibaldi would have been the first to volunteer to punch, as you so eloquently put it, the "old alien wind-bag."

Joe

------------------

why is it every time i post in a topic it seems to die?

------------------
"I don't want anyone's pity. I don't need anybody's pity. All I know is that I am tired of being controlled. Controlled by others, by fear, by my past, by what everybody else expects of me and it's enough." -Garibaldi-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:

Mira Furlan learned her craft in Europe where the acting style is somewhat different but when you consider she played the whole first season as a Minbari (no hair) I can't think of any American actress who could have done better. Also there was a chemistry between her and Bruce Boxleitner which made their love story completely believable.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acting is acting....Mira has had classical theatrical training. Oddly enough I think Jursik & Katsulas have both performed in theatricial productions. There is a different 'mind set' when doing a play as opposed to film or TV. There is a flow....a beginning to end theme. In film the flow is different...taken by scene. I do not think all actor's can make the jump from one medium to the other.

And Mira's acting was the only thing that I found conviencing to make the love story work. Bruce's acting has "levels' but no depth. One thing that is taught in traditional acting classes are objectives...
breaking everything down into beats. The super objective of a character is in essance
their motive....what the author hasn't given. Bruce's objectives never seem to get any deeper than what is on the written page.

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

Andreas Katsulus would be my pick for best actor.

My pick for worst actor is Tracy Scoggins as Lochely. I could not stand her. My friend referred to her as the Thigh Master Lady.

Although Andreas Katsulus is my choice for best actor I can't leave this post without saying that I love Jerry Doyle and the character of Garibaldi. He always made me laugh and I thought that Jerry Doyle did a great job.

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.

I have to agree that Andreas was the best, especially compared with the Tomalok character from TNG (although the nose should have given it away, someone had to tell me they were the same actor).

Peter was a very, very, very close second, and I base a lot of that on the scene where he was told that it was Morden behind Idira's death, not Refa. That one scene portrayed more emotion than I've ever seen in a scene and I FELT his anger and frustration, almost to the point of tears... I loved it when Morden got his comeuppance shortly afterward (and later with Vir's waving... note my image).

But I truly feel Mira Furlen was the third best actor. She protrayed ALL emotions throughout the series, as both a full Minbari and one that didn't know quite what she was. She could show compassion, understanding, love, grief, anger, and many more emotions (not all human BTW) all very convincingly. In many ways, I feel her character was the hardest to play, but she did an excellent job in playing it. I just loved it when she sashayed sideways out of a room, and she's a character I could have fallen for... she reminded me in some ways of Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca," another one of my favorite leading ladies. I would love to see her in something else (without the bone), but I haven't found anything else easily rentable.

I agree with much of the back and forth discussions about O'Hare and Boxleitner. The former had a hard time showing emotions and the latter had a hard time not showing them (especially that annoying grin in S2).

The rest of the supporting cast was pretty damn good, but had their problems. Both Claudia and Richard Biggs had their share of overacting in the beginning, trying too hard, but that happens in the beginnings of most series (just look at TNG). I'm still trying to make up my mind about Pat Tallman... sometimes she was spot on, othertimes she came across as a valley girl. And Stephen Furst (along with Billy Mumy) probably grew the most in acting ability during the series... once I realized what he was doing, Furst did the best Woody Allen imitation I may have ever heard... whether he was doing it consciously or not, it was hilarious! And the way the show ended, when Sheridan saluted what was basically B5 TNG from the White Star, made me long for more episodes... if not directly, at least through Crusade. Let's just keep our fingers crossed we can see some of it through a LOTR series!

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lovegaribaldi:
Although Andreas Katsulus is my choice for best actor I can't leave this post without saying that I love Jerry Doyle and the character of Garibaldi. He always made me laugh and I thought that Jerry Doyle did a great job.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lovegaribaldi,

I'm with you on this one. Jerry Doyle brought the character of Garibaldi to life - perhaps even moreso when, according to rumors I've heard, he walked into the audition and said, "Hello; my name is Jerry Doyle, and I'm here to audition for the part I'm going to get," at which someone (I believe it was JMS) replied, "That's Garibaldi."

The critical draw for me into any movie, TV show, or book is an interesting character which I can believe in. For B5, that character was Garibaldi. He didn't trust other people easily, and he'd disect any attempt at misdirection with statements and questions that were little more than subtle traps intent on proving then intended misdirection, giving him reason to "take off the kid gloves." To me, Garibaldi was easily the most BELIEVABLE character in the series - meaning you're most likely to run into someone JUST LIKE HIM one of these days.

Jerry Doyle's performance cemented that character into a critical piece of the story for me.

Joe

------------------
Joe Vancil
joev@joev.com

"All right, fine; you look for them. Me? I'm going down there, and maybe I'll bust some heads, and maybe they'll bust mine, but nobody sells out my people like this. Nobody."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wipster:
. I just loved it when she sashayed sideways out of a room, and she's a character I could have fallen for... she reminded me in some ways of Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca," another one of my favorite leading ladies. I would love to see her in something else (without the bone), but I haven't found anything else easily rentable.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wipster, Mira movies are few and far between other than Eastern Europe. The best one to find is called When Father Was Away on Business. It was a big international hit in 1986. The film was up for a Ocsar, and Mira won the Yugoslavian equivement of he Academy award for her performance. Her most recent film, Dear Video was directed by her husband, and that was in 1999.

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

Thanks FlarnChef, I'll do some checking and keep you posted if I find a good source!
wink.gif

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

My top choice for the best actor on the show is Andreas Katsulas, without question. He made you feel what G'Kar was feeling. His eyes alone showed his wide range of emotions. I don't know why he hasn't been more widely recognized as an actor either.

My second choice would have to be either Peter Jurasik or Mira Furlan. I think Jurasik's performance had a lot to do with his interaction with Katsulas. Most of the time he made you want to hate Londo, but there were other times when he made you sympathize with him or laugh at him.

Furlan was the perfect choice to play Delenn. There was something about the way she carried herself. She expressed herself very well in terms of the anger, sadness, hope, or happiness that Delenn was feeling.

------------------
Coach: It's the damnedest thing. I've been shivering all the way over here.
Diane: Well, Coach, you don't have a coat on. It's thirty degrees outside.
Coach: Oh, thank God. I thought I had malaria.
-Cheers

Does anyone know if When Father Was Away On Business is available on region 1 DVD?

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I can't really begin to guess which of the actors was the best. I think almost all of the actors that played major characters played them well, Bruce, Jerry, Mira, Peter, Andreas, all of the major cast.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

There are many threads here that say that Andreas is the best actor with Jurassik being the second. Now I completely agree that they are the top two actors, but for my money, I go with Peter. His character went through a much a higher range of emotion than G'Kar on the overall. G'kar went from profiteering nationalist to enlightened philosopher. Londo went from remorseful nationalist to power-hungry politician to weary leader all under manipulation. To me G'kar was deep down always a good guy (even in season 1), while Londo really had to fight hard the inner demons to shine through as a good guy and still didn't quite succeed with many people. I still also can't think of any character in TV that has made me laugh more than Peter Jurassik playing Londo.

I also have to give recognition to Jerry Doyle because he is not an actor by trade. He was a Wall-Street suit for ten years before he decided to take up acting. I think that the writing for his character really when great in tandem with Jerry's personality type.

Mira Furlan is a great actress, I seem to have heard that she has received some sort of academy award equivalent in Europe for best actress twice.

Actors I didn't think much of were Stephen Biggs, Stephen Furst, and Claudia Christian. Biggs was soap opera all the way, Furst was pretty much Flounder (Animal House) with a Centauri wig, and Christian was just bad and the blooper videos confirm that.

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

I'd have to vote for Mira Furlan. But they all were great. I liked them all, seriously.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

There were also a number of great guest stars.

Most notably, Wayne Alexander did great jobs both as the Vorlon interrogater and as Lorien, not to mention the various other minor roles he played throughout B5.

Also, Wortham Krimmer (sp?), who played Emperor Cartagia, nailed the role, and made the character a memorable one.

------------------
"Big, freaky cereal boxes of death." - Buffy, Doomed
blackstar@welivefortheone.b5lr.com | BlackStar's Gallery

As far as guest stars go, I always enjoyed seeing Marshall Teague as Ta'Lon. I was glad that he returned after "All Alone in the night" and given a name. Too bad we never saw how he did as G'Kar's replacement on B5.

I also liked Damian London as the Minister. I thought he was funny and was a very unique character in the sense that he didn't seek power or have any evil agenda. He was one of the few truly 'good' characters. I pitied how he died, as he didn't deserve what happened to him.

Another character that I wished we had seen more of was Lou Welch. He seemed to be pretty close to Garibaldi, and even wanted to kill Jack himself for what he did. Too bad his character just faded away. I thought David Crowley did good with the chance he was given.

------------------
Coach: It's the damnedest thing. I've been shivering all the way over here.
Diane: Well, Coach, you don't have a coat on. It's thirty degrees outside.
Coach: Oh, thank God. I thought I had malaria.
-Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back