• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Bend it like Beckham (possible spoilers)

AerynSun

Regular
This movie is about soccer, which I know nothing about but it wasn't focused directly on soccer. It's about a Hindu Indian girl who lives in the UK and wants to play soccer (called football there) but her parents won't let her but she does it behind their backs. It's funny and shows some of the Hindu culture. It was really good, Everyone should go see it.

I am quite curious to see what the American viewing public make of this. For one Football (soccer) hasn't really had a big following there since USA '94 (how many Americans know what that was)?

I suppose that most people in the US don't even know who Beckham is (and this is no bad thing, just greatful he has buggered of to Spain now). It is indeed a funny movie and true to asian culture. It was filmed in my area, the park in which the play football is just down the road and I pass the big blue water tower every day on my train journey into work. If you enjoyed this catch East Is East, this is even funnier and at times also very tragic.

"Soccer" is just the slang abbreviation for the proper and full term "Association Football". Oddly enough, as six year olds we used to call it soccer, but it is now more commonly known as footie when you want to abbreviate it. I don't understand how practically the whole globe adores it, yet the US doesn't. I mean, with their level of investment in training programmes they could probably have a top ranking side within 10 years.

The aforementioned Beckham who has now been transferred to Real Madrid, has been given the shirt number 23 because it is thought that he can be used to crack the US market.

I mean, with their level of investment in training programmes they could probably have a top ranking side within 10 years.
They are:

FIFA World rankings (25th June 2003)

1 Brazil
2 France
3 Spain
4 Argentina
5 Netherlands
6 Germany
7 Turkey
8 England
9 United States
10 Czech Republic

All because most of the country couldn't give a rats arse about it doesn't mean they don't have a decent football team.

I don't understand how practically the whole globe adores it, yet the US doesn't.{snip}

The USA likes to win every year. In more than one sport there are things called "World Series" that only North American teams are allowed to enter.

I liked the show,I just don't like the tittle....Why should Beck's name appear in a place that he didn't do a thing in(I don't think I understand what I just wrote)

FIFA World rankings (25th June 2003)

1 Brazil
2 France
3 Spain
4 Argentina
5 Netherlands
6 Germany
7 Turkey
8 England
9 United States
10 Czech Republic

That can't be right! Where is Italy? They have got to be ranked higher than Turkey for goodness sakes!

I liked the film a lot, with its clash of cultures. Some very funny scenes.

I liked the show,I just don't like the tittle....Why should Beck's name appear in a place that he didn't do a thing in(I don't think I understand what I just wrote)

Beckham is a top football player. He is well know in Britain, Europe and Japan. His name in the title probably resulted in the film an audiance 10 times as large. He also represents the level of still the girls want to have.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back