• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Before, During, or After the teep war?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
bakana:
They essentially crippled their writers with a long list of things they Couldn't _DO_ with an idea. Like solve a problem with something other than Technobablle. Like write a story that made a Difference to future episodes. The famous RESET Button.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, may be, you are right. But for example in Voyager the most ideas were stolen or put it mildly "borrowed".
smile.gif
Only few episodes has a idea, which I already not have been red before. It's very sad.
And the problem with RESET button. IMHO it's a feature. It's one big advantage for not regular viewer and bid disadvantage for fans.
crazy.gif

And the money issue. For some point of view it's a big problem. Somewhere I have red, that budget for B5 it was 800,000$ but for Voyager it was 2,000,000$. If some show has more money, many thigns could be better, like CGI, casting,... BUT not the ideas. Ideas in the show are IMHO more or less idependent with budget. So, the conculsion.
Many viewers want only watch the show, don't think about the show. For these viewers, B5 is not a good show. These viewers are majority. And big TV companies create shows for majority. And this is a problem.
frown.gif

------------------

Getting back to the original question of this thread: Rangers, is it before or after the teep war?

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I thought someone mentioned this awhile ago. Lyta is dead by the time Rangers starts. And Lyta died in the teep war. So Rangers would have to be after the teep war, I think.
</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Actually it is the other way around. Because there were indications that the movie took place after the Teep War it was assumed that associated events had already taken place. This mostly came up in relation to which characters would be available for the TV movie and series.

I could swear JMS posted something where he explicitly said that the TV movie takes place after the Teep War in 2265, but I haven't had time to go through every one of his posts, and my searches on JMSNews have either been so narrow that they could easily miss a relevant post, or so broad that they return hundreds of possible messages. Of course, I could also be wrong about this.
smile.gif
Or maybe (like Valen's children) JMS did say this either because he was protecting a plot point or because he changed his mind between the original post and the finished version of the story.

I've posted a question about this on the newsgroup, but so far he hasn't answered.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
I could swear JMS posted something where he explicitly said that the TV movie takes place after the Teep War in 2265, but I haven't had time to go through every one of his posts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

And I found this...

"The fifth season ends in 2262.
The telepath war: 2264/5.
Crusade: 2267."
jms

As we know, the Rangers movie takes place in 2265. So, the events in the movie will either take place during or after the latter part of the Teep War.

------------------
Be seeing you

Yes, that is what I thought. I'm not sure what Joe thinks was turned around. I thought Rangers took place after (or near the end of) the teep war.

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

The message I received was from someone who was at the Gathering in Vancouver. He said he had specifically asked JMS whether the Ranger movie took place before or after the Teep War and the answer was "just before".

Unfortunately I've deleted the message so can't quote it but I think the writer's name was .....Christos. It was on the legendoftherangers list so either I've gone nuts or someone else must have received it.
shocked.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>He said he had specifically asked JMS whether the Ranger movie took place before or after the Teep War and the answer was "just before".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that can't be literally correct. The Rangers movie can take place before the end of the Teep War, but if it takes place in 2265 then it can't take place before the start of the Teep War - which is in 2264. (Unless JMS has changed the chronology.)

Maybe JMS misunderstood the question and thought he was being asked, "Does the Teep War come before or after the movie." In that case "just before" make sense.

BTW, according to the Psi Corps trilogy the IA did intervene to some degree near the end of the Telepath War. It is one of the many things Bester holds against Sheridan. The book doesn't indicate why this happened, or how, but a reasonable hypothesis would be that the war spilled over beyond Earth-controlled space, or that one side or the other attempted to enlist the support of aliens, thereby giving the IA a reason to take action.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The book doesn't indicate why this happened, or how, but a reasonable hypothesis would be that the war spilled over beyond Earth-controlled space, or that one side or the other attempted to enlist the support of aliens, thereby giving the IA a reason to take action. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, some part of Earthgov might have asked for the intervention. Remember that at least Part of PsiCorps backed Clark. As part of the Teep war, these Teeps might have begun blackmailing some of their old supporters who survived the aftermath. If it looked like another Coup was being set up, Sheridan and the Alliance might have been the deciding factor in preventing it.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

There have been some hints that JMS may be "reserving" the Teep war for a seperate project.

If so, even if there is an overlap in the timelines, he would probably not say much about the war in Rangers. After all, it would come under the heading of "internal conflict", something the Rangers would not normally be involved in.

OTOH, if JMS were to decide he Wanted to clear up a few loose ends, he could do so in a Flaxhback story if he needed to.

Too many possibilities to resolve.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
The message I received was from someone who was at the Gathering in Vancouver. He said he had specifically asked JMS whether the Ranger movie took place before or after the Teep War and the answer was "just before".

Unfortunately I've deleted the message so can't quote it but I think the writer's name was .....Christos. It was on the legendoftherangers list so either I've gone nuts or someone else must have received it.
shocked.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am also on that mailing list and debated Dennis Kristos' statement since it didn't make sense to me. That was pretty bold of me since I would say Dennis is pretty good about his B5 facts in most cases. Besides, Dennis has since retracted his statement and has conceded that the Rangers movie happens -after- the Teep War.

Still, this issue may not be resolved unless JMS explains it publically or until we get to watch the movie.
wink.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

Find what excites you, and do it. Follow your joy; the rest will take care of itself.
--J. Michael Straczynski--

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back