• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Battlestar Galactica Eps 1 & 2

Heh thats right, I forgot its almost done with S1 in the UK. Guess we need 2 types of spoiler posts in there. UK Spoiler, and US Spoiler. :p

I don't know about others in the UK... but for me, after years of disregard from so many Americans, it's so tempting just to go and spoil the show everywhere! But then I hope that most UK people are like me... that makes us no better, so we bite our tongues as it were and keep quiet. :)

It's official: premiere night kicked everything else's ass on cable; smashed Enterprise too, hehe.
The Zocalo has the ratings breakdown on his website.
Wheee!!

Jendia

I don't know about others in the UK... but for me, after years of disregard from so many Americans, it's so tempting just to go and spoil the show everywhere! But then I hope that most UK people are like me... that makes us no better, so we bite our tongues as it were and keep quiet. :)

hehe ... preach it Brother !

:D

Dunno Antony. I don't think its a disregard at all. And frankly, if you or others posted UK Spoilers in here, I just wouldn't read the thread. I don't see what the big deal is. The people that tend to bitch the most about people posting spoilers are the people who just can't fight temptation and have to read whatever is typed, even if they don't want to know.

Me, I could easily not read one more word about this show until the entire season is over, and not think twice about it.

So whatever floats your guys boat. :)

Dunno Antony. I don't think its a disregard at all. And frankly, if you or others posted UK Spoilers in here, I just wouldn't read the thread. I don't see what the big deal is. The people that tend to bitch the most about people posting spoilers are the people who just can't fight temptation and have to read whatever is typed, even if they don't want to know.

I don't think that's what Antony's talking about. I think he's talking about when people drop spoilers into a discussion without any warning. In that case, it's not a matter of temptation, because you didn't know what you were about to read before you read it. The worst is when people put huge spoilers into thread titles, like "Darth Vader is Luke's father". (that one's fair game, since I think everyone knows by now)

Maybe, but thats just idiotic. If people do that, they should just be banned from posting or something...

Nonetheless, I've seen it happen many times. Most of the time, the perpetrator doesn't realize what he's done--figures everyone who might be reading has already seen the show/movie in question. But occasionally, you get these idiots who actually do it on purpose to get their jollies. Of course, these people tend to get banned fast, but there are some forums, like the Sci-fi boards, that appear to be completely unmoderated, so there's not much that can be done.

One of the worst examples was three years ago when someone posted gigantic spoilers for the final four of Farscape Season 3 in thread titles over at the Sci-fi boards, and kept doing it over and over. (Those who have seen Farscape Season 3 know just how momentous the events of the last few episodes are.)

On another Board, when Harry Potter Book 5 came out, we had all agreed to have a spoiler free week for the first week, and someone who wasn't a regular poster there came on and threw out the name of the person who died, with absolutely no warning, while I was still not even halfway done (about 3 or 4 days after the book was released), and that happens quite late in the book.

Generally it's merely a matter of not understanding the timing difference of different countries getting things later, but, sometimes, it's pretty obvious it's on purpose.

There's also the problem that there really isn't any universal rule for what kind of spoiler requires a warning. Even leaving aside the fact that people in different countries get things at different times, there's the fact that not everyone watches everything right as soon as it comes out. There are people today who are just starting to watch B5, as well as just about every movie or TV show regardless of how old it is. So what kind of discussions require spoiler warnings?

IMHO, anything with a twist ending should have a spoiler warning, regardless of how old the movie/TV show is (although there are a handful of exceptions, like the end of ESB, because the twist is so much a part of our cultural consciousness, that only people who've been living in a cave don't know about it). Other kinds of plot points can be more ambiguous. There are certain things that might deserve a spoiler warning when the movie/show is new, but might not after it's been out for a while.

A friend of mine, who has not read the Lord of the Rings books, but did watch the movies, was quite miffed when, in the spring of 2002, he happened to read the Lurker's Guide page for "Z'ha'dum", and, in discussing the fate of Sheridan and the similarities with Lord of the Rings, [Big spoiler for THE TWO TOWERS] they spoiled the fact that Gandalf comes back to life. Of course, when Steven Grimm wrote those words on the Lurker's Guide years ago, he probably assumed that it would be silly to include spoiler warnings for a literary classic. But you never know. Not everyone has read everything out there, and different people have different ideas about how spoiler free they'd like to be.

As Chris said, it's people who just spoil in the middle of things.

I was at ISN once, and was just reading about B5 stuff, then it was "24 season two takes place after the death of Jack's wife". I was in the middle of season one.

And the ex-friend who once messaged me, while I was watching season five, "They killed Buffy!"

There's many different levels of this. There's the people who put spoiler warnings, and are considerate. There's those that spoil by accident. There's those that put spoilers not so much by accident, but didn't consider it important (and they are often apologetic if you tell them). There's the worst element, the arrogant element. I've come across numerous people who have basically said that because it's aired in the US, the country of production, it doesn't matter anywhere else. So it's that sort that I'd love to seek out and then spoil the fuck out of the show for them. :)

It's actually amusing, the simmering annoyance when many people write about BSG and how we got it first. I think this really does change things. And I say, more of it!

My best spoiler:

"The only good thing about Titanic was when they killed of child-face Caprio at the end".

My friend was not impressed...

I had the ending to Sixth Sense spoiled. So, when I finally watched it, I spent the entire movie trying to guess if would have surprised me or not.

But see, here's why there are shades of gray in this Ant. In your last post, in listing examples of things that were spoiled for your, you include spoilers for Buffy Season 5 and 24 Season 1 without any spoiler warning. Now, of course you have good reason for doing this, as both of these first aired years ago. But are there countries in the world for which they *haven't* aired? Are there people who might be reading this thread who haven't seen them, but might want to watch the series on DVD some day? Where does one draw the line wrt including warnings?

The line that was drawn for this forum was the current and previous season for US TV.

No one would expect no one to mention anything ever. I think common sense just has to be used, really. No one would claim there is a hard and fast rule. And Brits I don't think would claim about a spoiler years after the fact. Many Americans don't care at all, it could be that evening and they'll do it before anything has a chance to be transmitted abroard. A couple of years later, the onus is more on the viewer to stay out of trouble as it were.

OH my god, Chris, those 2 pictures had me HOWLING!! It's as bad as Jerry Doyle vs. Bruce Willis!!

Thanks for sending!!

Jendia

Hey, cool tidbit: on the different forums related to BSG I've been reading, again and again (even on Aintitcool.com), folks are saying it's the best sci-fi since Babylon 5!!!

Jendia

Re: Battlestar Galactica (Season 2)

Saw this on IGN:

More Scripts Ordered; Series 2 Looks Good:

As reported at IGNFF and elsewhere weeks ago, six scripts for a second series of Galactica have been ordered. Additionally, reports have surfaced that the sets have not been struck and a date of February 18th has been given as a possible date for production to resume. The first season has already been announced for release on DVD on December 28th, 2005, which could move if it were to tie in to the premiere of a second series. Stay tuned.

Jendia

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back