• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Batman Begins (SPOILERS)

Marketing or mistake?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Batman Begins

I just read at imdb that Bale, Caine, and Freeman have all just signed to the sequel. Katie Holmes won't be in it though. Apparantly, they're upset about all of the media attention she's gotten with Tom Cruise. They felt it took attention away from the movie. Hell, it still took in like $46 million on its opening day, and I think it's still tops at the box office.

I just read at imdb that Bale, Caine, and Freeman have all just signed to the sequel. Katie Holmes won't be in it though. Apparantly, they're upset about all of the media attention she's gotten with Tom Cruise. They felt it took attention away from the movie. Hell, it still took in like $46 million on its opening day, and I think it's still tops at the box office.

Excellent.

Holmes' character wasn't essential, I wouldn't care either way if she's in it or not.

If the whispers of Oldman also signing on are true, then that's all the essential characters.

Let me be clear, Burton's and Nolan's views on Batman are totally different, the former taking the more comic book, cartoon style; the later the more realistic, dark style. Both have their merits and I do not compare them.

Nolan's Batman was incredible and I agree that the Joker in this version should be wildly psycotic while remaining hyperintelligent. My point about Nicholson is that he accomplished that even in the style Burton shot in...why?...because he's Nicholson and is somewhat psycotic in everything he does.

As for not killing off Scarecrow, that is important in that they're not killing off all the villians, leaving fewer and fewer each film the way other franchises are doing. This leaves more room for good stories and so villians can return if needed. Ras Al Ghul, according to the comics, cannot die. We did not see him die, so he, too, could still return.

Never trust anything at IMDB, BTW folks. It is NOT an industry trade and only goes by submissions of information, even rumor. They haven't even found out yet if Nolan or Goyer are returning for a second film. My guess would be that Bale, Caine and also Freeman were all signed onto contracts that optioned them for a second film. Most likely Oldman was as well.

This could all be moot, however, if Nolan and/or Goyer decide not to return and the cast bolts. Any sequel is still in the very, very early stages of talk, so don't lay anything down in concrete.

Far more important than some of the cast returning is whether or not Nolan and Goyer return. This was very much their vision. Like X3 (which will most likely suck) the franchise could find itself in serious trouble if the visionaries behind its new direction decide against returning.

Bottom line...it's doing well now and will continue to do so; has gotten great reviews; and will definately have a sequel. The rest is up in the air.

Before turning my attentions to any sequel, I look to the 28th, when WAR OF THE WORLDS finally arrives. According to one online critic who was at the Japanese premiere, old Spielberg is back with a vengeance!

CE

Katie Holmes won't be in it though. Apparantly, they're upset about all of the media attention she's gotten with Tom Cruise. They felt it took attention away from the movie.

Yea, like anyone is going to remember what that media attention was even about by the time the sequel comes out.

Katie Holmes won't be in it though. Apparantly, they're upset about all of the media attention she's gotten with Tom Cruise. They felt it took attention away from the movie.

Yea, like anyone is going to remember what that media attention was even about by the time the sequel comes out.

Meant to remark on that myself. That rumor that her media attention pissed off anyone and that's why she wouldn't be back would be...well...BS.

Hollywood doesn't work that way, folks...media attention is media attention...period. No one was pissed at her.

If the character is back and she wishes to return, I'm sure it would happen.

The only times that media attention might piss off film producers and suits is when it's bad press...like if she had been caught molesting some 13 yr. old boy or something.

But her and Cruise? Pulease! That's good press and they were most happy to get it.

CE

There would be a disadvantage to Holmes not returning- they producers would feel they need a love interest and they'd get someone else, thus repeating the revolving-door girl syndrome of the last Batman franchise.

Of course I think there shouldn't be any love interest in the next one, but they'll never have the balls to do that.

CE, why do you think X3 will suck? Mostly same cast + Phoenix story = potential at least

I saw this movie last night, and thought it ROCKED! I enjoyed it a LOT more than the Star Wars movie.

Highlights:

* Great development and backstory
* Bale was awesome as Batman, and did a good Bruce Wayne.
* Oldman was so awesome, that I didn't even know it was him playing Gordon. I love actors that can play parts so different and disguises so well that you don't know who they are.
* Cain and Freeman delivered great performances
* Was cool having Rutger Hauer as the corporate sleezebag.
* Loved how they used the Scarecrow to start off all the weird criminals that will emerge in Gotham.
* Neilsen was great in his role as well.
* Loved the stalking scenes, when Batman is tracking down the thugs.
* Soundtrack was intense and really delievered in this movie.
* "Car" chase scene was well done as well.

Bad things:

Not too many actually

* Katie Holmes. Can't stand her. The reason being is she is NOT an actor who can play a role different than she has done before. Sorry, but in so many seqences I kept thinking "This is Joey talking to Dawson."
* Gotham was TOO Recognizable as Chicago

That last one is going to seem like a weird complaint. Especially because I have always thought Gotham City was supposed to represent Chicago. Something about Chicago being an older city with older and more gothic architecture in it than any other city. I thought of Gotham as Chicago the same way I think of Metropolis as New York. Thats just how it feels.

That being said, it was almost too recognizable and took a bit away from it for me. It didn't really jump out until about half way though, when they had an overhead shot, featuring MY officebuilding, the AT&T corporate center, which has the two large spires on it. Granted, great building for Gotham because of that but to me it was a bit recognizable. Also the car chase scene. I found myself saying "OK and now hes jumping over the Dearborn street bridge. There he goes down Lasalle, and of course the down below area couldn't be anything but lower Wacker. I also think I saw the Watertower in one of those arial shots.

All in all though, it was a great movie and I think it did an excellent job of STARTING the franchise, which none of the other movies did. Im not big on Batman's true history to know WHO really was supposed to kill his parents. I know in the Tim Burton version it was the Joker. I just know I liked how this version was done and everything seemed to work for me.

Can't wait till the sequel comes out. Dont care of Katie Holmes is in it or not.

CE, why do you think X3 will suck? Mostly same cast + Phoenix story = potential at least

I think the director (who had never directed a major motion picture, but was liked by someone or other important) bolted, and suddenly a new director had to be found for X3.

I have no idea if that's what CE was concerned with (or part of his concern) but I read that from the Patrick Stewart mailing list I belong to. :D

The guy behind the first two X-Men movies bolted to do Superman. The script was apparently written in six days after he left to keep on schedule. When the next director quit they quickly hired the Rush Hour guy without giving him any time to make changes. The studio seems so determined to finish X3 on time that nothing else matters.

I never say Dawson's Creek so I don't have the same Katie Holmes problems others do. I will say in her defense that she appeared to spend her time between takes in a walk-in freezer. I half expected her to be some glass-cutting villain in a sequel.

Having the actors back would be good but I think Nolan may be the most important. He could get a decent script out of someone and you would avoid the Schumacher trap.

Oh man, you guys have the sweet monorail train thingy? :)
It's funny you say that. See, in the opening parts of the movie, it didn't look like Chicago at all, and obviously we don't have a monorail like that. It wasn't until just before the car chase that it REALLY looked like Chicago. But even with your joke about the monorail...Chicago DOES have an El Train that runs through the entire loop area that is not all that different than the one in the movie...just only 1 story above the ground instead of like 5. So even that was somewhat similar.

Since the human body is 70% water wouldn't that microwave emitter end up killing everyone? This has been bugging me since I saw the movie.

I don't think this is what the movie makers had in mind, but here is my the-movie-was-good-so-i-will-invent-a-silly-excuse-for-it's-mistake.

I would say that it was a unidirectional beam and that they had it directed at the water pipes underground, so those people standing above ground wouldn't have been hit.

Yea, I think that it would have been like a real nasty tanning salon, if they pointed it at a person, but they only pointed it at the water.

Ah the microwave thing should of cooked humans and the water. It wasn't directed just emiting all around. Now other major plot hole is that anyone who boil water would of released the gas, or even maybe taking a shower could take the gas out of the water.

Now on Ra al ghul , dunno why he would take a intrest in bruce wayne so early. He was just a spoiled punk kid who happened to be a billinare. That had started some fight training and go thru the criminal underbelly. Why would he draw the attetion of Al ghul other than his parents thwarted one of Al Ghul previous attempts.

Now al ghul motives while his over all goal is of a natrulist trying to purifiy the earth cleanse it of the over indulgence of humans. And his intrest in batman was for someone to be a successor. (yeah was hinted at the intrest for a successor) Though Batman drew the attetion after he had established himself as a intelegent detective, with fighting skills to match. The movie version had him being semi intelgent and some fighting skills but not the detective skill set or alot to draw attetion to him.

Latest posts

Members online

Back