• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR's competition

Re: B5LR\'s competition

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I've seen many people come to Super Bowl parties who have no interest in the game.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. A girlfriend a couple of years ago tells me, "We should totally have a bunch of people over for the Superbowl!" This chick hated, HATED football. After my shock wore off, she explained that she understood that she had no prayer of garnering my attention during the Superbowl, so she figured she might as well have a little party. Half the people that were there didn't care about the game (the female half). It was lots of fun.

Don't worry about the game on the at the same time as the Rangers movie. I really do think it's true that most people interested in one are not interested in the other.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

For me at least there is no competiton with the rangers movie I don't like football

------------------

Rangers is up against football.

Unless a minor miracle happens, this is probably it for the B5 franchise...
frown.gif

Sniff.

I'm going to be optimistic, though...

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Rangers is up against football.

Unless a minor miracle happens, this is probably it for the B5 franchise...
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SciFi has to know that going up against a football playoff is an uphill battle. Hopefully the showing will still be strong and show up even more so against it.

Or perhaps I could brew up an interference spell with the satellite feed for the game... hmmm, what network was that again?
tongue.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
I've seen many people come to Super Bowl parties who have no interest in the game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, as a social event I know lots of people get involved who don't watch football during the season. That can be a lot of fun.

I live in Texas however, where football in all its varieties is the semi-official state religion. lol... They take it as seriously as I take my Sci Fi. More power to 'em, it's just not my particular thing.

Hence, my traditional Super Bowl Matinee day...
laugh.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Channe, take heart. There are a Lot of us who wouldn't tune in a Fooball game on a Bet.

There will be others who don't care about the Teams.

And all those people who might tune in because the football game has preempted some Other show they might have watched otherwise and because this is the Only New Show playing opposite the game.
Reruns vs New??
Which would You choose?

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

LOL, bakana...

Sorry, I've just seen so many shows I like perish when pitched against the God of Football. I don't want Rangers to join them.
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Technomage Roanna:

Or perhaps I could brew up an interference spell with the satellite feed for the game... hmmm, what network was that again?
tongue.gif

Ro

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blackout every channel except Sci-Fi and The Weather Channel.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I think Channe has a point, though. Look at all of the sports fans who post to this site. And assuming that "Sci-Fi knows..." seems like dangerous thinking to me!

I do intend to write a letter or two after "Rangers" airs. One to Bonnie Hammer, and another one to anyone the "Save Crusade" website mentions or suggests. Or one to someone anyone here suggests. It's easy enough to change a line here and a name there and send the same letter out twice.

I am not assuming the "shirts" know that Rangers is pitted against a very heavily watched sporting event. But I'll mention it in my letter. I admit, though, I only watch sports when I'm visiting my family, and then I'm usually trying to read a book while they are trying to explain the game to me! *SIGH*

Time will tell. I go back to work tomorrow, so it's 12 days from that. We'll see what January 19th brings.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited January 06, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I think Channe has a point, though. Look at all of the sports fans who post to this site? And assuming that "Sci-Fi knows..." seems like dangerous thinking to me!

I do intend to write a letter or two after "Rangers" airs. One to Bonnie Hammer, and another one to anyone the "Save Crusade" website mentions or suggests. Or one to someone anyone here suggests. It's easy enough to change a line here and a name there and send the same letter out twice.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad idea. I'll do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:

I am not assuming the "shirts" know that Rangers is pitted against a very heavily watched sporting event. But I'll mention it in my letter. I admit, though, I only watch sports when I'm visiting my family, and then I'm usually trying to read a book while they are trying to explain the game to me! *SIGH*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know whenever I go over to certain people's houses, a football game will be on if it's at all possible. If not, a baseball game is on. 99.9% of the time, I ignore it, because I couldn't care less who wins. The trouble is .... then you have to do something else to keep occupied, or risk going into a coma.
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 06, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
...I ignore it, because I couldn't care less who wins. The trouble is .... then you have to do something else to keep occupied, or risk going into a coma.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean! And I just wish they'd all let me read my book (the first of the Technomage trilogy, at the moment). But my mother always tries to "include me" whether I want to be "included" or not.

For someone who hates sports, it is torture equivalent to forcing opera-hating people to not only sit through an opera, but to listen to you try to "explain" it to them!
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I know what you mean! And I just wish they'd all let me read my book (the first of the Technomage trilogy, at the moment).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't do that, because it'd be "rude."

But my mother always tries to "include me" whether I want to be "included" or not.

For someone who hates sports, it is torture equivalent to forcing opera-hating people to not only sit through an opera, but to listen to you try to "explain" it to them!
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does have a lot in common with torture, doesn't it? You're not allowed to doze off because that would be "rude" as well. Argh, I'd rather get my teeth drilled without novacaine (sp?). At least, that would be liven up the old nerves, and something constructive would be getting done in the process. I don't "hate" sports. I just find almost all of it to be BORING.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Don't worry about the game on the at the same time as the Rangers movie. I really do think it's true that most people interested in one are not interested in the other.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be so sure about that. You'd think that on a B5 message board, almost all of the posters would want to watch the first original B5 programming in 2 1/2 years as soon as humanly possibly, yet several posters to this thread have already said that they'll watch "To Live and Die in Starlight" after the game, even if their team isn't playing.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
Don't be so sure about that. You'd think that on a B5 message board, almost all of the posters would want to watch the first original B5 programming in 2 1/2 years as soon as humanly possibly, yet several posters to this thread have already said that they'll watch "To Live and Die in Starlight" after the game, even if their team isn't playing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's only a 2-hour delay. In this day and age of VCR's and TiVo's, I've grown accustomed to timeshifting everything I watch. It's no big deal.

Nielsen publishes the percentages that people videotape different programs in their ratings "pocketpieces". It's documented that few people tape sports or news programs for later viewing, but dramas are taped the most. For whatever reason, it's part of human nature.

Just because I don't see a theatrical film the opening night, doesn't mean I don't want to see the movie. It's just no big deal to wait.

It's not anyone on this board you have to worry about. Hardcore B5 fans will see one of the three airings. The group that will make the difference between low ratings and great ones are casual viewers and non-viewers of B5. How much do they like football and will they make the effort to time delay?

You won't find the answers to that in any of the posts here.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Look at all of the sports fans who post to this site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only seen a couple besides me. It may feel like more because I'm loud, obnoxious, and annoying, so it feels like I'm 4 people.
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Seriously, now there are more people posting about how they dislike sports and how it's torture.

The stereotype holds: sci-fi and sports usually don't mix.

I'm an exception. I guess I'm easily entertained. I love sci-fi, sports, and opera.

Oh gosh, can you imagine putting them altogehter? Like a renegade spaceship being invaded by fullbacks hurling basketballs and armed with hockey sticks, and the dialogue is sung by a fat soprano space captain.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
I've only seen a couple besides me. It may feel like more because I'm loud, obnoxious, and annoying, so it feels like I'm 4 people.
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Seriously, now there are more people posting about how they dislike sports and how it's torture.

The stereotype holds: sci-fi and sports usually don't mix.

I'm an exception. I guess I'm easily entertained. I love sci-fi, sports, and opera.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got two of my nieces interested in watching B5/Crusade/B5:LotR. Their dad is a bigtime football fan. I'll give you one guess who rules the TV on 1/19, and all during football season, ... the football fan.

If I wasn't taping it, they'd never get to see it.

Oh gosh, can you imagine putting them altogehter? Like a renegade spaceship being invaded by fullbacks hurling basketballs and armed with hockey sticks, and the dialogue is sung by a fat soprano space captain.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like something for TNT fans. [FIREDevil emoticon]

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 06, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I'll give you one guess who rules the TV on 1/19 and all during football season, the football fan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's the way it should be, dagnabbit!
tongue.gif

------------------

If they ever find a way to combine TV sports and opera, I'm leaving the planet.
shocked.gif

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

One detail that may have been left out.

Rangers isn't just going against an NFL Primetime Football game, they are going against an NFL Primetime PLAYOFF game.

This could be a good thing or a bad thing. Some regions whose teams aren't in it, probably won't tune in. On the otherhand, as things get closer to the Superbowl, more people may be tuning into football. There is a reason there is so much advertising during the Superbowl, its one of the most watched events of the year. And I would have to assume the playoffs will be drawing tons of viewers as well...

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

For one, I hate the stereotype that sci fi fans don't enjoy sports. In fact, I can't stand most stereotypes in general. I love sci fi because it's probably one of the most intelligent genres out there! But I also love sports, and just because I love sports doesn't mean I'm not also intelligent. That's another dangerous stereotype. As for the NFL's threat to B5LR, I still insist it's not a problem. Sci fi is a business. If Rangers is to become a series that's a major business decision. I 100% guarentee they are aware of every possible threat to it's ratings and will take everything they can into account. That is simply what good businesses do, assess a situation in its entirety taking into account all the variables.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back