• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR TLaDiS review that pi**ed me off...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Now, I don't think that everyone should agree that B5LR is as absolutely brilliant as it will undoubtably be, but I found this to be a little extreme (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS):

Cinescape Article on B5LR

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
Struggling writer with a very long streak of bad luck.

Could it be because I'm from Mars?

[This message has been edited by Martian Male (edited January 18, 2002).]

It annoyed me, too. I get so sick & tired of people who seem to have so much against B5. I never realized how bad all the anti-B5 stuff could be until I got online. What *really* is so bad about the B5 saga? I just don't understand all the vitriol.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Oh dear...
crazy.gif

The last couple of reviews make it sound as about the worst telemovie ever. Yet some who have seen it don't seem to think that.

I guess it really just depends on your expectations... and not everyone likes the same things.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

It smells of bias from the first paragraph, when the reviewer claims jms is covering his ass in case the series isn't picked up by refusing to call it a pilot. Life can be so convenient for those who don't have to worry about real, actual facts.

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

Yeah, I don't remember any CYA on the part of JMS. He always says it's a pilot for a series, if the series gets picked up.

Maybe the movie is just weak. Just because someone slams, doesn't mean he's biased. The reviewer seemed to have nothing against B5 itself, just didn't like the movie.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Wow. Is this guy off the mark with the show's background. It's always been seen as a backdoor pilot. Jeezus.

This review makes Glen Oliver's look like daisycakes.

I know summer-stock actors who are better than some Hollywood performers I've seen on-screen (and some who would be better use as lampposts). I've directed them both. No other comment here until I see the movie.

One of the things you submit to when you go into B5 are the very theatrical speeches and pontifications... I like them...

*crosses fingers, as usual*

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Two comments:

1) This review contains a lot more spoilers than most of the other reviews out there. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read the review.

2) I'm really sick of professional websites like Cinescape not knowing the difference between the apostrophe key and the question mark key. In this case, all the bogus question marks really cut down on the readability.

apostrophe: '
question mark: ?

Is that so complicated'
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Springob (edited January 18, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
Is that so complicated'
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>IIRC, it's one of the dreadded copy and paste from Word bugs.

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
2) I'm really sick of professional websites like Cinescape not knowing the difference between the apostrophe key and the question mark key.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would guess that depends on your browser encoding/character set. All the apostrophes looked fine to me.

I agree about the spoilers though - it might be a good idea if Martian Male or Deviot (or one of the Presidents) edited the original post to warn people. I would call it the most spoiling review so far.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 1) This review contains a lot more spoilers than most of the other reviews out there. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read the review. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops!
blush.gif

Guess that goes to show how angry I was.

------------------
Struggling writer with a very long streak of bad luck.

Could it be because I'm from Mars?

Ok, do you hate the article because its a bad review or do you honestly have a beef with the article itself. I read the damn thing twice and I don't see what the problem is. He gave a brief snippet of the storyline and then critiqued what he saw. And he made it clear that what he saw wasn't good. As far as the article itself goes, its probably the best well-written review of B5LR yet. As far as being angry because the guy didn't like the movie, how do you know he isn't right until you actually see it for yourself? Is it JUST possible that a reviewer can actually watch the movie and simply not like it? Must we continue to come up with conspiracy theories like "he was biased all along," or "he's obviously a JMS hater" ...etc.? Maybe the guy just thought it sucked, pure and simple.

~PT~

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

I make a point of never reading reviews until after I've seen the show, especially in the case of Joe's stuff. I often find reviews either useless or so biased that I just assume the person has an axe to grind. *shrug* I'd rather watch it without someone else's preconceptions rattling around in my head.

------------------

I really DON'T want this movie to suck like that article says....but that's no reason to get pissed.

I'll put it this way....I thought "River of Souls" kinda sucked....but it was watchable. Even the worst B5 was watchable in my opinion.

I can watch the worst Sci Fi EVER. I even watched this movie once with Rod Roddy Piper....or what ever the hell his name is...bad stuff...but I sat through the whole thing.

As long as will smith doesn't come in and save the universe at the last minute....I can stand it.

------------------

I for one say, just blow off this review.. In reading it, you CAN see that the reviewer has some kind of axe to grind against the B5 universe.

I for one, am looking forward to tommorow nite!

Thanks!

------------------
A lady came up to me on the street, pointed at my suede jacket and said "Do
you know a cow was murdered to make that jacket?"
"I didn't know there were any witnesses", I replied " Now I'll have to kill
you too.."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martian Male:
Now, I don't think that everyone should agree that B5LR is as absolutely brilliant as it will undoubtably be, but I found this to be a little extreme (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS):

Cinescape Article on B5LR

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I'm not going to read even one word of the article, until after I've seen the movie, from what's been discussed above, I do find it interesting that it comes out the day before the movie, I guess in hopes of getting people to pass on the movie, and in doing so hurt the ratings.

When I do read the article, after the movie, if I think the author was off the mark or deliberately trying to hurt the ratings, I will write to Cinescape and blast 'em.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Shit!!! I've read the review. Now I know what the hell is coming!!!

Oh well, I read the episode sypnopsis of every episode before I saw them and still enjoyed anyway.

------------------
May the light of the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha protect you.

May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

KoshN, the Cinescape reviewer obviously hates B5. I hate reviews where the reviewer goes in with an agenda. If the go in fresh, without any preconceived notions, I don't have a problem with them, even if they criticize what they are reviewing. But this guy obviously wanted to spend the whole review telling about how stupid he feels B5 is. He is an insult to his profession.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

There are several assumptions and mistakes in the review such as Crusade being cancelled (which is more like JMS pulling the plug). Which I sent an e-mail about, he seems to have a problem with fans of B5 though (or perhaps the genre). So I doubt I'll get a response. I mean he insults us with an assumption leading onto a strawman attack.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Oh dear, I just read some of the review until it began revealing stuff regarding the plot so I quit carrying on with it.
I don't believe in the conspiracy theories but the reviewer obviously has an overall dislike for B5 to the point where his views were not objective.
He really wants this pilot to fail miserably and I wonder what he thought of the Enterprise pilot?

------------------
'I plan to live forever, or die trying' - Villa Blake's 7

Anyway...you should all know better.

In my mind..cinescape has always also been known as "star wars / x-files magazine". Those who used to subscribe know what I'm talkin about.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back