• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR on tvguide.com

BlackStar

Beyond the rim
I'm not sure if this has been posted before. If it has feel free to close the topic, Deviot.

Anyway, I just payed a visit to tvguide.com and found B5LR on the front page, under the main article.
http://tvguide.com/

------------------
"Get out of my way, or by God I'll shove you out the airlock!"

Notice that the reviewer says he's a newcomer to the B5 universe. I would guess that if this is anything to go buy, it does show that the movie is good for pulling new people in - just as it's supposed to do.

I know that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but so far it does seem that the reviewers who have hated the movie have expected it to be like B5, if not directly then at least subconsciously.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Actually, I remember TV Guide being good to B5 in the past. When TNT picked up season 5, I remember it being on the cover. At the time, I had no idea what B5 was, but I do remember Lochley on the cover.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then your memory's playing tricks on you, because the only B5 cover that TV Guide ever did (which, as you say, came just after TNT picked up Season 5) was Sheridan, Ivanova, and Garibaldi. This was before Claudia Christian walked out, so they hadn't hired Scoggins yet. Thus, she couldn't have been on the cover.

------------------

IIRC the screenies that were in TV guide were from "Endgame" from Season 4...

I remember because I was on vacation in Panama City, Florida and I stopped in a Convenience store and saw the cover as I checked out.....I breezed through it as I waited for my change...

I think it was July of 1998....

------------------
I also hang at Firstones.com....:)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:
"This is the best television show ever made."

I think that about sums up TV guide's look at B5.
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not exactly, given that it's from an article Scott "Dilbert" Adams wrote about his experiences on the B5 set, not the opinion TV Guide itself.

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
Not exactly, given that it's from an article Scott "Dilbert" Adams wrote about his experiences on the B5 set, not the opinion TV Guide itself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange, it is quoted as being from TV guide on the Thirdspace novel as well as the A call to arms book. Would think if TV guide did not agree as a whole (majority at least) that they would complain at use of the quote without context.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

That was a really good review, balanced and fair. It drew attention to a few problems but the reviewer ultimately enjoyed the movie.

Hope you all enjoy the movie tonight.I don't know when I will get to see it here in the UK, but I look forward to reading all the comments tomorrow!

------------------
'I plan to live forever, or die trying' - Villa Blake's 7

Finally, a positive review. And one from a real source.

------------------

Actually, I remember TV Guide being good to B5 in the past. When TNT picked up season 5, I remember it being on the cover. At the time, I had no idea what B5 was, but I do remember Lochley on the cover.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

It is not a surprise when this is what they had to say about B5 -

"This is the best television show ever made."

I think that about sums up TV guide's look at B5.
laugh.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

I agree. The article criticized B5LR in a constructive way, while still remaining positive.

Two thumbs up to TV Guide!

------------------
"Get out of my way, or by God I'll shove you out the airlock!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackStar:
Anyway, I just payed a visit to tvguide.com and found B5LR on the front page, under the main article.
http://tvguide.com/
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to be gone. Is there a better URL or does someone have the text they can post?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ala:
It seems to be gone. Is there a better URL or does someone have the text they can post? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was sorting through my mounds of email that I have recieved in the last few days and found a direct link to the article I believe is what you are looking for. Enjoy!

TV Guide Article

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

TVGuide has always seemed to be pro-Babylon 5... one particular article I enjoyed (and kept a copy of) was from 1998 when B5 was going to end. There was a large spread photo of Sheridan, Delenn, G'Kar, Londo, and Garibaldi riding one of those extra-long bicycles... G'Kar was in the rear with his feet on the ground and appeared to be protesting.
smile.gif

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

Careful saying 'always.' Back on the Usenet newsgroups, folks used to complain about TV Guide's anti-B5 attitude, around the time of The Gathering and the first few seasons. There was some thought that the magazine's reviewer just had it in for the show. I don't know if that's true or not. Things gradually got better, and by the time season 4 rolled around, TV Guide could usually be relied upon to cover B5 stuff when it happened.

As for Adams' comments -- they were in TV Guide, so the attribution's technically accurate. The magazine as a whole doesn't really have its own opinion -- they don't do unsigned editorials, and even the Cheers and Jeers are a column, I think. (Could be wrong there.) And the B5 books are probably such small potatoes that they wouldn't be aware of them, or care if they did.

------------------
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back