• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 TV Movies on Video

Natron

Beyond the rim
Have the B5 movies (besides The Gathering and In The Beginning) been released on VHS or DVD???

I plan to buy the DVD with The Gathering and In The Beginning, but I would love to have the other movies on DVD.

I'll probably record them this week, but I would really like to have them on DVD with possible bonus material.

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

All of the TV movies were released on VHS in the UK. Whether or not the rest are released on DVD would depend on Warner Home Video being sufficiently pleased with sales of the current one.

------------------
"And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning." - Winston Churchill
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

All the episodes have been release in boxed sets here in the US on VHS as far as I know. The movies In the Beginning, and The Gathering were also released on VHS. I haven't seen Thirdspace, or A Call to Arms yet. As for DVD, only The Gathering/In The Beginning one has been released. They are waiting until they know how well this sells, before they decide on releasing the episodes. I already have my copy though.
laugh.gif

Rommie
rommie3.gif

------------------
Keeper of Rommie's Quarters
Commanding Officer of Zeta Squadron
Sworn to Protect the GODDESS
Recipient of the Golden Rommie
"You've just started a war. One you're going to lose." Rommie - All Too Human

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> All the episodes have been release in boxed sets here in the US on VHS as far as I know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not true. I'm sure someone could elaborate further, but from what I've heard, all of seasons 1 and 5 have been released on VHS in the US, with parts of 2 and 4, and either none or little of 3.

As for the movies, I have little idea, but I'd bet The Gathering and ItB are available, considering they're on DVD.

In short, there is no complete US VHS release of all B5 eps.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazybillyo:
In short, there is no complete US VHS release of all B5 eps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are absolutely correct. According to my records, they released all of season 1, up to tape 6 (of 11) of season 2, none of season 3, up to tape 3 (of 11) of season 4, and all of season 5. There are boxed sets available but -only- for those episodes that were released.

The whole thing was screwed up because WB wanted to release season 5. So, they released tapes from the beginning and end of the series and worked their way to the middle. Poor sales (because it was leaked that DVDs were to come out soon) made WB decide to stop producing more tapes so that is why the selection in the US is so chaotic. JoeD can probably give the whole story in more detail or someone can look up his post a while back on the subject.

The only movies released on VHS (NTSC format) were The Gathering and In the Beginning. All the movies have been released on VHS (PAL format) and only ItB and TG are available on DVD.

Unfortunately, there is no bonus material or anything special with the current DVD release but if you ever want to see more B5 DVDs, you better run out and buy it anyway. KoshN posted a great review from SciFi Weekly that would help clarify what to expect from the DVD.

Finally, feel free to puruse the Videos section of my web site for more information and purchasing options.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
There is nothing to fear in the dreaming, only that which we bring with us. --Dukhat

This whole UK/US video thing is quite intriguing. I remember seeing the VHS vids start to come out in the USA through ads in the B5 magazine, by which time we were well into S4 (IIRC) of releases here in the UK.

Sad couple as we are, we are the proud owners of the entire series and movies on VHS video. They were released (very sensibly) one tape per month, in order, starting not long after each season had been aired. All very civilised, spreading out the cost over 4 years or so.

My understanding is that they sold very well too - they were gemerally high in the sales charts in most of the stores we frequented.

The only thing we have never had (to my knowledge) is the re-edit of "The Gathering" so I am looking forward to receiving my DVD soon.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Having now rambled aimlessly, I was just wondering whether one of our US brethren could enlighten us as to whether the different treatment of US/UK fans over VHS releases stems from simple incompetence at WHV (not unlikely judging by other posts I have read on the subject) or from some difference in viewer culture that makes a Brit more likely to want to buy the whole run of a series on video.

I suppose it could be because multi-channel TV (and therefore more frequent repeats) is a new phenomenon over here.
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I was just wondering whether one of our US brethren could enlighten us as to whether the different treatment of US/UK fans over VHS releases stems from simple incompetence at WHV (not unlikely judging by other posts I have read on the subject) or from some difference in viewer culture that makes a Brit more likely to want to buy the whole run of a series on video.

I suppose it could be because multi-channel TV (and therefore more frequent repeats) is a new phenomenon over here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've answered your own question.
smile.gif

There always has been a difference in "video culture" between the two countries, and the difference in the availability of multi-channel TV is at the root of it.

Because there were fewer outlets for reruns in the U.K., TV shows often vanished once their original runs finished - sometimes for years at a stretch, sometimes forever. This gave fans in the U.K. an incentive to buy the shows. In the U.S., with its wealth of local and independent channels, most shows that ran at least three years have been re-run endlessly. If you can watch M*A*S*H three or four times a day on free TV, why pay for it.

(And TV - barring cable and satellite - always has been free here. No telly tax, which also plays into the psychology of the thing. People don't like to suddenly pay for something that usually costs them nothing.)

So for years the conventional wisdom in Hollywood - supported by sales figures - has been that TV shows don't sell on home video. At least not in large enough numbers to make them profitable for the studios. (Columbia House carved out a niche for itself offering TV series by subscription, under license from the studios, but they charge more than the studios could get away with.) The only exceptions were "cult" shows like Star Trek and The Twilight Zone which had huge fanbases built up over decades.

VHS tapes are also bulky and relatively expensive - not the ideal way to buy a whole TV series, especially a long-running one. (Even Fox issued The X-Files in partial sets, concentrating on "arc" or "most-requested" episodes, on VHS.)

What the studios are belatedly discovering is that the DVD market is not the VHS market, and the DVD fans are much more likely to be collectors. And, the TV market has changed considerably since the advent of UPN and The WB. There are fewer independent channels to carry reruns.

The proliferation of cable and satellite channels seems to be having the opposite effect - it is now too hard to find re-runs of a favorite show in the sea of channels. Finally DVD is inherently more of a collector's medium, and DVD fans tend to be more "purist" than VHS collectors or casual TV viewers. They want uncut versions of classic shows (which can't be seen on regular TV because the ratio of show to commercial has dropped over the years, and most re-runs have to be trimmed these days.)

Finally, in the specific case of B5, there is Warner Home Video itself. The company has always seen itself as the video arm of Warner Bros. Studio. Not only did they believe (with some reason) that "TV shows don't sell", they didn't want to sell TV shows - they saw (and see) themselves as being in the movie business and - like many who really are in the movie business - they look down on television.

So when JMS pestered them about a home video release while the show was in production, they ignored him. At the same time they are territorial, as all Hollywood entities are, so they resisted licensing the show to a third party for a home video release. (Because they might someday change their minds, you see.)

They finally did license the show to Columbia House (VHS) and Image Entertainment (LD) - and were astonished to see the reaction. That's when they finally agreed to release commercial tapes of their own. These initially sold well, despite a lack of promotion and a really strange release schedule. The bottom didn't fall out of the VHS market until a WHV executive named Mike Finnegan said, in a published interview, that the studio planned to release B5 on DVD. (An event that WHV still refuses to admit ever happened, despite the fact that many thousands of people read the interview at the time and the fact that it is still archived on-line.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Sorry about getting things mixed up back there. I never actually bought them, cause I alread had them all taped.
laugh.gif
But I do have the movies on VHS, cause I got em really cheap at Blockbuster.
tongue.gif

Rommie

------------------
Keeper of Rommie's Quarters
Commanding Officer of Zeta Squadron
Sworn to Protect the GODDESS
Recipient of the Golden Rommie
"You've just started a war. One you're going to lose." Rommie - All Too Human

I seem to remember something about Warner Home Video also being split into two pieces, one for Domestic and one for the rest of the world.

The Entire Warner conglomeration is incredibly balkanized.
The left hand often challenges the right hand to arm wrestle without seeming to realize they are both on the end of tentacles from the same beast.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back