• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 seasonDVD specs, pops, scratches problems

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by jman: </font color>
OK. Just for the record in MY case, I did not go frame by frame...initially. I sat down to see what they looked like so I could tell a friend about the quality so he could decide if he wanted to buy them too. I only made it 2 minutes into MOTFL and I had to stop the DVD and try to determine what the heck these flashes and flecks were!! I'd never seen anything like it on a DVD before. I know I am discerning when it comes to picture quality, but nothing like these scratches and flecks on the picture have ever caused me to stop the disc!! I am definitely more sensitive to geometry and color adjustements on my sets than cgi effects and other high end impurities. I had never had to deal with SCRATCHES and FLECKS and crap all over the screen before!

Didn't you notice them in "In the Beginning" ? (Not so much dust and scratches, but hair.)

I noticed the dust, and by the time I got to the frame I showed above, I was prompted to do a screencap. I'm not going through 'em frame-by-frame. I could, but who has that kind of time. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I can see the dust, scratches and hair, perfectly well on a 27" monitor, non-progressive scan Sony DVD player, and with monster cables (level 2) via composite video (not even S-Video).

I think we all have the same print, and that some are just more forgiving than others (unless, they do have a 19" or smaller set and are watching this "widescreen" version thru 300 ohm or 75 ohm video) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

I just wish Warner Brothers whould show B5/Crusade/Rangers about 1000 times more respect, and do the job right, instead of half-way. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif That said, the B5 we got on DVD is better than nothing.

Late reply to my earlier post. I never turned on the commentary (knowningly at least) and i couldn't figure out how to turn it off when i watched (at about 4 am so i was kinda out of it) so that's my bad. Like i said, it was late, i was tired and i couldn't sleep much less think.

Sinc
Jerome

Back in the 80's, I did a few theater evaluations for Lucas Films' Theater Alignment Program. Their materials were designed to make me hypersensitive to scratches and dirt, the point was to actually ignore the film, and watch the flaws. That carried over , so that when I went to see a film for fun, I was still noticing everything. Eventually, the effect was reduced, but I still try to see a new film on the first day, to see an undamaged print. Fortunately, I'm less critical of TV, since it's resolution is so much lower anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back