• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 S1 DVD: R1 v. R2

ibwolf

I just noticed that play.com has dropped it's price from 49.99 pounds to 39.99 for the R2 version. At the same time I noticed that they did not yet list any extras. This got me thinking if there might be some difference between the R1 and R2 versions. No R2 retailer that I checked listed any extras but Amazon.com dutifully reports the commentaries and other extras on the R1 version. Also play.com lists the aspect ratio as "Fullscreen 4:3", something I'm almost certain is in error. Anyway, my reason for posting is that I'm hoping one of you might be able to clue me in on this subject. If there is a difference I would very much like to know before play.com ships my preorder.

huh... ya know i'd not noticed that before but you're right, none of the R2 retailers are actually mentioning the special features, or even screen format.

but i'd imagine it very unlikely that after working on a box set for R1 they'd then spend time creating a different (and inferior) box set for R2...

if its of any help, you won't be alone whilst waiting and worrying for play to deliver the boxset!

No American sites I've seen list much in the way of features, either. The only reason Amazon.com has a much as it does is that fans like me went through the tedious process of submitting updates and corrections.

I would also be surprised if the R2 edition were substantially different. They may just be slashing prices to get a leg up on the competition. At least one U.S. dealer (of very questionable reputation /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) is advertising the set for a comparable price in dollars.

I have posted a message to usenet asking JMS what, if anything, he knows about the set in other regions, but he has not answered yet. I'm sure someone will post the message here when he does.

Regards,

Joe

actually joe i think its more a case of WHV UK doing very little promo work for the box set rather than an attempt by play to undercut their opposition.

most UK based sites seem to suggest that the RRP is £64.99 with various savings then offered. play, however, are selling for £39.99 based on their listed RRP of £44.99.

a mistake on their part? possibly, but if so its the third mistake i've seen so far - and the other two times the companies involved swiftly changed prices and cancelled the pre-orders. my belief is that WHV UK are just not promoting the box set, and certainly not getting the right information out there. i just hope the release date is set!

ah well, the box set is currently pre-ordered at three different sites, i'll wait til a day or two before launch before cancelling the preorders that are the most expensive! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

http://www.areadvd.de/discs/2002/babylon5.shtml <- just an idea, check it out /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
-----------
Spacecenter Babylon 5 - Staffel 1 (17.10.2002)

Bild: 1,77:1 (anamorph)
Ton: Englisch, Deutsch, Französisch (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Untertitel: Englisch, Französisch, Deutsch, Niederländisch, Schwedisch, Arabisch,Türkisch
Extras:
- Einführung und Audio-Kommentar zu zwei Schlüsselepisoden durch den Schöpfer der Serie, J. Michael Straczynski
- Hinter den Kulissen von Spacecenter Babylon 5
- Ein Dossier mit den Dokumentationen: Making of Babylon 5 und Back to Babylon 5
- Erleben Sie die Welt von Spacecenter Babylon 5: Rundgang durch die Raumstation und erkunden Sie Dateien über die Menschen, Ausserirdischen, die politische Situation, wissenschaftliche Daten, technische Informationen, die Waffen und Geräte dieser zukünftigen Welt
- Episodenvorschau

-------------

Finaly note. Please buy through a b5tv certified dealer /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

It seems that the extras are identical.

It would also answer some questions posted earlier. Namely it seems that Spanish subtitles are not included. The other matter... I guess they couldn't figure out which languages to include for Eastern Europe (most are Slavic languages, some are not, most use Latin alphabet, some use Cyrillic). Due to this mess, English will have to do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back