• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Returns To SciFi

Then if you want to keep recording, you're forced into some hard decisions. I'm using DVD-RAM discs the same way. Right now, all my discs are full, so I've got to offload some to VHS, or watch and delete some things to free up some discs.

I record first onto DVD-RAM. Then, I watch and if I want to keep something, I usually tape it to VHS cutting commercials. That way, I can't accidentally mess up a cut. If I screw up, I can always back up and try again.
smile.gif

I don't know about "broadcast quality" but a 4.7GB DVD-RAM (and also a 4.7 GB DVD-R) can hold:

<ul type="square">[*] 1 hour in XP.
[*] 2 hours in SP.
[*] 4 hours in LP.
[*] 6 hours in EP. I find this speed unacceptable. Quality is too low.
[*] FP speed will squeeze the best possible bit rate into the amount of time you have. e.g. When recording the 2nd half of the Farscape marathon, I used FP on a blank disc to record the last 5 hours.
[/list]

I find LP quite acceptable (better than VHS SP). The only problem is that on LP, the freeze frames show some grain. So, if frame grabs are needed, it's better to use SP, or even XP. When the picture is moving, LP looks perfectly fine.

I only use XP for very special things (e.g. Crusade, Brimstone, "Thirdspace" or "A Call to Arms" if they were broadcast again, now). I used to use SP on DVD-RAM for Buffy and Angel, but now I'm doing everything on LP (on DVD-RAM).

The sound, even on LP, is vastly better than tape. The clarity is incredible.

Get TiVo. Then it doesn't matter what time a show is on! ;-)

Tivo is the best invention since the microwave.

I agree. I've got ReplayTV and Digital Video Recorders are da bomb!!!!
tongue.gif

Back